C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech mods that wil not void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tech mods that wil not void warranty?

I'm picking up a '15 A8 base coupe with performance exhaust next week and wondering what HP/TRQ enhancement mods can be made that will not void the powertrain warranty.

Cold Air?
Headers?
X crossover?
Tune?
Other?

Tks for any advice.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/3469703-waiting-on-dyno-numbers-for-these-3-warranty-friendly-mods-post-em-up.html
Old 08-02-2015, 12:07 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Not following

T/A Kid
I read the link you replied with and I find mucho good info on various headers and tuning which I am interested in doing but I don't want to void the GM warranty.

So my question remains open.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:34 AM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flynhi
T/A Kid
I read the link you replied with and I find mucho good info on various headers and tuning which I am interested in doing but I don't want to void the GM warranty.

So my question remains open.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Generally any mech mods worth doing could be flagged during a warranty claim. For example you tinker with the exhaust and then get a CEL. Lawfully this should not affect other parts of the warranty.

My approach would be this:

1. Don't change anything and you don't have to worry about the warranty.
2. Wait out the warranty period and when it expires then apply mods or
3. Take your chances then apply mods knowing that any related issues could trigger out of pocket expenses.

Anything else is just splitting hairs.

Good luck
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Cold Air?

thanks Slesher
Generally I agree but wonder about something as simple as a cold air /better air filter such as KN.

Would this changeout affect the powertrain warranty?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I doubt an air intake would cause a warranty issue but I would check into the gains in power so you are not spending your mod money for nothing.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:26 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Cold Air INtake/ air filters

Good advice, Bob

Most manufacturers claim 10-15 HP and Trq over stock. Some e.g., Callaway seem more believable than others.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:22 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

You can do almost anything if you can get it back to completely stock, like when it left the factory. For instance, if you want to tune it, you can buy a second ECM and tune the new one, leaving your original stock. I am convinced that GM can determine 2 things if you tune your stock ECM... #1, how many times the ECM has been flashed. #2. the mileage when it was last flashed. Service records GM dealers post to GM would have to agree, and if not, they would likely deny any major repair expense.

The issue one can run into is if the car fails where you can't get it home to remove the mods. And.... how long it takes to return it to stock. Headers are a lengthy removal, as would an aftermarket FI system. However a ported intake, lower temp T-stat and an aftermarket CAI are pretty quick change-outs. To get better exhaust breathing, you can port/balance (blueprint) your cast iron exhaust manifolds which likely add as much as middies, and would never be noticed.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do this and you want more power, best solution is keep it stock, or find a used Z06 that won't break the bank in a year or 2.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Hard to believe that someone would be willing to go to the trouble of putting stock exhaust manifolds back in place of long tube headers for a service visit. Must not have much to do to spend that much time and aggravation for a few HP.

As was mentioned, what happens if you have a service requirement when out of town? May be SOL. Don
Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I dont understand why people ask questions like this. There are NO modifications that are "warranty friendly". The manufacturer has sold you a car and warranties it to be free from defect and craftsmanship -EXACTLY HOW IT WAS SOLD TO YOU-

If you change the characteristics of the car and alter the horsepower or braking or suspension of the car then they cant warranty the work that was done to the car or the parts that were put on. Only way that would work is if the parts were approved, sold, and installed by Chevy directly and they do not offer such services at this time.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I dont understand why people ask questions like this. There are NO modifications that are "warranty friendly". The manufacturer has sold you a car and warranties it to be free from defect and craftsmanship -EXACTLY HOW IT WAS SOLD TO YOU-

If you change the characteristics of the car and alter the horsepower or braking or suspension of the car then they cant warranty the work that was done to the car or the parts that were put on. Only way that would work is if the parts were approved, sold, and installed by Chevy directly and they do not offer such services at this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech mods that wil not void warranty?

Quick Reply: Tech mods that wil not void warranty?