C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 oil change disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:57 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember this happening before on this forum, what the dealer was told to do was change the air intake not clean it.

They are suppose to put on a new air intake and change all the lines related to the air intake system, it sounds like these idiots are trying to cheap their way out of their own mistake.

I remember reading it here, a year ago, it was on a 2014 Z51 that someone overfilled at a dealership.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:50 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I remember this happening before on this forum, what the dealer was told to do was change the air intake not clean it.

They are suppose to put on a new air intake and change all the lines related to the air intake system, it sounds like these idiots are trying to cheap their way out of their own mistake.

I remember reading it here, a year ago, it was on a 2014 Z51 that someone overfilled at a dealership.
While I agree this may be ok for a slight amount of oil from foaming, this is an order of magnitude worse overfill than a service flunkie adding an extra 0.5-1qt.

I personally believe the early reports of liquid oil in the intake from the dry sump burp lines was due to oil foaming on the factory fill oil than what was called overfill. A slight overfill condition (0.5qt) like even the race prep instructions say was an easy finger to point in the early days, but I think that was likely incorrect. I think GM figured this out through failure analysis and this led to the oil foaming discovery and new 500 mile initial oil change for Z51/Z06.

My additional reason for believing this is personal experience. I've owned both a 2014 Z51 and 2015 Z51. Both came identically filled from the factory (not overfilled), and I did the PDI with the tech and verified no added oil.

BUT... I followed the break in procedures religiously with both for the first 500 miles. I changed the factory oil on my 2014 at 2200 miles. I had 1/4 cup of oil in the intake from the sump burp line, and I believe this was pushed by oil foaming from spirited driving post-500 miles.

I changed the oil at 500 miles in my 2015, and the intake has been bone dry at ALL inspections. I now have 3800 miles. Maybe there were other factors, sure, but to me the simplest explanation is that foaming, not overfill, led to the burped oil on my 2014.

All that said, there should NEVER be liquid oil in the intake from the sump burp line for a properly maintained car. Period.

Oil vapor from the dirty side PCV (vent from drivers side valve cover) that gets on the throttle body and intake manifold is an entirely different matter/symptom. It won't cause liquid oil in the intake. Catch cans mitigate this if someone feels it's a problem.

Last edited by xp800; 08-09-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy

The dealership is supposed to call me on Monday with an update on if the car is ready or not. To replace the air intake and related hoses seems to a non- mechanic such as myself a no-brainier. I am definitely going to pose that question when they tell me it is ready. I can almost guarantee you that the air intake is hanging upside down somewhere with the oil draining out. When the service advisor calls I am going to ask if the air intake was cleaned or a new one was installed and the related hoses as well. Thanks for the information! I will definitely update everyone on the events from Monday.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by xp800

This whole situation OP is awful.

The fact that they are running your car and there is oil STILL contaminating the filter multiple times is unfathomable.

The oil from the severe overfill of the dry sump will have belched sufficient liquid oil into the intake tube that it HAS to have made its way into the intake manifold. And as said above, this can dump liquid oil on top of the intake valves too. NOT GOOD!

Had the dealership pulled the intake, PCV lines, and intake manifold, and then thoroughly cleaned them, then installed a new MAF (not a cleaned one after being doused in oil), the car should not have fouled a clean air filter. Period.

Also get all new spark plugs. The cats will hopefully clean themselves if fouled, but a CEL will let you know if not...

The fact they're running the car to "clean it out" is comical and sad at the same time.

The consequence of liquid oil in any significant amount making it into the combustion chamber has extremely negative consequences.

OP, I seriously would try to get someone at GM above these clowns to get some satisfaction. Sure your car comes with a 100k PT warranty (assuming 2014-2015), but a lot of bad stuff could have happened if your motor did shut down from liquid oil in the cylinders. Some may take time to show.

Once they fix your car properly, either request $1k in GM Store merchandise or a 10 year/100k $0 deductible bumper to bumper extended GM warranty.

Good luck, and keep up posted.
Thanks for the advice...........I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress and the outcome of Monday's call from the dealership. Where would I get a GM contact number from?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

When I had oil everywhere, the stuff was taken apart, sprayed with a degreaser, air blown to clean and the filter replaced. Nothing else needs to be done on the plumbing in front of the throttle body. If you have oil inside of the intake, they should pop the intake and clean it out.

Unless you locked up and caused damage to the engine, there is no need to do more.

Elmer
Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
When I had oil everywhere, the stuff was taken apart, sprayed with a degreaser, air blown to clean and the filter replaced. Nothing else needs to be done on the plumbing in front of the throttle body. If you have oil inside of the intake, they should pop the intake and clean it out.

Unless you locked up and caused damage to the engine, there is no need to do more.

Elmer
Elmer,

I agree that for minor issues, this may be fine. But the OP describes multiple quarts overfilled. Not just a little bit at PDI or oil foaming. It sounds like the PCV hoses were blown off due to the oil, not just a bit pushed out the filter box like we've seen in other posts. This coupled with the seeming ineptness of the dealership is concerning.

If the engine quit as a result of the massive amounts of oil in the intake tube, this means the likelihood is high that the intake manifold has liquid oil in it too. Simply removing the throttle body and using a flashlight or bore scope would verify. If there is oil in the manifold, it needs to get cleaned out, but this is something that wouldn't likely push more oil out the filter.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 AM
lsp408
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. At least dealer seems like a standup kind and taking care of you.

My issue sometimes with shop is I warm them be careful and don't do certain thing... They assured me they got their best guy on the job and I saw the eye roll. And I got put in the category of **** pain in the *** corvette owner with OCD. Then they still did what I told them not to do... anyway, I feel your pain and hopefully it will all be over soon and you can enjoy your car again.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by xp800
Elmer,

I agree that for minor issues, this may be fine. But the OP describes multiple quarts overfilled. Not just a little bit at PDI or oil foaming. It sounds like the PCV hoses were blown off due to the oil, not just a bit pushed out the filter box like we've seen in other posts. This coupled with the seeming ineptness of the dealership is concerning.

If the engine quit as a result of the massive amounts of oil in the intake tube, this means the likelihood is high that the intake manifold has liquid oil in it too. Simply removing the throttle body and using a flashlight or bore scope would verify. If there is oil in the manifold, it needs to get cleaned out, but this is something that wouldn't likely push more oil out the filter.
Pretty much. The fact that from the get-go they had oil in the intake past the TB says they needed to pull the intake. Trying to run the car to clear it is ignorant. The external parts are spray and wash to clean up (except the filter). Inside the intake is serious and they should know better than trying to run the car "clear".

Elmer
Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Pretty much. The fact that from the get-go they had oil in the intake past the TB says they needed to pull the intake. Trying to run the car to clear it is ignorant. The external parts are spray and wash to clean up (except the filter). Inside the intake is serious and they should know better than trying to run the car "clear".

Elmer
Ah! I just realized you are referring to the intake manifold when you're saying "intake". I thought (as I expect others did) that "intake" in your wording meant the intake tube/bridge/elbow...NOT the intake manifold. Now what you said in your post I replied to makes much more sense and we are in total agreement.

Right or wrong, I generally refer to "intake" as all the bits in front of the throttle body through the air filter (or CAI in aftermarket terms). And "intake manifold" is the plenum assembly/part between the throttle body and heads.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Correct, and still can run with a slightly bent rod from hydro-lock. Have seen this several times where the amount of liquid was not enough to grenade the piston/run, but did bend a rod slightly so it was not reaching "proper height in the hole" so that cylinder was down slightly on power.

The highly trained (being factious here) lube tech does it again!

I cannot bring myself to use a dealer for oil changes no matter how many free ones are included.

OP, make sure it runs as good as prior to the debacle. You also will have oil coated everywhere in your intake air charge portion of the system including the intake manifold, MAF wires soaked, and added intake valve coking deposits. Good luck!
Okay.....I received a call from the dealership this afternoon and they told me the car was ready. I went down to get the car and upon inspection it seems that they got it all cleaned up. The top of engine showed no signs of oil and when I got underneath it was clean as well. The only thing that they replaced was the air filter and they did it twice. Everything else they cleaned. The service advisor said(get this)they had their technician read up on changing the oil in the corvettes with the dry sump and he then changed my oil again. When I got in the the car and looked at the mileage it has 23 more miles on it since Friday afternoon and the car was in track mode. After driving home there is a humming noise coming from the right rear of the car. I asked to speak to the owner and/or the second in command and neither was there. I left a message with the receptionists and she said she would get it to them. I am not calling the dealership back and I will give them 24 hours to call me back. After that I will call GM for a resolution. I truly appreciate all the info I have gotten from all of you,Ralph
Old 08-10-2015, 08:07 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine doesn't stay in track mode after its turned off. Defaults back to touring mode if I park it in track mode.

Last edited by jerry07dx; 08-11-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I think all C7's default back to Touring after a drive cycle, except Sport mode.

The one thing I would want is to get all the codes the car had. I'd still at least pull some of the plugs & see if they're cleaned or oily or were recently clean.

Wormwood
Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wormwood
I think all C7's default back to Touring after a drive cycle, except Sport mode.

The one thing I would want is to get all the codes the car had. I'd still at least pull some of the plugs & see if they're cleaned or oily or were recently clean.

Wormwood
Thanks everyone....at this point I am just aggravated,frustrated and discouraged.....
Old 08-11-2015, 06:47 AM
lsp408
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand your frustration. But I am 100% sure when you got in your car you saw T not Tr. I know sport mode and others will stay but if you left in Tr mode, the next start up it will default back to touring mode. Just take deep breath and go enjoy the car
Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I am sorry, but more than likely the engine plugs were fouled with oil & the ECM threw a misfire code as your engine died. A hydrolocked engine would have been very dramatic & unnatural compared to the engine just dying. If you were to speak to the folks that own the dealership, it would be reasonable to ask them, to have the intake valves cleaned, as I'm sure there more residual oil up there. It's not detrimental but would be something I doubt that performed. Otherwise as long as it starts with no smoke, I'd drive it & check the oil level make sure it's not over filled. Then drive, enjoy, & repeat daily...

Wormwood
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I cannot bring myself to use a dealer for oil changes no matter how many free ones are included.

I'm with you there to me the peace of mind of doing it myself is well worth the 30 or 40 bucks it costs me.

Just knowing that I primed my filter and knowing exactly what oil went in my engine, is worth every cent I had spend.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

This all Day----Then drive, enjoy, & repeat daily... Don't let the incompetence of others affect your stress and well being.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 oil change disaster

Old 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Here is a picture of a bent rod that happened from a similar event. Ran fine except for a slight miss and owner said it was down on power:

No oil burning, etc. just was "not quite right" and the owner insisted in a tear down as compression was slightly lower in that cylinder. Surprise to all when they found this. Same thing, partial hydrolock and car ran perfect according to dealer, but owner kept on them:

Note, owner thought it had a noise and look at bearings. He would have found out sooner than later and dealer said they could hear nothing unusual. SOmetimes the owner just "knows" the feel of their baby.
Question.......where should the car idle? Mine idles a 6000 rpm and bounces up and down and there is a roaring noise that I did not have before.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I went in and got a free oil change and got a free stage 1 one front spoiler scuffed up. It didn't get paint damage all plastic but it is ugly. I let it go simply because I had already very slighty scuffed the tip myself.
I already have the replacement new one on hand.
I didn't want to cause someone grief like no job! But shezz!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:04 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your car idles at 6000??????

Quick Reply: C7 oil change disaster