C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 oil change disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry07dx
your car idles at 6000??????
Sorry...one too many zeroes. It is idling at 600 rpm and the needle is very erratic.If you listen to the exhaust you can hear what sounds like a miss. The car does not behave as it did before the oil change disaster.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I went in and got a free oil change and got a free stage 1 one front spoiler scuffed up. It didn't get paint damage all plastic but it is ugly. I let it go simply because I had already very slighty scuffed the tip myself.
I already have the replacement new one on hand.
I didn't want to cause someone grief like no job! But shezz!
Why can't folks just do good work anymore?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordtruck1969
Thanks everyone....at this point I am just aggravated,frustrated and discouraged.....
Just catching back up on this. Wow. It really seems the dealership did what a number of us speculated...a terrible, novice job.

I would urge you to contact the service manager again and ask him these questions:
  1. Did you remove the throttle body and inspect inside the intake manifold for any signs of liquid oil?
  2. If oil was found in the intake manifold, how was it cleaned?
  3. Did you inspect and/or replace the spark plugs?

If they did not inspect inside the intake manifold, you really need to insist that they do so...while you watch!

If they found oil in the intake manifold, they should have done a foam cleaning (as mentioned earlier) AND replaced your spark plugs.

Frankly, even if the service manager said they inspected it, I am 99% sure they didn't. He'd say yes to cover his butt at this point, IMO.

If you have any mechanical skills, or even know what a screw driver and socket wrench are (and own them), it's really easy to inspect yourself. Takes less than 10 minutes.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by xp800
Just catching back up on this. Wow. It really seems the dealership did what a number of us speculated...a terrible, novice job.

I would urge you to contact the service manager again and ask him these questions:
  1. Did you remove the throttle body and inspect inside the intake manifold for any signs of liquid oil?
  2. If oil was found in the intake manifold, how was it cleaned?
  3. Did you inspect and/or replace the spark plugs?

If they did not inspect inside the intake manifold, you really need to insist that they do so...while you watch!

If they found oil in the intake manifold, they should have done a foam cleaning (as mentioned earlier) AND replaced your spark plugs.

Frankly, even if the service manager said they inspected it, I am 99% sure they didn't. He'd say yes to cover his butt at this point, IMO.

If you have any mechanical skills, or even know what a screw driver and socket wrench are (and own them), it's really easy to inspect yourself. Takes less than 10 minutes.
Thanks.......I reached out to GM yesterday afternoon and I have not heard back from them. I speculate that they cleaned up the oil and inserted a new filter and as long as there were no codes they declared it good. When I moved the car yesterday it was very evident to me that the car was not idling properly and you could hear it in the exhaust note and the engine movement was different as well. There is a humming/ roaring noise that seems to be in time with the idle rpm. I will certainly have the above suggested questions ready when I make contact with them. I asked to speak to the dealership owner on Monday and left a message and he has yet to call me as well,Ralph
Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 AM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Integrity is a thing of the past. If I were that owner you would be at the top of my list to take care of. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. It goes a looooong way when a man makes things right for his mistakes.
I only trust ONE shop to detail my vette or any car for that matter because I know without a doubt if any of his employees ever damaged the slightest part, no matted if it were an engine, scratched paint, broken blinker, he would fix it without question. I know STUFF happens and I would still be a repeat customer if they ever messed up anything knowing I have peace of mind that it would be taken care of.....
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I would also make sure that the paperwork from the service department provides a pretty good description of what happened and what has been done since a written record by the dealership may be important in future actions. If you don't have the event and followup actions (cleaning, air filter, etc.) on your service ticket make sure this is added to keep the record accurate.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerry07dx
Integrity is a thing of the past. If I were that owner you would be at the top of my list to take care of. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. It goes a looooong way when a man makes things right for his mistakes.
I only trust ONE shop to detail my vette or any car for that matter because I know without a doubt if any of his employees ever damaged the slightest part, no matted if it were an engine, scratched paint, broken blinker, he would fix it without question. I know STUFF happens and I would still be a repeat customer if they ever messed up anything knowing I have peace of mind that it would be taken care of.....
I agree......I am 55 years old and it used to be when a man told you something you could depend on it. When someone performed a service they stood behind it. A persons yes was yes and thier no was no. Perception versus reality....Chevrolets perception is that their dealers know and understand the cars they are producing when in reality this is not always the case,Ralph
Old 08-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSC5
I would also make sure that the paperwork from the service department provides a pretty good description of what happened and what has been done since a written record by the dealership may be important in future actions. If you don't have the event and followup actions (cleaning, air filter, etc.) on your service ticket make sure this is added to keep the record accurate.
I talked to the dealership service advisor this morning and he told me they did not check the plugs or anything like that but assured me that the oil did not get into the cars intake. All they did was clean it up and put a new filter in. He apologized that I was having problems and he scheduled an appointment for this Friday. I did just get off the phone with GM and they are contacting the dealership so it should be interesting Thursday.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

I talked to the dealership service advisor this morning and he told me they did not check the plugs or anything like that but assured me that the oil did not get into the cars intake. All they did was clean it up and put a new filter in. He apologized that I was having problems and he scheduled an appointment for this Friday. I did just get off the phone with GM and they are contacting the dealership so it should be interesting Thursday.
Again...wow. All this positivity that no oil could have reached the intake manifold from a SM who had to have his tech "research" how to service a dry sump.

I do hope you insist that they pull the throttle body off and "prove" this to you WHILE YOU WATCH. Have them shine a light in the snout and reach in with a clean shop rag. See what comes out. Do this before you give them the opportunity to put more miles on your car. And if the rag comes out oily, consider whether you want them doing any further work with all their "expertise".

If your car needs further work, I'd find another dealership with some experience, have GM Cust Svc forward all your details, and work directly with the SM. If the oil made it to the manifold, have it pulled and cleaned, get new spark plugs, and as you saw earlier, request a compression test.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

A couple of pics from my car after the oil change.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Ford truck,
Are you a member of your local corvette club? Do you have one, locally? I think you need another set of eyes on this besides yourself.

Hawker 800XP is right & that looks like alot of oil. The service dept. telling you no oil made it into the intake is incorrect. If the pictures are of your car's intake, then I'm 100% sure some oil made it into your cylinders. How much.... ??? If the car is not idling like it use to don't accept the car, take it back.

Do you have a picture of the air filter with oil on it?

Wormwood
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Ford truck,
Are you a member of your local corvette club? Do you have one, locally? I think you need another set of eyes on this besides yourself.

Hawker 800XP is right & that looks like alot of oil. The service dept. telling you no oil made it into the intake is incorrect. If the pictures are of your car's intake, then I'm 100% sure some oil made it into your cylinders. How much.... ??? If the car is not idling like it use to don't accept the car, take it back.

Do you have a picture of the air filter with oil on it?

Wormwood
I have an appointment to take it back Friday morning. There is not a local club in my area. I attached a photo of the front of the car and the air filter is to the right.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:21 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree, let someone else look at it, but dont keep the doom and gloom posters keep you from enjoying your car. The car does have a slight lope, its supposed to as its a performance engine.ENJOY IT !!!!If it has been cleaned, its documented, check it next time you come in. Valve coking takes time, not from a single misting. I run a catch can to help slow it, but I still think a small amount of oil mist may help with keeping valve seals lubricated and doing their job. easy to see if a cylinder is out of balance, also misfires can be recorded and if present will turn on check engine light. My thought is, It was a mistake, they cleaned it up, your are driving, have fun with it and stress over bigger more important issues out there. My car is my place to go when I need to get away. Don't let it run your life.
The following users liked this post:
Artizan (06-20-2016)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by sycraft
I agree, let someone else look at it, but dont keep the doom and gloom posters keep you from enjoying your car. The car does have a slight lope, its supposed to as its a performance engine.ENJOY IT !!!!If it has been cleaned, its documented, check it next time you come in. Valve coking takes time, not from a single misting. I run a catch can to help slow it, but I still think a small amount of oil mist may help with keeping valve seals lubricated and doing their job. easy to see if a cylinder is out of balance, also misfires can be recorded and if present will turn on check engine light. My thought is, It was a mistake, they cleaned it up, your are driving, have fun with it and stress over bigger more important issues out there. My car is my place to go when I need to get away. Don't let it run your life.
Thanks.......I talked to the dealership owner today and my appointment is Friday. Hopefully we can get everything resolved and we can all move on. Summer is fleeting and I want to be able to squeeze a few more road trips in before hibernation.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
This could be from several things, the first I would have examined is the MAF sensor to make sure the resistor wires were properly cleaned as any oil present on them will result in inaccurate readings. (log it w/HP tuners or EFI live and pay attention to the short term fuel trims).

Partially fouled plug or two, or a slightly bent rod from the partial hydro-lock I would definitely be amazed if enough oil did not enter the combustion chambers with the pictures you posted. Liquid will not compress like a gas will, so something has to give with the high compression of these engines. A compression test (done by a trusted independent) will show slightly less compression in the cylinder if a rod started to bend as the pic I posed. Your symptoms are similar to that car owners, but first look at the simple causes and not be "doom and gloom" as Sycraft suggests, but keep in mind, if any substantial amount made it into the combustion chamber, even as little as an oz. or less will cause hydro-lock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...w=1600&bih=775

It only takes a small amount to bend a rod.

A stuck injector or a gulp of oil will bend even the strongest forged rod:

Thanks for the info.........is there a machine that the dealership has that will give any insight? Can they hook up to the cars computer and gather information?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Thanks for the info.........is there a machine that the dealership has that will give any insight? Can they hook up to the cars computer and gather information?
The dealership owner called me today and apologized that the oil change mis-hap had took place. He also said that any issues that I was having now was not related to the botched oil change. I saw how the conversation was going and I thanked him for calling and hung up the phone. The service advisor said they had went over the car and could find nothing wrong. They also said that no oil had gotten into the intake and if it had it would have just burned off. They performed the gas tank recall and said they had me a rental car so they could drive my car some more and see if they could find something wrong. I declined the offer and brought my car home. If it breaks they can fix or replace. They did tell me that not many vettes came through there and they learned some valuable lessons in working with mine. I am glad I could pay the bill.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Hey everyone......been gone for awhile and here is the latest on the oil change saga...I now have a vibration from first to second to third and the engine runs hotter than before and the gas mileage does not seem to be as good as it was pre- oil change. I installed a k&n air filter 2 weeks ago and when I pulled the plastic hose off the throttle bottle it had oil in the throttle body. I took pictures and I kept the oil on the cloth that I cleaned it up with. Now this has been several months since the mis-hap. I have contacted GM and I am waiting on thier response.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 oil change disaster

Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Jet Driver
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that you are enjoying the Z06 loaner while you wait.
Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Rwp315
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil change

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
With the dry sump system having been around for years, it is incredible that this can still happen.
What do you expect? They don't want to hire anyone they have to pay. My wife (former teacher) has spoken of how dumb and dumber get passed through school. We have so called adults working at the dealerships that know nothing about the cars they are selling. Management just wants the cash and doesn't want their employees to know to much. No one takes any responsibility or has any enthusiasm about the product. We bought ours by putting down the deposit and our '02 vert. Scheduled to pick it up a day and a half later saying it would be brought in and detailed over the weekend. Promised to garage it. Drove by the dealership at 11:30 pm on Saturday night and my wife sees the car still sitting outside on the front row. No wonder I'd rather do it myself. We are becoming a sad state of affairs.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:38 PM
hayabusa1214
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwp315
What do you expect? They don't want to hire anyone they have to pay. My wife (former teacher) has spoken of how dumb and dumber get passed through school. We have so called adults working at the dealerships that know nothing about the cars they are selling. Management just wants the cash and doesn't want their employees to know to much. No one takes any responsibility or has any enthusiasm about the product. We bought ours by putting down the deposit and our '02 vert. Scheduled to pick it up a day and a half later saying it would be brought in and detailed over the weekend. Promised to garage it. Drove by the dealership at 11:30 pm on Saturday night and my wife sees the car still sitting outside on the front row. No wonder I'd rather do it myself. We are becoming a sad state of affairs.
Hi there , I read more than post but I have to say what a f........ nightmare, I just had my oil changed at the dealer, if was free and luckily these guys have 20 vettes there at all times, I really feel for you and they better fix that crap NO WAY you should be goping thru this garbage.

Quick Reply: C7 oil change disaster