C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Stingray won't start-rain water damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Stingray won't start-rain water damage

Hi! I have a C7 The water got about bottom seat cushion level. I replaced the bcm and receiver. I can get the radio on and dash info center but no gauges work, car wont start, no horn, or lights! Any suggestions ?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dallasvet
Hi! I have a C7 The water got about bottom seat cushion level. I replaced the bcm and receiver. I can get the radio on and dash info center but no gauges work, car wont start, no horn, or lights! Any suggestions ?
Best suggestion is to call your insurance company, make a claim. Let the pro's handle this one.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Best suggestion is to call your insurance company, make a claim. Let the pro's handle this one.
Totally agree. Electrical issues are no joke. If the damage is extensive enough the vehicle may be totaled. Get the experts in as @Fyreant suggested and reassess from there. Good luck op!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I would hate to have what you are going thur at the moment. I will guess you going to have to chg out every part inside the car. More than not even the parts that didn't get rain due to the moisture.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Dean01
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go into the fuse box 1st. Check for blown fuses. Any electronics from water line down may or may not be problematic. Do the obvious any fuses that keep blowing trace to source . Once power is restored bring up codes. You are lucky it's not salt water. This may not be as big a problem as it may seem. Please update as you go.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dean01
Go into the fuse box 1st. Check for blown fuses. Any electronics from water line down may or may not be problematic. Do the obvious any fuses that keep blowing trace to source . Once power is restored bring up codes. You are lucky it's not salt water. This may not be as big a problem as it may seem. Please update as you go.
If he is going to do it himself this will be the only way to do it correct..
Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies everybody! No fuses are blown. um a little history on the vet ...this damage happened a few months ago, I bought the car and I'm trying to fix it. I replaced the bcm and radio receiver, and both seat modules that were dead from water damage.I towed the car to the dealer they said they couldn't program the bcm because they weren't getting power to the bcm (after keeping the car for over a month). I picked it up took it to another shop they said they didnt want to work on it much but i could so & cleaned multiple times the contacts that had calcium residue. The seats started working! & If I push the door button or the set button on the door panel 3 times with in a certain amount of sec. the radio display screen lights up, I push the radio power button and the corvette flags appear on the display and a few seconds later the radio turns on and then if I push the ok button on the steering wheel the digital part of the instrument cluster turns on. The shop said they were now able to program the bcm but I see absolutely no difference other than now when I push the start button there is a chime and a 0--0 symbol comes up on the upper left hand corner of the radio display.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

I dont really no what to try next because I cant find anymore damaged modules or harness connectors to clean.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

I dont really no what to try next because I cant find anymore damaged modules or harness connectors to clean.
Are you sure that was all the water that got into the car. You may have to pull the full dash out of the car with every harness out of the car & check it for the moisture that I TOLD YOU ABOUT. If that is the case you may have to finds a wrecked car and get all the parts off of it to put into yours.

Really man pull one of the seat wiring plugs out & check for water are moisture in the wiring. I still say this is your problem, Like the one guy said at least it was not salt water. Robert
Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Did you buy the car as a salvage car? Or was the damage done while it was in your possession. If the latter, can I ask why you didnt go through insurance?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

I got it from a salvage auction and tracked down the owner to see if he had the key. He showed me pics of the car in his garage, I could see how high the water got because there was an outline around the bottom of the garage where water had damaged the sheet rock. He sold me the key & fob,(that was cut to the car but never programmed,) and new seat modules, new bcm and the engine bay fuse box.

Robert - yeah I took the seats out and cleaned the wire connectors and I also cleaned the big wire conector thats on the passenger side floorboard near the bcm and receiver. Thats when the seats started working and the radio came on.

I dont think the water got as high as the bottom of the dash or door wire harness bc the wire connectors at that level look brand new and clean when I take them apart.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Ok that makes more sense now. The radio likely isn't working because of the infotainment computer being wet/fried. Its actually behind the lower driver kick panel mounted to the side (by the footrest). Have you replaced that yet?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

I looked at that one, its above the water line and appears to be all good. The car doesn't recognize the key so I just have to do the push the button on the door 3 times then the radio screen lights up I push the radio Power button then the corvette sign appears and radio turns on and works fine from there on, although there is no GPS signal for nav.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I looked at that one, its above the water line and appears to be all good. The car doesn't recognize the key so I just have to do the push the button on the door 3 times then the radio screen lights up I push the radio Power button then the corvette sign appears and radio turns on and works fine from there on, although there is no GPS signal for nav.
Are you sure it was equipped with nav? Also, have you ordered a Helms service manual? Will help you tremendously with this rebuild project.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

Yes it has nav it works it just doesn't have a gps signal to know where the vehicle is.
I looked up helms it cost 375 for the info ... I might have to get it.
I just feel that at this point I'm almost there.

I think the bcm might not have programmed completely or something because nothing new is working .. no interior/exterior lights or horn ..doesnt that work off of or thru the bcm?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

What module controls or gives power to the interior/exterior lights and the horn?
Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

What module controls or gives power to the interior/exterior lights and the horn?
Maybe you should just get rid of it....I may know a buyer

Anything electric is going to be a nightmare if you don't have the background or knowledge on these new cars. My guess is you will be chasing electrical issue for as long as you own the car.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Stingray won't start-rain water damage

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Dean01
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the carpeting removed ? Is there moisture in the instrument cluster. Or is the car totally dried out. If not use hair dryer couple hrs at a time aimed at worst area and use fans to circulate air with doors open in a warm building. Go back under seats recheck all elect. Connectors with good light and magnifying glass for calcium deposits.not in town to check is fuse panel in kick panel or at water level unbolt and look at back side fuse panel for calcium deposits. All grounds at water level should be considered suspect. Any electronics in kick panel area such as infotainment computer most likely fried. You will need to pull console . The water level height you described (seat height) in most cases goes over the hump even though it may not appear so. You will need to pull console and chk any electronics that may be there and on hump under dash. Replace all electronics under seats aside from checking plugs. Some of the electronics you may be able to open and inspect.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Dallasvet
Intermediate

Car is totally dry, carpet has been removed and there is no moisture anywhere. Fuse panel and infotainment modules are fine. I pulled the console and there are no signs of calcium deposits or previous water. hmmmm....could there be anything behind the bumper or a lower quarter panel ?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:10 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you totally sure your Radio/Nav module didn't get wet? It can be purchased for $800.+ and is year dependent... It is not much higher than the seat controls. Does car start? ECM isn't real high either. Lots of parts under car like starter and electric steering may have gotten wet. Also you should be able to do a key/key fob re-learn.

Hope you didn't pay a lot for this vehicle....

Quick Reply: C7 Stingray won't start-rain water damage