C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change in my Z51

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil change in my Z51

Hi Folks, after getting hosed by my dealer on my free oil change, I asked him explicitly twice are you using Mobil 1 and assured I was, I find out they used Dexos. Arrggge!

So I have 10 quarts of 5-30 Red Line and a K&N filter standing by, I intend to change the oil myself hook or by crook!

So I have tried to look on You Tube to see if someone has made an infomercial, but no. Can someone tell me where the 2 drain plugs are and any other important knowledge I need?
Tks......
The following users liked this post:
JUSTCRZN (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Except for having two drain plugs there is no magic. They are close together on the "pan". Biggest problem seems to be getting under the car, takes very long ramps because of the low front end. I would put in 9 qts and then sneak up on correct level.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Except for having two drain plugs there is no magic. They are close together on the "pan". Biggest problem seems to be getting under the car, takes very long ramps because of the low front end. I would put in 9 qts and then sneak up on correct level.
But on what it calls for run the car 1/4 qt low. That way when it get hot it will not go over into the pcv system & into the intake.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Firstvettec7
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z51 oil change step by step

Jerry U. Covers most any topic:

http://www.netwelding.com/Changing_Oil.pdf
Old 10-08-2015, 08:11 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

The dry sump oil change procedure -and- pictures of the drain plugs are in the owner's manual...
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

You are confused. Mobile 1 is a brand of oil and Dexos is a spec the oil may meet. Many brands of oil meet the Dexos spec. If you don't believe me, go to an auto parts store and look at the many oil bottles that's say "Dexos" on the front.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Oil Change Instructions

Check out the sticky's at the top of the C7 Tech/Performance section. Look for the one called: Master List of How-To Guides for C7 Corvette Stingray. There is info/instructions for changing oil - among other things - you may find useful.

I was able to change my oil (for the first time) and found it very easy! Saved me LOTS of time versus going to the dealer.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Mobil1 5w30 is a dexos oil.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:34 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and input! I have heard that Mobil 1 oil has gone down in recent years. I don't know why a company would allow a flagship product to decline, especially while they still trump the product in advertising.
I do know Red Line make a good product, so I will go with that.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Redline may be as good as Mobil 1 but cost about twice as much around here. K&N filters have a reputation for leaking.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:07 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by MYblu69
Thanks everybody for your suggestions and input! I have heard that Mobil 1 oil has gone down in recent years. I don't know why a company would allow a flagship product to decline, especially while they still trump the product in advertising.
I do know Red Line make a good product, so I will go with that.
I don't think anybody here would disagree that Red Line is a top quality oil. HOWEVER, there are currently NO Red Line oils that are dexos approved. From a purely technical warranty perspective in North America, the owner's manual clearly requires use of a dexos approved 5w-30 oil for street use, and Red Line isn't approved.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

Let's not de-volve into all the typical soap-boxing about dexos certification being nothing more than a money-grab by GM (I don't disagree...). This does not mean that Red Line wouldn't pass the certification with flying colors and crush Mobil 1 in every metric. It just means they haven't gone through the certification process and paid the royalties. So just make your decision "eyes wide open" that in the unlikely event of a seemingly oil related powertrain issue during the warranty period, GM can (and will) ask for your proof of oil changes. If you haven't used a dexos approved oil, it just gives them an out on a technicality... And GM has deeper pockets than you with Magnuson–Moss in your back pocket.

And no, I'm not a Mobil 1 fan boy. I prefer Penzoil Platinum Ultra for my uses.

Last edited by xp800; 10-09-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Well if Mobil 1 meets Dexos standards, (what ever that might be). Is Mobil 1 any better or what?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:35 PM
xp800
Drifting

Well if Mobil 1 meets Dexos standards, (what ever that might be). Is Mobil 1 any better or what?
Not necessarily. Like I said, it's entirely likely that Red Line 5w-30 is a superior product to Mobil 1 5w-30. But without dexos certification, GM can claim it's not (even if it is).

dexos certification is similar to the other oil certificaitons like API-SN and ILSAC-GF5/6. It's more stringent like the ILSAC GF-5 however.

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/gf-5-and...t-you-pay-for/

I -personally- believe Penzoil Ultra (and Amsoil for that matter) is better than Mobil 1. And I -personally- believe Red Line is better than Mobil 1. But during my warranty period I will -personally- use a dexos approved oil even if Red Line were proven to be made from unicorn blood. Well, non dexos approved unicorn blood.

Last edited by xp800; 10-09-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I wouldn't say "Mobil 1 has gone down[hill] in recent years." While it's true that Mobil 1 today isn't the same as it was when first introduced, that's true of all synthetics sold in the U.S. today.

As for "why," the answer is competition and a legal decision.*

Basically, Mobil 1 was originally a true synthetic. Made 100% from man-made long-chain polymer molecules. No dead dinosaurs in sight. That's the way all "synthetic" oils were made. It's a very expensive process, but it arguably produces the best motor oils.

In 1997 Castrol changed the process by which it made it's "full synthetic" motor oil to include highly refined petroleum base stock. Mobil sued, claiming that calling that full synthetic was misleading. Mobil lost. Castrol won.

So Mobil was faced with a choice: continuing to make a full synthetic motor oil that cost much more than other companies' "full synthetic," and probably lose a lot of sales. Or adopt the same approach that Castrol and other companies were adopting. Guess what they chose?

So has Mobil 1 "gone down" in quality compared to the original Mobil 1? Maybe. OTOH, oil technology continues to improve. Additive packages are better, refining techniques are better. I think one could argue that today's Mobil 1 is better than the Mobil 1 oild sold 18 years ago. Perhaps not as good as a "true", completely synthesized oil could be today, but better than any oil from 18 years ago.

And no company, not Redline, not Amsoil, not Penzoil, sells a fully synthesized PAO base stock motor oil in the U.S. today.

Is Redline "better" than Mobil1? Maybe. But it's made using petroleum base stocks, just like Mobil 1.

Will using any Dexos certified oil in your engine, and changing when the OLM says to, cause oil related engine wear issues? Not a chance. Unless you're going to the track, people worry way too much about what oil is going in their car. Take care of your car, change the oil when you should, and the rest of the car is likely to wear out long before the engine does.

Oh, Pennzoil Platinum is supposed to be refined from natural gas, rather than petroleum oil. That's a cleaner, more "pure" base stock, so in theory it might produce a "better" oil. Will it make your engine last longer on the street? Maybe. But will you really put 250,000 to 300,000 miles on your LT1?

Amsoil? Amsoil doesn't own any refining capacity, so they're buying oil from someone else, and presumably mixing in their own additive package. Do I believe Amsoil has better engineers than Mobil, Pennzoil, etc? No, I don't.

* More detail on this: http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...mantics-column

Last edited by meyerweb; 10-09-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Good point that most Corvettes will never see anywhere close to 300,000 miles...
It may be worth noting the Valvoline Syn-power actually has a 300,000 mile warranty against any oil related engine failure, and actually did better on the standard cam wear test...(Mobil 1 technically did not even pass the test-first bar

Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Thanks much for the explanation. I am surprised the court ruled against Mobil 1??
Of course we want the best for our Corvettes. Not so easy to cut to the chase.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change in my Z51

Quick Reply: Oil change in my Z51