C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment center flickering

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Infotainment center flickering

My infotainment center started flickering a couple of weeks back then it would stay on like everything was okay. Now just about every other time I get in my car it either goes completely blank with no backup camera or it flickers like it's getting some kind of interference for the screen rolls like a bad 70's TV antenna.
I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem and had it fixed? If so how did they fix it was it simply re-program or did they have to replace the entire unit? Thanks guys
John
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

The dealership will try a refresh-it won't work. You'll need a new screen. The wire connecting the screen gets kinked up, requiring a new screen (which contains a new wire).
Old 10-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
The dealership will try a refresh-it won't work. You'll need a new screen. The wire connecting the screen gets kinked up, requiring a new screen (which contains a new wire).
Thx for reply. But is the new screen and wire going to be of a different design? Because if its the same what will keep it from getting re-kinked?
Thx
Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodago
Thx for reply. But is the new screen and wire going to be of a different design? Because if its the same what will keep it from getting re-kinked?
Thx
Funny (or not really), I was just about to post about this as mine just started doing it today. If I lowered the screen, tapped the top and raised it, sometimes the screen came back for a while, other times not.

2014, only 4k miles, so far this problem and a top so creaky/loud it is hard to have a conversation with a passenger.

I was really hoping not to have to take the car to the dealer for any reason. Doing my own maintenance so far.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Yes it does suck to take it to the dealer for any matter especially at the price and being brand new and all. You're going to laugh at this but I have the 2014 and my mileage is 27865. Lol I Drive it all the time. Hope you get your problem fixed and I'm going to try to get mine to the dealer tomorrow. I have a half of mind to take the dash out which I've already done and replaced with the yellow one anyway from the detailed report of some guy on here that had a fantastic link that shows every nut and bolt of where to get it taken off and taken apart and then take the infotainment center out and see if I can see any wires getting kicked or if I can tie I wrap them to something else. That's one reason why I do love this forum is there's some guys out there with wicked knowledge and patience and the ability to do what they do and let idiots like me who only ask questions they helped me out so much I don't have a way to pay them back
Old 10-17-2015, 08:34 AM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes it does suck to take it to the dealer for any matter especially at the price and being brand new and all. You're going to laugh at this but I have the 2014 and my mileage is 27865. Lol I Drive it all the time. Hope you get your problem fixed and I'm going to try to get mine to the dealer tomorrow. I have a half of mind to take the dash out which I've already done and replaced with the yellow one anyway from the detailed report of some guy on here that had a fantastic link that shows every nut and bolt of where to get it taken off and taken apart and then take the infotainment center out and see if I can see any wires getting kicked or if I can tie I wrap them to something else. That's one reason why I do love this forum is there's some guys out there with wicked knowledge and patience and the ability to do what they do and let idiots like me who only ask questions they helped me out so much I don't have a way to pay them back
Thanks, let me know how it goes. On the way home from work yesterday it glitched a bit but opening and closed fixed it for the rest of the ride home. Interestingly, the touch screen still works, just the display flickers or goes black. I don't really need it so I will wait through the winter at a minimum.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM
bluevette67
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Just got home from a 3 week vacation, started the car up and screen completely blank. I will try the tap it on the top method. Hate to have to go back to dealer again.

Originally Posted by halt00
Funny (or not really), I was just about to post about this as mine just started doing it today. If I lowered the screen, tapped the top and raised it, sometimes the screen came back for a while, other times not.

2014, only 4k miles, so far this problem and a top so creaky/loud it is hard to have a conversation with a passenger.

I was really hoping not to have to take the car to the dealer for any reason. Doing my own maintenance so far.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:03 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

steve bell nailed it. after staying at dealership all day, after I told them that reprograming would not fix problem, they said that they would have to order new screen!!! Duh, whenever I mention that I got info from forum, they're like, oh no don't believe the internet. and my reply was this is a forum full of motorheads. AND even if someone posted something wrong someone on here would correct them!
sorry for the long post, just irritated...
hope this helps.
John
Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Okay guys heres the latest just want to give you an update on what's going on. They did the flash or program did not work course brought it back and they changed the screen and the cable or whatever which was what one the of the guys on this thread said that that's what was going to fix problem. I picked it up today. so far it has worked perfectly so I will keep you guys posted Thanks
Old 11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

There are many threads on this as well as a TSB. I had mind replaced about 15 months after delivery. New screen works great.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bluevette67
Just got home from a 3 week vacation, started the car up and screen completely blank. .
Same thing here. A one week road trip to the Tonawanda engine plant and everything was flawless. The first day home...poof! My dealer gave me a loaner and GM overnighted a new screen in. All's well.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

three days going and nary a flicker one!!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a few minor glitches here and there on my 14' but for the most part its been ok. Sunday I went out for a drive and it did exactly what was happening to you guys, rolling real bad or screen was all black.

I had some similar issues on my screen in my Panamera a little while back and they said it was from a Sirius radio update that caused the glitch. All they did was a firmware update to fix it.

Its hard to imagine a wire/connector suddenly go bad....
Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

from what I gathered from a guy on this forum was the original design is flawed in that the wire was getting kinked each time screen moved. this would explain the fact that the screen didn't just stop working. I would imagine its like bending a wire back and forth, eventually strands are going to break. anyway that my $.02. The program update didn't work for me as the man said earlier in this thread, the dealer ended up changing out screen that comes with another wire and thus far it has worked like a charm!!!
I questioned them about just changing the screen out from the start, but they claimed that Chevy's policy stated they try reprogram first.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Makes sense.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 AM
11gsvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My infotainment center started flickering a couple of weeks back then it would stay on like everything was okay. Now just about every other time I get in my car it either goes completely blank with no backup camera or it flickers like it's getting some kind of interference for the screen rolls like a bad 70's TV antenna.
I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem and had it fixed? If so how did they fix it was it simply re-program or did they have to replace the entire unit? Thanks guys
John

Mine did the same thing and Chevy had to replace the screen and it fixed the problem
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Well it looks like that fixed the problem. such a nice feeling when upon starting vehicle the screen works!!!
replacing the screen/wire by dealer fixed problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Infotainment center flickering

Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

John
Mine has been plagued since new about 6-8 times in and still not fixed.
This is the last shot this week. I'm going to give it back if this attempt fails.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Mine has been plagued since new about 6-8 times in and still not fixed.
This is the last shot this week. I'm going to give it back if this attempt fails.
are you serious!!! sorry to hear that, did they replace screen?? if so , then hello lemon law....
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Tsb

Can someone point me to the TSB for the flickering NAV screen issue? I searched the forum but could not find it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Infotainment center flickering