C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 A8 Z51 Transmission Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2016 A8 Z51 Transmission Shifting Issue

I have had an issue with the A8 transmission in my 2016 Z51 from the start and am wondering if others are experiencing the same thing? It shifts fine up to third gear but hesitates for about two seconds before finally finding fourth gear. It first appeared at 6 miles on the odometer and I was initially told by the dealer to just drive it some more so the computer can "learn" when to shift. It came and went for a brief period but basically does it every time now. I have also noticed that when it is acting up there is a hesitation when switching into drive or reverse. When it does find the gear though it shifts hard.

The dealer has had the car for a while and has told me they want to replace the transmission, that they think it is bad and Chevy wants the transmission to do further diagnostic testing. I believe they have already tried re-flashing the software too and it didn't help anything.

Any other 2016's out there doing this??
The following users liked this post:
kkoenig314 (05-29-2016)
Old 08-06-2015, 08:20 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel your pain.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 AM
MR PRESTIGE
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
I have had an issue with the A8 transmission in my 2016 Z51 from the start and am wondering if others are experiencing the same thing? It shifts fine up to third gear but hesitates for about two seconds before finally finding fourth gear. It first appeared at 6 miles on the odometer and I was initially told by the dealer to just drive it some more so the computer can "learn" when to shift. It came and went for a brief period but basically does it every time now. I have also noticed that when it is acting up there is a hesitation when switching into drive or reverse. When it does find the gear though it shifts hard.

The dealer has had the car for a while and has told me they want to replace the transmission, that they think it is bad and Chevy wants the transmission to do further diagnostic testing. I believe they have already tried re-flashing the software too and it didn't help anything.

Yes i had a 2015 z51 A8 but it was happening in upshift from 1-2 and downshift into 1st gear with light pedal. I had the car for 2,500 miles. I never brought it in to be looked at. It never got worse and never got better. I would take a shot putting a few hundred miles on it before having a Trany replaced. Im not a fan of having a trany or motor replaced on a new car. Sometimes the car never feels right after this. I hope in your case it works out. Good luck
Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You have it on record that there is a problem with the trans right from the start, I would run it until it stops occasionally telling the dealer you have problems.

Get documentation every time you go to the dealer to prove you were there with the same problem multiple times.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well to completely understand what you believe is happening would require more information
1st the A6 and A8 trans's shift far quicker than ever before on a Corvette--
The key thing is that ABOVE 4000 RPM's you should hear or feel the engine stutter in between shifts--This is new for the Corvette where it actually shuts the fuel off during the shifts to make them quicker in milli seconds---Previous Corvettes used the Traction control and TQ management systems in between shifts
Below 4000 RPM's that fuel hut off does not happen-- The shift firmness is at the mercy of the STOCK tune and again as in the past the TQ control systems
Where exactly are you feeling something is amiss-----below 4000 or above 4000 ??
Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

The issue really kills the drivability of the car so I'd rather them replace it and get it right than constantly be taking it to the dealer, though I hope that doesn't cause other issues to come up.

I have been trying to keep the RPM below 4000 since the manual suggests this for the first 1500 miles, so it happens below this RPM. If I don't let off the gas when it hesitates, the RPM shoot up. It would hit the rev limiter if I didn't.

I've tried researching this issue on forums but haven't really found anything that mimics my issue, mostly overheating stuff on the 2015's. Wonder if more will pop up with time though when more 2016's are delivered?

Thanks for the input all!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

UPDATE: The transmission was replaced in the car and the SAME issue is still happening! So now GM is flying a field engineer down from Michigan to look at it. This will be the fourth attempt at fixing the problem. Since replacing the tranny didn't help my guess is that it has more to do with the software than something mechanical? The engineer will be here later this week so I hope to know a lot more soon!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

when I first start my 16 A8 in the morning and take off it hesitates about 2 seconds from 1st to 2nd. After that, no problems. I only have 350 miles on it so I'm waiting to see if it continues to happen.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 PM
MR PRESTIGE
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE: The transmission was replaced in the car and the SAME issue is still happening! So now GM is flying a field engineer down from Michigan to look at it. This will be the fourth attempt at fixing the problem. Since replacing the tranny didn't help my guess is that it has more to do with the software than something mechanical? The engineer will be here later this week so I hope to know a lot more soon!
Lemon Law the car and get a new one
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

I was hoping the car would just learn to shift correctly from driving it. Getting pretty frustrated at this point though...I may end up claiming it a lemon since it is the fourth attempt to fix it and they have had it two weeks at this point. I think the law is that it must be in their possession for 30 days and four attempts to correct the problem?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2015 does it. I wish I never would of got the A8. Nothing but problems.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Well all of this bad news about the A8 is discouraging ...getting mine delivered in a matter of days ... I am in no mood to start a new hobby ..spending $66,000 for a headache of any kind ain't gonna do it for me ... I will take the %^&#@ car back and tell the to keep it !

Get me a new one or a refund ! GM is the same old GM ..God I should have know better and bought a Lexus !!
The following 2 users liked this post by bbcb:
tstad9i1 (08-05-2018), vett2ooo (03-24-2017)
Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Without knowing or hearing exactly what you are experiencing I have to say that what you are feeling in NORMAL----Any 8 speed auto feels so much different than any auto before especially with 460 HP---- the Z06 with 625 HP can handle and work with an 8 speed auto tells me that GM has all the issues sorted out You can't compare a C5 or a C6 automatic to the new A8---Just as a comparison when GM started using Alison 6 speed autos on a diesel PU everyone thought that there was something amiss-- when in reality it was just a new learning curve on how the new trans acts and shift
You refuse to comment on my posts which tells me you have no idea what you are feeling or that you are simply over reacting to a new 8 speed auto---We still have NO exact details of what you are feeling or when you are feeling it
Yes of course a STOCK tune on an A8 may feel soft while shifting but only at P/T by design---Unless you describe more issues -- I have to assume that all you are feeling is a STOCK tuned A8 made to live long and not tuned foe racing
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

2015 Z06 A8 - 7000 (street only) miles so far, & the transmission does have a few skips here and there in it, but nothing i get overly concerned about...i attribute it mostly to my driving style and while the car is not fully warm - at 3800 to 4000 rpm there would be a slight skip/hesitation but this happens mostly when i am extra light footed, and i can easily drive thru or around the issue with a slightly more aggressive throttle input, or by just going to Track Mode

All in all, i found experimenting with my driving style tended to find the best way to drive the car

No way would i think i'd want a manual EVER AGAIN

for the record:

within the first 6000 miles...

2 Flex Plates (the rattle noise was intense)

1 Rear Differential (Service Rear Axle Code caused StabilTrac & Track Mode Performance Traction Management issues !)

LOVE THE CAR though
Old 09-29-2015, 09:58 AM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MR PRESTIGE
Yes i had a 2015 z51 A8 but it was happening in upshift from 1-2 and downshift into 1st gear with light pedal. I had the car for 2,500 miles. I never brought it in to be looked at. It never got worse and never got better. I would take a shot putting a few hundred miles on it before having a Trany replaced. Im not a fan of having a trany or motor replaced on a new car. Sometimes the car never feels right after this. I hope in your case it works out. Good luck
I have a 2015 Z/51 7spd, but am looking at these posts because I bought a 2015 GMC Denali Crew cab short box and it has the 6.2 and 8 speed -which I believe are basically the same as the Corvette.
At 1500 miles it started having this problem, especially coming to a stop, the 2-1 shift really bangs.
The truck forums that I have searched have some with the same issues regarding the A8 -most perfect, but some with this problem and no clear solution yet. I'm bringing it into the dealer Friday.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The 2-1 bang is a 0 pedal driver demand issue. The factory table has large negative torque demand at 0 pedal coming down in speed and when you get to 0 mph it demands 77 ft lbs (axle torque) from like -400.

I have been working with the driver demand table in the low speed / low (or zero) pedal areas as well as the downshift speeds/torque converter unlock speeds and have nearly eliminated the issue.

A large percentage (almost all) of the A8 issues are due to poor programming and don't need a transmission replacement. GM needs to crack some heads in their computer nerd dept and write some tunes that work better.
Doug Z06 (12-08-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
The 2-1 bang is a 0 pedal driver demand issue. The factory table has large negative torque demand at 0 pedal coming down in speed and when you get to 0 mph it demands 77 ft lbs (axle torque) from like -400.

I have been working with the driver demand table in the low speed / low (or zero) pedal areas as well as the downshift speeds/torque converter unlock speeds and have nearly eliminated the issue.

A large percentage (almost all) of the A8 issues are due to poor programming and don't need a transmission replacement. GM needs to crack some heads in their computer nerd dept and write some tunes that work better.
OK, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed -but I have a question.
To test this out, can I push the gas a little with my right foot when I brake with the left so that I am more than 0 pedal and it shouldn't bang or bang as much?

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 A8 Z51 Transmission Shifting Issue

Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glava2876
OK, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed -but I have a question.
To test this out, can I push the gas a little with my right foot when I brake with the left so that I am more than 0 pedal and it shouldn't bang or bang as much?
I just went out and tried this; just pressing the gas a little eliminated the bang or made it just barely perceptible. With no pedal, the bang comes right back -LOL, what can I do to keep the pedal a little greater than 0
Dean01 (11-03-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

Amen to that!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a early build 15 A8 none Z51 with no issue, shifts great, it must be a Z51 A8 programing issue. I am very pleased in the shifting and the 60" at WOT in the 1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: 2016 A8 Z51 Transmission Shifting Issue