C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFE CAI 2015 A8 Z51 - Install Length of Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Default AFE CAI 2015 A8 Z51 - Install Length of Time

For anyone who wondered how long it takes to install the AFE CAI on a Z51 C7. Here you go (time listed below each picture). No clue if I took too long to complete this install. First time doing it.

Note: I spent time reading through the entire instruction manual first and reviewing a couple of threads I found on the forum. Thanks to those who gave some tips to consider before starting. Also, gathered all tools up before opening the hood.

Hood open, can't turn back now.

6:35PM

Radiator air outlet channel removed.

6:41PM

MAF Sensor disconnected and factory intake tube removed.

6:44PM

Factory intake box removed.

6:47PM

AFE filter housing installed.

7:05PM

AFE air tube installed, MAF reconnected and vent hoses attached.

7:29PM

Radiator air outlet reinstalled.

7:37PM
Old 08-02-2015, 06:30 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Good job and quick. Noticed you have the dry filter. Does it run and sound different? Nice pictures..
?

Last edited by John Micheal Henry; 08-02-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
Good job and quick. Noticed you have the dry filter. Does it run and sound different? Nice pictures..
?
Thanks, wasn't sure how efficient that mod was vs. expected install time frame.

I did go with the dry filter as I have over oiled filters in the past and just really don't ever want to deal with that again. Plus, I'm ok with buying a new one if need be...just lazy that way.

It does run different. Some good and some bad. Without a tune I noticed some strange throttle responses. Granted, this was just during a quick run to make sure everything was connected correctly. So haven't run it long enough for a learn cycle to complete yet either. Ran ok today however. As far as performance speaking, not really sure as my seat dyno has never been calibrated.

This is basically just prep for ARH mid-length headers when I find the right price on them. Plus I haven't decided if I am going to cermaic coat a set when I get them first or not.

...and I installed this to hold off the big mod itches while I decide if I want to go s/c or not...or when....

So in a nutshell, I did this mod basically because I could. No real goal in mind other then to satisfy my modification bug.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Deicide

I did go with the dry filter as I have over oiled filters in the past and just really don't ever want to deal with that again. Plus, I'm ok with buying a new one if need be...just lazy that way.

It does run different. Some good and some bad. Without a tune I noticed some strange throttle responses. Granted, this was just during a quick run to make sure everything was connected correctly. So haven't run it long enough for a learn cycle to complete yet either. Ran ok today however. As far as performance speaking, not really sure as my seat dyno has never been calibrated.

This is basically just prep for ARH mid-length headers when I find the right price on them. Plus I haven't decided if I am going to cermaic coat a set when I get them first or not.

...and I installed this to hold off the big mod itches while I decide if I want to go s/c or not...or when....

So in a nutshell, I did this mod basically because I could. No real goal in mind other then to satisfy my modification bug.
I'm happy you like it, I'm on the fence on this CAI, I've read and heard that some people are losing power when the CAI was installed, maybe it will gain power with a tune who knows.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For anyone who wondered how long it takes to install the AFE CAI on a Z51 C7. Here you go (time listed below each picture). No clue if I took too long to complete this install. First time doing it.

Note: I spent time reading through the entire instruction manual first and reviewing a couple of threads I found on the forum. Thanks to those who gave some tips to consider before starting. Also, gathered all tools up before opening the hood.

Hood open, can't turn back now.

6:35PM

Radiator air outlet channel removed.

6:41PM

MAF Sensor disconnected and factory intake tube removed.

6:44PM

Factory intake box removed.

6:47PM

AFE filter housing installed.

7:05PM

AFE air tube installed, MAF reconnected and vent hoses attached.

7:29PM

Radiator air outlet reinstalled.

7:37PM
Thank you for the support! We are glad you enjoy it, but it does indeed have to go thru a learning curve.

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
I'm happy you like it, I'm on the fence on this CAI, I've read and heard that some people are losing power when the CAI was installed, maybe it will gain power with a tune who knows.
We personally cannot speak for those who have claimed power losses, since a lot can affect dyno gains. But one thing we always recommend to our customers, you have to let the car learn the new mod. We have had some who in past years, just drive the car straight to the dyno after install.

Unfortunately that is the case in some instances, and because of it we recommend to give the car sometime to learn and it will perform as intended
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Check out THMotorsports thread in the for sale section, I just ordered ARH mid lengths from them for $1125 shipped. Killer deal.

I plan to do the AFE along with them when they come in, and a diablew custom tune.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 10mm_
Check out THMotorsports thread in the for sale section, I just ordered ARH mid lengths from them for $1125 shipped. Killer deal.

I plan to do the AFE along with them when they come in, and a diablew custom tune.
That is a good deal, was that with or without cats?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That is a good deal, was that with or without cats?
Without. But the mids retain the rear two cats so I'm hoping I'll get the power gains and heat reduction of going catless but also cut down a little of the raspy noise and hopefully reduce some of the smell by keeping 2 of the cats.

I'm super excited to put them on lol

Get notified of new replies

To AFE CAI 2015 A8 Z51 - Install Length of Time

Quick Reply: AFE CAI 2015 A8 Z51 - Install Length of Time