C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

Default Ported intake manifold

I purchased an intake manifold off at one of the other forum members and ported it yesterday. What I found was on the short side radius and sides of each runner there was a lot of flanging material where the friction weld is done. I did not change the overall shape or any deep cuts. But I removed all the flashing to make the port very very smooth. Some of the flashing was pretty deep into the port, so I had to use the small adapter for my Dremmel to get way back into the port.

Below is the picture of the material removed. I don't have any idea what gains it will make at this time

Old 10-04-2015, 01:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Russ let see some pic,s of the work if you can shot some.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Default Pics

Old 10-04-2015, 07:05 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm already waiting for porting packages to be advertised here. They seem to give a generous boost in horsepower for the LS series and I don't see why LT series motors wouldn't yield similar results.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjamanZ51
I'm already waiting for porting packages to be advertised here. They seem to give a generous boost in horsepower for the LS series and I don't see why LT series motors wouldn't yield similar results.
Numerous shops are already offering intake manifold porting. I've personally installed both Fasterprom's and WeaponX's offerings. I also saw CajunBER offering the service.
The following users liked this post:
Fasterproms (10-05-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 01:16 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Surprised to see this CNC manufactured heads.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Columbia Corvette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks.

I just bought an intake too from someone on here and I'm gonna port mine. I have an flexible extension I'm going to use. I saw that one our vendors also removes the center post. Not sure if I'll try that.
Can you tell me what bits/sanding drums you used?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Columbia Corvette
I just bought an intake too from someone on here and I'm gonna port mine. I have an flexible extension I'm going to use. I saw that one our vendors also removes the center post. Not sure if I'll try that.
Can you tell me what bits/sanding drums you used?
What ever you use if me I would at the final use water sand paper fine and get it as slick & smooth as possible. I will be doing mine over this winter. Robert
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Numerous shops are already offering intake manifold porting. I've personally installed both Fasterprom's and WeaponX's offerings. I also saw CajunBER offering the service.
Still wondering why you sold your Fasterproms ported intake?

It definitely made my Vette run smoother. Combined with the Halltech intake, vehicle feels faster, even without a tune.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Those that are removing their intake manifolds, can you please take some close up pictures of the level of intake valve coking present and the miles on your engine?

Thanks in advance. The more we can document, the better for all that are wanting to see how widespread this is compared to the old port injection engines that did not deal with this.

Here is my C5 valves at 142,000 miles to compare:

I have a thread on this in the C7 section as well for any to post pictures in please.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
Still wondering why you sold your Fasterproms ported intake?

It definitely made my Vette run smoother. Combined with the Halltech intake, vehicle feels faster, even without a tune.
I went a little overboard on some home renovations so I offset it with car mod money I've since gone with the WeaponX to match my ported throttle body from them.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I went a little overboard on some home renovations so I offset it with car mod money I've since gone with the WeaponX to match my ported throttle body from them.
Was the weapon x better then your fasterproms or same
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Those that are removing their intake manifolds, can you please take some close up pictures of the level of intake valve coking present and the miles on your engine?

Thanks in advance. The more we can document, the better for all that are wanting to see how widespread this is compared to the old port injection engines that did not deal with this.

Here is my C5 valves at 142,000 miles to compare:

I have a thread on this in the C7 section as well for any to post pictures in please.
I bought a second set of heads with the plan to have them ported in the future.

These have 7000 miles and the deposits on the valves look identical to mine with 12,000 miles. See pictures posted earlier.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Was the weapon x better then your fasterproms or same
It was double the price; with porting you get what you pay for since its a combination of time & labor. The attention to detail and finish quality was better it seemed.

Last edited by Kracka; 10-24-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:38 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I love that Faster Proms one I got from Kracka for my A8. I also have a Formato (Faster Proms) ported intake on my 08' G8. When I did a DOD delete cam on my 09' G8, bought a ported one from Vector. I immediately noted they had not removed the PCV extension in the front of the intake, so I took it out. The Vette Formato intake also has that diagonal PCV extension removed.

Ported intakes in my opinion really make the LS & LT engines run smoother and feel more responsive, which alone is a reason to purchase. Before I installed the one on my Z51, I felt that in "E" and "T" that the throttle felt sluggish. That feeling went away with the install of the ported intake.

As for any porting difference between vendors, The goal is to remove plastic molding ridges and smooth out the ports and the intake portion. If this is done properly, not sure if more time spent or more material removed is of any benefit.

Jeremy actually installed my G8 intake and ported my TB in person so I could watch. Learned enough that I ported my own TB on my other G8!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I love that Faster Proms one I got from Kracka for my A8. I also have a Formato (Faster Proms) ported intake on my 08' G8. When I did a DOD delete cam on my 09' G8, bought a ported one from Vector. I immediately noted they had not removed the PCV extension in the front of the intake, so I took it out. The Vette Formato intake also has that diagonal PCV extension removed.

Ported intakes in my opinion really make the LS & LT engines run smoother and feel more responsive, which alone is a reason to purchase. Before I installed the one on my Z51, I felt that in "E" and "T" that the throttle felt sluggish. That feeling went away with the install of the ported intake.

As for any porting difference between vendors, The goal is to remove plastic molding ridges and smooth out the ports and the intake portion. If this is done properly, not sure if more time spent or more material removed is of any benefit.

Jeremy actually installed my G8 intake and ported my TB in person so I could watch. Learned enough that I ported my own TB on my other G8!
I'm glad you're happy! I agreed on ported intake manifolds helping these engines feel smoother and more responsive, especially with a ported throttle body to match. Fasterproms and WeaponX have a similar approach to the work they do and material they remove (including the PCV tube). PM me your address if you would like to see pictures of the WeaponX porting work.

Last edited by Kracka; 10-24-2015 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EcoBrick Bob (10-24-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Ported intake manifold

Quick Reply: Ported intake manifold