C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:58 AM
smilence
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried tunes?

Just tried the basic version of trifecta tune on my C7 A8 Z51, my main purpose was to adjust how AFM operates, but the difference in power-train is huge.

Took me about 30mins to do the whole thing, very easy to use.

It shifts more aggressively and the throttle...much more aggressive. Even a light gas pedal would push you hard out of line.I'm not sure if I would like it for daily driving though.But I think I will like it on track.

Is trifecta the only tune in the market that does not leave any trace for dealer to detect?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Holy C7
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smilence
Just tried the basic version of trifecta tune on my C7 A8 Z51, my main purpose was to adjust how AFM operates, but the difference in power-train is huge.

Took me about 30mins to do the whole thing, very easy to use.

It shifts more aggressively and the throttle...much more aggressive. Even a light gas pedal would push you hard out of line.I'm not sure if I would like it for daily driving though.But I think I will like it on track.

Is trifecta the only tune in the market that does not leave any trace for dealer to detect?
Thanks for the feedback on the Trifecta tune. As soon as I get some more mileage on my A8 C7, Im getting their tune. There is another fella on here who I talked to quite a bit who also has one of their tunes and also loves it. My biggest disappointment with the C7 is the throttle response, which is quite lazy until you get to about 1/2 throttle or so. I also noticed very little difference between the tour, sport and track modes besides the tighter steering. How do you like the different modes with the tune? I hear Trifecta ties different power profiles and A8 shift characteristics to each mode; that, and the increase in throttle response must be awesome.

As far as answering your question as to anyone else having a tune that is undetectable, I believe it is Diablo, but they do not have A8 support like Trifecta.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:08 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

to answer your question.

I think you are the first to run a tune.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:29 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I went to their web site and all I see is a bunch of computerese mumbo-jumbo.
What do they do?
How do they do it?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
to answer your question.

I think you are the first to run a tune.
yeah what's a tune? like a tune up?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
yeah what's a tune? like a tune up?
Thats what i was thinking. Didn't think the stingray needed a tune up.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Holy C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by davekp78
I went to their web site and all I see is a bunch of computerese mumbo-jumbo.
What do they do?
How do they do it?
You need a laptop running a Windows operating system. You go to their site and install their custom tuning software. They mail you a red cable that connects to your USB port and the car and you install the custom tune file they email you. Quite simple. Below is the original thread from Trifecta when they finished up their calibrations for the C7's:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...automatic.html
Old 10-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy C7
You need a laptop running a Windows operating system. You go to their site and install their custom tuning software. They mail you a red cable that connects to your USB port and the car and you install the custom tune file they email you. Quite simple. Below is the original thread from Trifecta when they finished up their calibrations for the C7's:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...automatic.html
we are just joking. :yes nod:

hundreds, or maybe thousands of members here run tunes, personally, like several others, run major modifications as well. I tune vehicles myself using HPTuners, some prefer EFILive.

trifecta is a decent brand, very proprietary though.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Holy C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
we are just joking. :yes nod:

hundreds, or maybe thousands of members here run tunes, personally, like several others, run major modifications as well. I tune vehicles myself using HPTuners, some prefer EFILive.

trifecta is a decent brand, very proprietary though.
I know most of the replies here were meant for fun, although the OP could have come up with a better title for this thread lol

Thousands of opinions out there when it comes to tuning, but you are lucky since you do your own tuning. Those with major modifications are obviously not concerned about warranty issues, so taking it to someone who is experienced tuning these DI motors using the HP and/or the EFI Live software would most likely be the way to go, IMO

I will be using Trifecta simply because as of right now, Im not planning any major modifications and would just like the car to be more responsive while remaining safe and warranty friendly. I also like the fact that they have A8 support and are able to tie different power profiles to the different driving modes, etc.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Problem with A tune it voids the warranty.Many of them say that the dealership can't find that their was A tune done on the car.So to gamble or not.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM
smilence
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy C7
Thanks for the feedback on the Trifecta tune. As soon as I get some more mileage on my A8 C7, Im getting their tune. There is another fella on here who I talked to quite a bit who also has one of their tunes and also loves it. My biggest disappointment with the C7 is the throttle response, which is quite lazy until you get to about 1/2 throttle or so. I also noticed very little difference between the tour, sport and track modes besides the tighter steering. How do you like the different modes with the tune? I hear Trifecta ties different power profiles and A8 shift characteristics to each mode; that, and the increase in throttle response must be awesome.

As far as answering your question as to anyone else having a tune that is undetectable, I believe it is Diablo, but they do not have A8 support like Trifecta.
There is a larger difference between different modes now.

ECO shifts lazy and response is kinda slow, which feels a bit weird, but the good thing is, it keeps at v4 most of time, which is actually a good thing as whenever i select it, half the horsepower would be more than enough.

Tour vs Sports is aggressive vs more aggressive. I'm not quite used to the new touring mode yet with the combination of its light steering feel and quick response on throttle.Of course, you can keep the steering setting as sports/track all time, even in touring mode.

I didn't pay particular attention but I don't remember I've seen v4 when I have Tour or Sports mode on.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:19 PM
robbieroflcopter
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smilence
There is a larger difference between different modes now.

ECO shifts lazy and response is kinda slow, which feels a bit weird, but the good thing is, it keeps at v4 most of time, which is actually a good thing as whenever i select it, half the horsepower would be more than enough.

Tour vs Sports is aggressive vs more aggressive. I'm not quite used to the new touring mode yet with the combination of its light steering feel and quick response on throttle.Of course, you can keep the steering setting as sports/track all time, even in touring mode.

I didn't pay particular attention but I don't remember I've seen v4 when I have Tour or Sports mode on.
I had the trifecta tune on my C7 A8. If I was racing all the time it would have been nice but for a daily driver it was just too much. It held gears in all modes until 1800ish rpms and I didn't notice any difference between modes regarding throttle response- it was all or nothing. Hard to keep a steady speed. Definitely a monster with the tune though.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I also run the Trifecta calibration in my A8 C7. Like it a lot. I'm retired, so I drive the car only for fun. I got a beater for running errands.

The Tour mode cruises the freeway at 70 mph at 1800 rpm in 7th gear. Sport mode 2200 rpm at 70 mph in 6th gear. Shifts more responsive.

Sport modes holds the motor in a numerically higher gear than tour mode at the same rpm, keeping the motor closer to its power band.

Both have very responsive throttle. Trifecta claims an additional 30 ft-lbs, and I have no trouble believing it. The cars a beast, since installing the Trifecta.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tried tunes?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried tunes?