C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 PM
cbmax
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger

All,

So I have had my 2015 Z51 Stingray since March. She is a dream. This week I plan to add a ZO6 front grille and a MGW shifter kit.

So here is the question. Magnuson just released their Heartbeat Supercharger for the C7.

I would be interested in everyone's thoughts on this product.

CB
Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know much about it but Matt Farrah did a review on one from Magnunson in a 15 A8. Just type in matt farrah corvette c7 on youtube and it should pop up.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

So new that it's hard to say. It really comes down to having a centi vs roots blower on the car and how much you want to spend.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

It will be the same as every top mount blower before it..

It will run hotter and make less power than the centri setups but give you instant torque off idle. That's great when your car weighs 4K+ lbs, but in these corvettes it is useless power.

My advice, see if you can find someone locally that has a centri powered car and a PD powered car and go for a ride. From C5 to C7, it doesn't matter the year, buy what you like the feeling of.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 PM
cbmax
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been going back and forth between the centrifugal v. roots blower for a long time, but I keep coming back to the same issues.

Why don't OEM manufacturers install centrifugal blowers? The ZO6 has a roots blower, in fact it might be made my Magnuson. In street type driving, isn't it more beneficial to have the power down low where it is more useable. I won't be driving my Vette on the drag strip.

No flames please.

CB
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

We were the first to do this setup and have pushed it as hard as we can up to this point. Until someone comes out w/ an overdriven lower for a non dry sump we can't spin it any higher. Here is the latest dyno video in 105 air. Any questions on this setup we can help as we have lots of experience w/ this and have done a ton of testing here in satan's armpit haha.

www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by cbmax
I have been going back and forth between the centrifugal v. roots blower for a long time, but I keep coming back to the same issues.

Why don't OEM manufacturers install centrifugal blowers? The ZO6 has a roots blower, in fact it might be made my Magnuson. In street type driving, isn't it more beneficial to have the power down low where it is more useable. I won't be driving my Vette on the drag strip.

No flames please.

CB
Manufacturers use roots superchargers or single/twin turbocharger(s) to obtain larger numbers at a lower RPM.

As an example, small turbos may spool by 1800rpm and run strong through 3500, and then drop off a cliff. On the other end, a turbo that doesn't spool until 3500 and then takes off like a rocket (think Supras here) is a completely different experience.

Most consumers are going to prefer the 'feel' (illusion) of more power that they get from small turbo or roots applications on platforms like the Ford EcoBoost.

On top of this, roots packages are usually easier to design from the ground-up when creating a supercharged model, and generally look cleaner as they require far less room for charge tubing, etc. They're also quieter, as previously mentioned, and ASE dealership technicians are familiar with the overall repair procedures.

I'm not aware of any modern production vehicle that has used a centrifugal supercharger from the factory.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

This about sums it up. Also don't forget that eaton is a major OEM supplier so it is very cost effective to use their rotor design..

Originally Posted by Theta
Manufacturers use roots superchargers or single/twin turbocharger(s) to obtain larger numbers at a lower RPM.

As an example, small turbos may spool by 1800rpm and run strong through 3500, and then drop off a cliff. On the other end, a turbo that doesn't spool until 3500 and then takes off like a rocket (think Supras here) is a completely different experience.

Most consumers are going to prefer the 'feel' (illusion) of more power that they get from small turbo or roots applications on platforms like the Ford EcoBoost.

On top of this, roots packages are usually easier to design from the ground-up when creating a supercharged model, and generally look cleaner as they require far less room for charge tubing, etc. They're also quieter, as previously mentioned, and ASE dealership technicians are familiar with the overall repair procedures.

I'm not aware of any modern production vehicle that has used a centrifugal supercharger from the factory.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Patrick Runge
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG ITS OUT NOW? I'm ordering after payday. You notice that the king of superchargers is a roots style blower. That's generally whats on all big racecars. I'm no expert though.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Patrick Runge
You notice that the king of superchargers is a roots style blower. That's generally whats on all big racecars. I'm no expert though.
Yeah, that's not really the case... Not an expert here, either, though ironically did race a roots-based car for a roots-based manufacturer for a short period.

You'll find that all of the 'big racecars' are generally using direct-feed turbochargers or centrifugal superchargers along with nitro methane and parachutes.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:35 AM
PerformanceDefined
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is now incorrect to state that a centrifugal runs cooler than a Magnuson Heartbeat.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:37 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by PerformanceDefined
It is now incorrect to state that a centrifugal runs cooler than a Magnuson Heartbeat.
Using what metrics? Initial temps? Sustained temps? Track temps?

We could always compare IATs after an hour of racing in the 4000-6000 band.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 AM
PerformanceDefined
Intermediate

Using what metrics? Initial temps? Sustained temps? Track temps?
We could always compare IATs after an hour of racing in the 4000-6000 band.
Back to back dyno testing on the same car, followed by back to back drag-strip runs in the same car. Tuned to have the same peak boost levels.
Holden (HSV GTS), 414ci, big-ish cam, ~600rwhp.

Not everyone wants to spend their life only driving in the 4-6k range.
Just saying ... Technology moves on and some of the old truths are no longer compatible with reality.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The 4000-6000 band was an example of the worst possible conditions we could hit both types of blowers with. You know centris hate that range just as much as roots do.

Problem with the statement is that it's too generalized to be reasonably factual:

... has to be followed up with 'in some situations'.

Side note: I love the HSV GTS. After having 3 GTOs (and paying to convert one to a Holden exterior), I can't shake my love affair.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:32 AM
PerformanceDefined
Intermediate

do.
Problem with the statement is that it's too generalized to be reasonably factual:
... has to be followed up with 'in some situations'.
Yep - agreed.
Same with the statement above "It will run hotter and make less power than the centri setups ..."

Stating that "A Roots will run hotter" is like saying "A centri will require more maintenance" ... it depends on the design, application & driving style.
I have owned most forms of FI ... they all have their application.

Side note: Owned Holdens most of my life - last one was a blown Senator. Nice, but not as nice as the CTS-V or the C63 ... but I still would like an HSV in the garage to play with
Old 08-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by PerformanceDefined
I have owned most forms of FI ... they all have their application.
Very true!

Well... except for the 'Twerbo' where the SC spun up until the turbo spooled and then de-clutched. That was an Eaton/VW venture that went horribly wrong.

So, all but that example have their application.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:05 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Performance Defined, Can you post you figures for this? its great to see how far the PD blowers have come along.

On the drive issue, is there no way of running a secondary drive belt to the SC with a higher setup (thinking like the old rear drive TVS2300s on C6s)

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger

Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Lots of crap in this thread..

First off, there is NO PD blower that is efficient or produces lower IAT's than a proper centri setup. By the nature of the beast it just is not possible.

PD blowers are mounted on top of the engine, absorb massive amounts of engine heat, recirculate air, and have tiny and inefficient heat exchangers.

Centri blowers are mounted off the side of the engine with minimal block contact so they absorb less heat, bypass air to atmosphere instead of recirculating and they generally use large front mount intercoolers that actually work and cool the air charge.

I have owned both types of blowers on several different platforms. Street, road race, and drag race. I currently have a Whipple unit (the best screw blower on the market without a doubt) on my 2015 6.2 Sierra making 12psi and the IAT levels are not even close to the IAT's I see coming out of my YSI making north of 20psi pre methanol injection. Post meth its not even in the same ballpark.

If a PD blower was seeing super low IAT's it was due to a faulty sensor or very bad sensor placement, one of the two.

Until someone from a reputable shop (LMR, Vengeance, couple other forum sponsors that acutally build great cars) posts side by side logs that show anything even remotely close to what is being claimed here, I am not buying it based on my personal experience.

Also, the next person that compares a roots/screw blower to the blower on a top fuel dragster needs to just be slapped. You are talking about a car that makes 10,000hp, runs on alcohol, and is running for less than a min in most cases. Not even in the realm of being comparable.

But lets talk about "street" cars....

How many PD blower cars do you see being competitive in the half mile and mile races? None

How many PD blower cars do you see being competitive in the 6-7-8-9 second drag radial races? None

Both dominated by Centri blower, Turbo, and Nitrous...

You know where PD blowers shine? Heavy cars and trucks that need that low end grunt to get going. The whipple on my truck is a blast, but that is where it belongs. Its never going to be "fast", it just needed to not be boring..
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (11-09-2017)
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The company I work for makes the OEM Z06 blower not Magnusson lol
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro