C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputter/power loss at 4.5-6000 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Carey Thibodeau
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter/power loss at 4.5-6000 rpms

Hey guys, I bought a 2014 Z51 with a Z06 package added, super charged, cammed etc. So she has 14,000 km on her and rides like a dream. This is until I go to race. When in neutral I can red line it revving easy with no problem, when racing, 2nd, 3rd and fourth up in the higher 4.5-6000 rpm range she sputters and spits, or cuts out. I took it back to the performance shop that had installed the a&a supercharger kit and they recommended I change out the fuel pressure sensor.... So after having dropped an additional 100$ on the sensor, the problem still exists..... anyone have any issues similar? I will try n post a video in the near future.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:08 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the plug wires. I fried 2 wires and had similar problems. They are hard to get connected. I had to take the pass side valve cover off to get mine to snap in (w/ headers).
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

You might look at Traction Control and Active Handling.
They WILL interfere if they detect certain conditions.... and they will cut back on
throttle of and on (quickly), which might seem like stumbling.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
DoubleDown
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Who did the install/tune, and how long ago? I would try to take the car to a reputable shop and have them look into the ECM tune as a possible source of your problem.

Hopefully you arent getting any ping/detonation and causing some major problems.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Carey Thibodeau
Hey guys, I bought a 2014 Z51 with a Z06 package added, super charged, cammed etc. So she has 14,000 km on her and rides like a dream. This is until I go to race. When in neutral I can red line it revving easy with no problem, when racing, 2nd, 3rd and fourth up in the higher 4.5-6000 rpm range she sputters and spits, or cuts out. I took it back to the performance shop that had installed the a&a supercharger kit and they recommended I change out the fuel pressure sensor.... So after having dropped an additional 100$ on the sensor, the problem still exists..... anyone have any issues similar? I will try n post a video in the near future.
If the fuel pressure sensor was not lying then maybe Hi Pressure pump is at fault. Some issues with after market lash caps causing mounting bolts to break when stroke in pump is overly extended. And just plain old pump failure has occurred trying to get additional output for SC applications. Your cam may have different tri-lobe profile for Hi-pressure pump that is not compatible. Just a thought for you to ponder!

Wrong type plugs are also vulnerable to SC and even the right plug will not stand up to detonation or bad gas

Last edited by Jim Barker; 10-13-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I would check plugs/wires, if that doesn't solve it then check the tube.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:05 PM
rsnate
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Carey Thibodeau

Did you ever find the problem?? I am having the same problem starting today...

Anyone know??
Old 10-30-2021, 06:17 PM
Carey Thibodeau
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsnate
@Carey Thibodeau

Did you ever find the problem?? I am having the same problem starting today...

Anyone know??
Found out my engine was on the verge of blowing up. Engine was on the verge of catastrophic failure. Unfortunately I spent a ton of money on new plugs, tuning, fuel pressure sensors etc.... The fellow who bought it off me had the engine crater.

Advantage Ford in Calgary sold me the vehicle knowing there was issues.... Also Davenport in Calgary tried to tune the faulty engine out instead of doing a full overview the machine. Costed me over all 110,000$.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:01 PM
rsnate
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carey Thibodeau
Found out my engine was on the verge of blowing up. Engine was on the verge of catastrophic failure. Unfortunately I spent a ton of money on new plugs, tuning, fuel pressure sensors etc.... The fellow who bought it off me had the engine crater.

Advantage Ford in Calgary sold me the vehicle knowing there was issues.... Also Davenport in Calgary tried to tune the faulty engine out instead of doing a full overview the machine. Costed me over all 110,000$.

did they give you specifics? Sorry I’m not understanding?
why was it almost to a catastrophic point?
what was the technical reason it was having issues??

Get notified of new replies

To Sputter/power loss at 4.5-6000 rpms

Quick Reply: Sputter/power loss at 4.5-6000 rpms