C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone measured Alky/Meth distribution to each runner/cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 454 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Anyone measured Alky/Meth distribution to each runner/cylinder?

This is really a two part question.

1. I'm concerned with placement of the IAT if I break it out. There's lots of flow and turbulence in the intake. Most say put the IAT opposite the meth nozzle but at WOT and high RPM, will it even reach the IAT?

2. If you point the nozzle anywhere other than midway from left bank/right bank. I have to assume one bank will be favored for getting more meth. Specially considering the bend just prior to the throttle body.

I realize short of 8 injectors, there is no way to balance but we can at least try to atomize and balance left and right banks with nozzle direction. THOUGHTS?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My thoughts are that you overthink everything... Man, put that S/C on that car and drive it. I respect the fact you want to "protect" your investment, but, Duuuuuuude!!!! It's mechanical, anything can happen. I've got 700whp WITH NO METH and my car hasn't broken yet, and I drive the **** out of it.

You seem like a super nice guy, but, to me it takes the fun out of this whole modding a car to over analyze every single thing you do to it... Not trying to be an a$$ just offering an unbiased opinion to your question. Take this reply for what it's worth and enjoy your car instead of trying the build the "perfect" car.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7BB
My thoughts are that you overthink everything... Man, put that S/C on that car and drive it. I respect the fact you want to "protect" your investment, but, Duuuuuuude!!!! It's mechanical, anything can happen. I've got 700whp WITH NO METH and my car hasn't broken yet, and I drive the **** out of it.

You seem like a super nice guy, but, to me it takes the fun out of this whole modding a car to over analyze every single thing you do to it... Not trying to be an a$$ just offering an unbiased opinion to your question. Take this reply for what it's worth and enjoy your car instead of trying the build the "perfect" car.
HA! It's all good. Not sure if I'm protecting my car or that I just over analyze everything. I suppose making a living being a Network Engineer may have something to do with it. Got Engineering on the brain!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:04 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by imxz28
HA! It's all good. Not sure if I'm protecting my car or that I just over analyze everything. I suppose making a living being a Network Engineer may have something to do with it. Got Engineering on the brain!
Pretty sure the meth will NOT flow evenly to all cylinders but it's not a perfect science and it doesn't need to be. As you said short of a nozzle in each runner there's not really a way to ensure even flow. You could always pull off your intake manifold after 5-10K and see if any of the runners is NOT clean from getting meth all over it. That will tell you if its getting a good spritz in each runner LOL.

Clark, I didn't know you were a network engineer. So am I! Hahaha
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

This is how mine is setup. I would assume that the turbulence is necessary to not directly spray the IAT sensor. You want a measurement of the mix, not just the methanol.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Talked to Steven at LMR (he's going to do my tune) and he suggested with 9psi, to just leave the IAT in the MAF. It's a better compromise to get a true pre meth reading than a false wet meth reading. He said he can tune just fine and my safety net is to monitor my meth indicator lights and rebuild the pump every 2 years.

On a similar side note, I was suspecting the IAT wouldn't see the meth on colder days anyway so where's the safety in that. Besides, on hot days, I trust the meth will work and no knock equals lots of timing equals lots of power. As C7BB says, just install it and enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
Talked to Steven at LMR (he's going to do my tune) and he suggested with 9psi, to just leave the IAT in the MAF. It's a better compromise to get a true pre meth reading than a false wet meth reading. He said he can tune just fine and my safety net is to monitor my meth indicator lights and rebuild the pump every 2 years.

On a similar side note, I was suspecting the IAT wouldn't see the meth on colder days anyway so where's the safety in that. Besides, on hot days, I trust the meth will work and no knock equals lots of timing equals lots of power. As C7BB says, just install it and enjoy it.
That's the way, I'm proud of you man!!! 😄 I can tell you from experience, that if Steven is tuning your car it'll be right. Like really right! He's one of the best tuners in the country in my opinion and he can make these cars act any way he wants them or the customer wants them to act. You won't have any worries.

My car in Texas heat without meth is zero worries for me because I trust his tune. I'm certain that your build will be solid and trouble free, so enjoy it and keep it simple. Only regrets you'll have is why you didn't do it sooner.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone measured Alky/Meth distribution to each runner/cylinder?

Quick Reply: Anyone measured Alky/Meth distribution to each runner/cylinder?