C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for 18" Front Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Recommendations for 18" Front Rims

I'm running Hoosier A7's on my C7 Z06. Started with my old Grand Sport Wheels ....... 18" X 9.5" with 315's in Front and 19" X 12" with 345's in the rear. Since Hoosier calls for 11" rims for the 315's, I'm going to switch. Any recommendation for wheels that are sensibly priced?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:13 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I was going to suggest TSW Interlagos, except the max width they come in for an 18" wheel is 10.5 inches. Is it possible to run the wheel on your Hoosiers, or do you need a 18×11 wheel for sure?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I was going to suggest TSW Interlagos, except the max width they come in for an 18" wheel is 10.5 inches. Is it possible to run the wheel on your Hoosiers, or do you need a 18×11 wheel for sure?
Yes, I can run 10.5" wheels with the 315's. It would certainly be a much better wheel than my 9.5". However, Hoosier recommends 11"; so, since I'm making the change, I figured I'd go with exactly what they recommend. Their recommended wheel size range with the 315's is 11" - 12". Had I read Hoosier's tech info on its tires before buying my tires, I might have considered 295's for the front with my 9.5 wheels. Hoosier claims a loss of grip and excessive outside wear. I buy the loss of grip, but didn't notice excessive wear when I ran my first set of 315's, which were on my Grand Sport. I did switch inside to out at tires' half life.

I know there are 18" X 11" out there, but they may not be that common.

Thanks very much, Jeff
Old 08-30-2015, 03:26 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Eikenberry
Yes, I can run 10.5" wheels with the 315's. It would certainly be a much better wheel than my 9.5". However, Hoosier recommends 11"; so, since I'm making the change, I figured I'd go with exactly what they recommend. Their recommended wheel size range with the 315's is 11" - 12". Had I read Hoosier's tech info on its tires before buying my tires, I might have considered 295's for the front with my 9.5 wheels. Hoosier claims a loss of grip and excessive outside wear. I buy the loss of grip, but didn't notice excessive wear when I ran my first set of 315's, which were on my Grand Sport. I did switch inside to out at tires' half life.

I know there are 18" X 11" out there, but they may not be that common.

Thanks very much, Jeff
No problem Jeff! I did some looking and I guess you're right, 18×11 is a very uncommon size for wheels. My next suggestion (not sure how good of an idea this is) is that you can buya set of 18×10.5 wheels and have someone widen them by 1/2 inch.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Originally Posted by four0nefive
No problem Jeff! I did some looking and I guess you're right, 18×11 is a very uncommon size for wheels. My next suggestion (not sure how good of an idea this is) is that you can buya set of 18×10.5 wheels and have someone widen them by 1/2 inch.
I haven't eliminated that possibility, but I'd have to space out about 3/4" if I widen my 9 1/2" rims,which isn't the end of the world. The challenge becomes finding someone who is competent to do the job.

I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

I haven't eliminated that possibility, but I'd have to space out about 3/4" if I widen my 9 1/2" rims,which isn't the end of the world. The challenge becomes finding someone who is competent to do the job.

Jeff
I track/autocross with many guys that use a 9 1/2 wheel for 315 Hoosier, but it seems you want 18x11 so here you go, the yellow rears are CCW and black rears are forgeline, both are 18x11 not your offset but as they say, we can do that!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

[QUOTE=savage;1590386876]I track/autocross with many guys that use a 9 1/2 wheel for 315 Hoosier, but it seems you want 18x11 so here you go, the yellow rears are CCW and black rears are forgeline, both are 18x11 not your offset but as they say, we can do that!
[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-
QUOTE]
I appreciate your input. That gives me two manufacturers I can contact. Am currently working with another manufacturer, but their inner wheel design may preclude them making what I want, due to brake/wheel conflict.

The reason for wanting to go with the 11" width is Hoosier recommends it, as their experience is loss of optimal grip on corners, as well as wear. I can buy the grip and, possibly, the wear with the outside edge going too early.

Thanks very much, Jeff
Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 PM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

[/QUOTE]
PS: I like the "dare to be different" yellow wheels. I've got a DSOM Z06, with the stock silver wheels. I may chrome them for street duty. For racing, I wasn't very original....... black.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Jeff
These guys can widen your wheels http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/ if they are straight. If they aren't straight they will not touch them. I have been in their shop and it is a professionally run shop. They have an excellent reputation.

CCWs are excellent wheels and can be made to order. Check with them for what they recommend as far as size and offset for your car.

Bill
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
These guys can widen your wheels http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/ if they are straight. If they aren't straight they will not touch them. I have been in their shop and it is a professionally run shop. They have an excellent reputation.

CCWs are excellent wheels and can be made to order. Check with them for what they recommend as far as size and offset for your car.

Bill
Bill,

My first choices was to widen my GS wheels, but no one I race with could come up with a shop. I'll contact Weld Craft and see what they can do. Also, I will check with CCW re prices and specs.

I like your tape job on your C6.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for 18" Front Rims

Quick Reply: Recommendations for 18" Front Rims