C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 oil change disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C7 oil change disaster

Went to get my first oil change at the dealership today. I told the service advisor that I was no mechanic but that my car had the dry sump system in it and that I wanted to make sure that whoever serviced it would know. Went back to the dealership and found my car washed and shined up and ready to go. I signed the paperwork and drove it out of the bay. Once outside the check engine light came on and the engine shut off. The service advisor plugged the computer into it and it gave a code for lean fuel mixture. Upon further examination they found oil in places that it should not be. The guy that had changed my oil did not drain the sump system and overfilled the oil. The oil had no where to go but out where it could escape. There is oil all over the engine compartment and on the steering components etc. the air filter system is completed saturated with oil and oil is in the throttle body. What do I do? It is sitting in a bay at the dealership tonight as they await GM to provide a resolution........
Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

With the dry sump system having been around for years, it is incredible that this can still happen.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
With the dry sump system having been around for years, it is incredible that this can still happen.
Especially when I made mention of it. They found a air filter about 100 miles away and they were going after it when I left the dealership tonight. They said they were having 2 more overnighted. I suppose they are going to clean it all up and put it back together and then run it till the engine codes go away and there is no oil on the air filter. Is there any harm to the engine because of this and should they change the oil all over again?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordtruck1969
Went to get my first oil change at the dealership today. I told the service advisor that I was no mechanic but that my car had the dry sump system in it and that I wanted to make sure that whoever serviced it would know. Went back to the dealership and found my car washed and shined up and ready to go. I signed the paperwork and drove it out of the bay. Once outside the check engine light came on and the engine shut off. The service advisor plugged the computer into it and it gave a code for lean fuel mixture. Upon further examination they found oil in places that it should not be. The guy that had changed my oil did not drain the sump system and overfilled the oil. The oil had no where to go but out where it could escape. There is oil all over the engine compartment and on the steering components etc. the air filter system is completed saturated with oil and oil is in the throttle body. What do I do? It is sitting in a bay at the dealership tonight as they await GM to provide a resolution........
Lucky it still runs could have hydrolocked it with oil. Major screw up!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Lucky it still runs could have hydrolocked it with oil. Major screw up!
I am nervous.......very nervous......I took pictures of everything and the service advisor admitted they were the ones who messed up. Incredible that the folks that built the car cannot service properly. They sent me home in a 2015 Silverado. I am supposed to get an update Saturday.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow that sucks I would be very nervous my own self, I feel for you, this is why a lot of owners do their own oil changes to avoid this type of crap.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

He said the engine shut off, I think it might already be too late for that engine.

They would have to give me a forever warranty on that engine.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

That is really inexcusable on the part of the dealership. I fully understand that they cannot reasonably assign a highly certified mechanic to do a simple oil change but that doesn’t absolve them of the duty to have the job done right. Don
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Just curious, how can oil get into the intake besides go around the piston rings? I guess the valve also could leak.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:26 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is awful. Hope they resolve this for you quickly.

At least demand the results of a comp/leak down test before accepting the car back.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

I will update everyone as soon as I hear from the dealership. That should be today/Saturday. Was it a full moon yesterday? My daughter had borrowed my Subaru and drove it to work. When she came out to get in it someone had ran into it and pulled the front bumper off. Hit and run.............man-o-man!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:09 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I will update everyone as soon as I hear from the dealership. That should be today/Saturday. Was it a full moon yesterday? My daughter had borrowed my Subaru and drove it to work. When she came out to get in it someone had ran into it and pulled the front bumper off. Hit and run.............man-o-man!

Tell us where you live so we can avoid getting too close to that much bad luck!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by BWFitz
Tell us where you live so we can avoid getting too close to that much bad luck!
I hear ye! Okay....here is the latest.......I spoke with the assistant service manager today and she said they were still cleaning everything up. She said that they are putting new air filters in and then running the car. Once it has run for a specified period of time they will check the air filter to see how clean or dirty it is. They are on their 3rd air filter and the car is not where it should be. She said that I might have the car back late Monday. I am not holding my breath. When I go to pick it up I will carry a fine tooth comb to go over it........the saga continues....tune in to the same bat channel at the same bat time!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default C7 Oil Change Disaster

At this point I'd be demanding a new engine.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I am nervous.......very nervous......I took pictures of everything and the service advisor admitted they were the ones who messed up. Incredible that the folks that built the car cannot service properly. They sent me home in a 2015 Silverado. I am supposed to get an update Saturday.
They are not the folks that built the car. Dealerships are generally clueless. Sorry about your problem, I hope they make it right.
The following users liked this post:
Black and Red (05-20-2016)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Fordtruck1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by 10mm_
They are not the folks that built the car. Dealerships are generally clueless. Sorry about your problem, I hope they make it right.
We will see what happens on Monday. I may have to get Chevrolet involved if it is not resolved correctly. I am waiting on the dealership owner to call me. He owns several dealerships and brands.Thanks to everyone for your input and wise words!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Just curious, how can oil get into the intake besides go around the piston rings? I guess the valve also could leak.
PCV hoses to the air filter, through the intake hoses, fill the sound deadening baffle, up the intake hose, past the throttle body, into the intake, and every time an intake valve opens oil will go into the cylinder, would be my guess.

Pretty easy on a dry sump. I had my car full of oil all the way to the front of the throttle body due to a dealer topping off my system while it was sitting cold. By the time I got to Cincinnati, I had oil dripping out of my air filter and leaving one hell of a mess on my son's garage floor.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To C7 oil change disaster

Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=Jedi-Jurist;1590229537]At this point I'd be demanding a new engine.[/QUOTE

A little extreme, should be fine, Clean everything, Replace filters, change oil to proper levels, drive and change again. Biggest time part is all the clean up.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

i remembered when i took mine in for the first time. Was little scared they would screw it up.

While they were changing my oil. they made sure each other knew it was a dry sump and it was different process. its all luck of the draw with dealerships.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
PCV hoses to the air filter, through the intake hoses, fill the sound deadening baffle, up the intake hose, past the throttle body, into the intake, and every time an intake valve opens oil will go into the cylinder, would be my guess.

Pretty easy on a dry sump. I had my car full of oil all the way to the front of the throttle body due to a dealer topping off my system while it was sitting cold. By the time I got to Cincinnati, I had oil dripping out of my air filter and leaving one hell of a mess on my son's garage floor.

Elmer

This whole situation OP is awful.

The fact that they are running your car and there is oil STILL contaminating the filter multiple times is unfathomable.

The oil from the severe overfill of the dry sump will have belched sufficient liquid oil into the intake tube that it HAS to have made its way into the intake manifold. And as said above, this can dump liquid oil on top of the intake valves too. NOT GOOD!

Had the dealership pulled the intake, PCV lines, and intake manifold, and then thoroughly cleaned them, then installed a new MAF (not a cleaned one after being doused in oil), the car should not have fouled a clean air filter. Period.

Also get all new spark plugs. The cats will hopefully clean themselves if fouled, but a CEL will let you know if not...

The fact they're running the car to "clean it out" is comical and sad at the same time.

The consequence of liquid oil in any significant amount making it into the combustion chamber has extremely negative consequences.

OP, I seriously would try to get someone at GM above these clowns to get some satisfaction. Sure your car comes with a 100k PT warranty (assuming 2014-2015), but a lot of bad stuff could have happened if your motor did shut down from liquid oil in the cylinders. Some may take time to show.

Once they fix your car properly, either request $1k in GM Store merchandise or a 10 year/100k $0 deductible bumper to bumper extended GM warranty.

Good luck, and keep up posted.

Last edited by xp800; 08-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 oil change disaster