C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Sensor to the intake manifold relocation on a C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:53 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default IAT Sensor to the intake manifold relocation on a C7

Has anyone done a relocation of the IAT Sensor to the intake manifold using Caspers Electronics breakout cable and IAT sensor for the C7, specifically where you located it? I’ve seen a lot of C6 applications, but nothing on a C7. Pictures if you have them please.

Also, does anyone know the thread size of the IAT sensor in question for drilling and tapping purposes?

Old 08-29-2015, 04:00 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cobra502
Has anyone done a relocation of the IAT Sensor to the intake manifold using Caspers Electronics breakout cable and IAT sensor for the C7, specifically where you located it? I’ve seen a lot of C6 applications, but nothing on a C7. Pictures if you have them please.

Also, does anyone know the thread size of the IAT sensor in question for drilling and tapping purposes?

I have the same Caspers IAT sensor and harness. I tapped mine into the charge pipe right before the throttle body. The thread size of the sensor is 3/8" NPT. Hope it helps.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:18 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

You can put it in the intake if you want.....you can even run a 2nd IAT if you wanted, just one wire to the ECU
Old 02-17-2016, 02:12 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a procharger kit with iat relocation..and meth
Not much room up top of pipe to fit iat and meth after maf sensor...any ideas?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

most of us have put them in the intake pipe right at the curve to the TB. you could install it in the im if you want next the the TB horizontally pointing toward the firewall but not sure why you would.

my maf, iat, and meth nozzle are all right there.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 02-17-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
most of us have put them in the intake pipe right at the curve to the TB. you could install it in the im if you want next the the TB horizontally pointing toward the firewall but not sure why you would.

R u using procharger?..if so can u share a pic?
Also i was thinking putting the iat in the rubber coupler to the tb and put the nozzle at least 6 " before the iat...
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Higgs, So you're saying place it downstream from the MAF Sensor at the curve (see photo, here X marks the spot)?

Has this location helped with IAT heat soak problems? If so, to what extent?

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by blown81bu
R u using procharger?..if so can u share a pic?
Also i was thinking putting the iat in the rubber coupler to the tb and put the nozzle at least 6 " before the iat...
mine is an ECS kit. I can share a pic, yes.

Higgs, So you're saying place it downstream from the MAF Sensor at the curve (see photo, here X marks the spot)?

Has this location helped with IAT heat soak problems? If so, to what extent?

Thanks for your input.
My sensor is right between the X and the MAF and the meth nozzle is between the IAT and the TB, so I am not spraying the IAT sensor with meth.
It seems like it doesn't have heat soak issues but I never ran it with the IAT in the MAF with the supercharger, it's always been this way.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

I have had heat soak issues with placing the iat in aluminum...
I would either put it in a rubber/silicone boot or drill and tap the intake behind the tb
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I would either put it in a rubber/silicone boot or drill and tap the intake behind the tb
how do u think this will work?..This is my actual charge pipe..prefer bolting to the silicone boot

Last edited by blown81bu; 02-17-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Where did you end up placing the iat?

Did you try any other heat resistant material like the stuff people are using for the air intake system and water hoses?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

how do u think this will work?..This is my actual charge pipe..prefer bolting to the silicone boot

That will work...
Just make sure the iat area doesn't leak bc that would be unmetered air going into the intake
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Where did you end up placing the iat?

Did you try any other heat resistant material like the stuff people are using for the air intake system and water hoses?
Either the plastic intake...or plastic tubing or silicine/rubber in the induction system..
Pretty good spot behind the Arab on the intake... Won't heat soak and sees constant airflow behind the throttle blade...
Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

That will work...
Just make sure the iat area doesn't leak bc that would be unmetered air going into the intake
thanks my tuner actually suggested this way...
U think i should put the meth nozzle on same side as map or opposite or it doesnt matter?
thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

thanks my tuner actually suggested this way...
U think i should put the meth nozzle on same side as map or opposite or it doesnt matter?
thanks for the help
That was mislabeled wrong... That's the maf not map... Map is on the intake manifold

Doesn't matter... Just needs to be after the maf sensor.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

That was mislabeled wrong... That's the maf not map... Map is on the intake manifold

Doesn't matter... Just needs to be after the maf sensor.
oops..maf not map..lol..thanks again
Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If you are doing the relocation to eliminate false IAT temps due to heat soak---( either on a SC application or a stock N/A system) The end results of these false readings of most concern is the timing removal due to these high temps
This was always an issue with most any LS application even on Silverado trucks---however with these new DI engines it seems the IAT temps spike even higher--
On my older c5 and c6's the IAT would spike to about 120* but on my C7 it goes up even further to about 140*---
The way we fixed this false reading then and still now is the same---By massaging the IAT spark deduction table in the tune so it doesn't remove any timing up to around 130* at WOT and then also remove about 1/2 of the deductions at P/T as well-----By data logging your IAT temps in city traffic you can normally tell when the IAT temps are false--Like on a 70* day and they read 130* !!!
A trial and error method works best---If you remove to much of the deducts you should hear pinging or see KR on the data logger--then add some of it back in---
PS It is not uncommon to see about 7-8* of timing deduction on a stock tune when the IAT's spike to 130* --This jumping around of deductions would make it extremely difficult to tune a SC engine where timing consistency is so important to prevent engine damage----

Get notified of new replies

To IAT Sensor to the intake manifold relocation on a C7

Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 PM
CorvetteKilla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is an ECS kit. I can share a pic, yes.

My sensor is right between the X and the MAF and the meth nozzle is between the IAT and the TB, so I am not spraying the IAT sensor with meth.
It seems like it doesn't have heat soak issues but I never ran it with the IAT in the MAF with the supercharger, it's always been this way.
So if you do not have the sensor after the meth nozzle how is your car going to know when the pump goes out and your car is just gona blow up?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by CorvetteKilla
So if you do not have the sensor after the meth nozzle how is your car going to know when the pump goes out and your car is just gona blow up?
how does an intake air temperature sensor prevent your car from blowing up?

the only thing you get the ability to do by spraying the iat sensor with meth is using the cold columns of the IAT table to add more spark lead. I wasn't using the meth to get more spark lead, like everyone else who runs out of fuel on these cars I was using the meth for fueling.

if the meth pump fails on a meth dependent car then, yes, it could be a big problem, but the IAT sensor has nothing to do with that. It's one of the reasons I am anti-meth, in general.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 05-06-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:28 PM
CorvetteKilla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how does an intake air temperature sensor prevent your car from blowing up?

the only thing you get the ability to do by spraying the iat sensor with meth is using the cold columns of the IAT table to add more spark lead. I wasn't using the meth to get more spark lead, like everyone else who runs out of fuel on these cars I was using the meth for fueling.

if the meth pump fails on a meth dependent car then, yes, it could be a big problem, but the IAT sensor has nothing to do with that. It's one of the reasons I am anti-meth, in general.

my tuner and ECS said if I put a baro sensor on then my car will be saved if meth stops running. sounds legit to me. dont think you know what your talking about.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor to the intake manifold relocation on a C7