C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

The throw is shorter than the factory shifter, 30% shorter I believe, and the shift effort increases but not as much as you would think. The shifter is much more precise and is a quality piece. It's fairly simple to install and, in my opinion, is a great upgrade.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks TexHawk
Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I just put the Hurst -core in mine.I would say 30% shorter shift.It has A great feel.Most
People that have went with another brand say it's the best.It's the only brand they've ever
Tried.There's getting to be more cars with each brand try each one out and see what works good for you.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 AM
BillB3672
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Check out the MGW video

Check out the video on the MGW website that shows the detail for installation of the shifter including the installation of the insulation!
BTW I have owned 2 MGW shifters also had a Hurst and prefer the MGW.

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Well seems like the MGW is the way.

3Zo6zr1: When you insulate the console what is that method? My storage does heat up.

thanks all I love this forum.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by BillB3672
Check out the video on the MGW website that shows the detail for installation of the shifter including the installation of the insulation!
BTW I have owned 2 MGW shifters also had a Hurst and prefer the MGW.
I agree that the MGW is probably better than the original Hurst billet shifter, but the custom Hurst shifter from Core Shifters has a totally different feel..

HURST BILLET SHIFTER VS Stock C5 shifter

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-01-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I agree that the MGW is probably better than the original Hurst billet shifter, but the custom Hurst shifter from Core Shifters has a totally different feel..

HURST BILLET SHIFTER

I agree the Hurst Core shifter is definitely A 30% shorter throw than the stock C7 shifter.I love it.And it has the hurst Handle with the Hurst T handle it looks fantastic.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

HURST BILLET SHIFTER

I have that exact shifter in my 2008. Improvement from the stock but not as sweet as the MGW. Short as well but needs more effort. No stock **** reuse either.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just installed an MGW in my Grand Sport and there is definitely a world of improvement over the stock shifter. It seems there's no more guessing at what gear you're headed for. I have missed shifts to 3rd with the stock shifter...granted, it was at the drag strip where the excitement of the runs may have had an effect on the shift, but the MGW feels as if you'd have to try hard to miss it. Great shifter at a great price and easy to install.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Check out some of our latest reviews from customers that had the opportunity to check our shifters out first hand in our test cars and displays at Holley LS fest this past weekend. They loved them so much they purchased on the spot.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...os-inside.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-action.html

C5 SHifter Video

C7/C6 Shifter Video

Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Everyone says the MGW has a shorter throw than the stock shifter, but no one ever posts what the throw is... The stock shifter throw is only about 3 inches from 3rd to 4th, so the MGW cannot be that much less.

My Hurst shifter feels more precise than the stock shifter, but the throw is only about 1/8th inch less.

I did see a Hinson shifter that claims to have a 2 inch throw, but the shift effort increase is significant.
NOT TRYING TO BE A D!CK HERE - But if you haven't driven it yet don't comment on it.

There is no "significant increase in effort" on our shifter. After about 500 miles it goes into gear like butter. We understand that you are trying to be helpful in providing information to the forum, but stick to the facts and commenting on things you have driven before false information starts floating around.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Just installed an MGW in my Grand Sport and there is definitely a world of improvement over the stock shifter. It seems there's no more guessing at what gear you're headed for. I have missed shifts to 3rd with the stock shifter...granted, it was at the drag strip where the excitement of the runs may have had an effect on the shift, but the MGW feels as if you'd have to try hard to miss it. Great shifter at a great price and easy to install.
You can take all the others together and they don't add up to an MGW.
I put a short shifter in from Hurst in the 90's. Then the Billet plus came out.

I used the Hurst billet plus for years between cars. Like it a little stiff
a little noise all while the MGW people were treating there shifter like a religion.

The MGW has countless hours of improvement the makers were
relentless to make a better product.

After years they have done it. The new MGW is not just a shifter you get a whole rebuild kit complete.
Unique Action to the other's.

You want the VERY BEST quality buy the MGW nothing compares.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-15-2015 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Micheal Henry (09-16-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by HinsonSuperCars
NOT TRYING TO BE A D!CK HERE - But if you haven't driven it yet don't comment on it.

There is no "significant increase in effort" on our shifter. After about 500 miles it goes into gear like butter. We understand that you are trying to be helpful in providing information to the forum, but stick to the facts and commenting on things you have driven before false information starts floating around.
Just a matter of geometry and physics....
Even with zero friction, the force to shift the transmission stays the same, so if you shorten the lever arm, the required shifting force must increase...
I have read posts from Hinson users stating that they noticed the increase in force and asking how long it takes for the shifter to "loosen up" If you can feel the increased effort, then it is significant.

Here is a 10 min. sketch and analysis that demonstrates that shortening the throw by 1/3rd (say from 3 inches to 2 inches), increases the shift effort by 1 -1/2 times.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-15-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 AM
gilbos440rt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't argue with math, not saying that's it's not a damn good shifter, I didn't think Texhawko was either, he was just pointing out that a shorter throw is going need a bit more force than a longer throw which common sense tells you is true.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:24 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

To me I could care less how hard it is to sling the shifter as long as it's A shorter throw.
I mean if it was only A 1/2 inch from gear to gear but it would take 40 pounds of my arm
Strength to get it there then something would have to give.Maybe lift more Dumbbells lol.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

One other thing you have to bear in mind is friction. The ball that drops into the shift rod may have more, or less, friction than the plastic piece that is on the bottom of the stock shifter. I think that's one thing that makes the MGW seem to have less effort than you would think it should just based on the lever effect.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 AM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

My two cents. Just finished the MGW Short Throw shifter install. A+! operation. I'm a (as we call it in the motorcycle world) farkle (accessoriies) junkie, and have had lots of experience with doo dads that brag about improvement over OEM, but in actuality provide nothing. I was still missing shifts with the OEM shifter after 10,000 miles. Yes, if I thought hard about every shift I could avoid it, but what's the point? The Short Throw MGW shifter from the time I pulled out of my driveway was a huge improvement. Really solid lock into gear feeling, and a much shorter travel. Zero missed shifts. It knows exactly what gear you're headed for, even when skipping gears, say from 3rd to 7th, or from 6th to 3rd, and never misses a beat.
Highly recommend. The video definitely has some errors to it, but I got it done. If anyone wants details on the video installation errors, PM me.

Last edited by bikevette; 11-09-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:36 AM
408sbc
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Both My wife and I agree, our MGW was excellent when first installed and seems to have become even better with time. I am not sure I would have believed there would be a "break-in" period to the MGW prior to my install, but that does seem to be the case. Most of us with the M7 bought it because we thoroughly enjoy the added dimension and involvement with the driving experience - the MGW truly enhances that experience.

BTW - here is a very good tip for your install that I employed and very much recommend: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-top-boot.html

Quick Reply: Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters