C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Supercharger-need option advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:10 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Popham
Doug,

I think we are going to give Mike with Calvo Motorsports the install and tune, He just went to work for the company. They are only an 1.5 hour drive for me. He is calling you guys right now to see what the lead time is going to be. It would be nice to have it back and driving before thanksgiving for sure
Excellent choice! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by berryvette
I know Lethal Racing just did an ECS supercharger, headers, alky and tune at 11 pounds of boost and made 700 rwh and 639 torque. Mine is headed there Thanksgiving week for the same setup.
Lethal has installed a ton of our kits, you're in good hands there also.

Thanks for your business!!

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
At the risk of sounding rude I guess one must defends ones self
The idea of bolting a finely machined piece to a cast piece just doesn't sound like the best way to go. A CNC machined inner and outer hub will run true. That's why I did it. It was not the SFI approval necessarily. I also like the idea of interchangeable lower rings like the CTSV. Do you absolutely need to have it? No. Is it better? Absolutely. It is included at no extra charge in all our kits.
Our blower moves when you pull on it? I can barely get it to move with a large pry bar on it. It's as solid a piece as we could make.
Rather than a 1" dowel we made a solid billet piece that attaches the blower bracket to the cylinder head. It attaches with 3/8" Grade 8 and M10 (Grade 10.9) bolts. The part attaching it to the water pump is a solid piece of 1.600" thick aluminum attached directly to the water pump with M10 (Grade 10.9) bolts It doesn't come much stronger than that.
I will, however, concede one thing. When I originally designed this system in 2013 I was adamant about running a long straight 4" MAF tube. I wanted to keep the diameter as close to stock as possible so the MAF would not need to be scaled back something like 30%. Our kit starts up and the fuel trims are almost dead on right out of the box. The transition from 3" to 4" did cause some turbulence. I'm still not sure why. But it is what it is.
Anyway Doug once told me something to the effect of "your MAF Tube sucks so you should redesign it" I'm paraphrasing here. Well I always listen to Doug, so I did. I will admit that 3 1/2" reduces the turbulence. We went back and forth and found that it was smoother yet with the air straightener in it so that was also added.
I hope you and Doug take this last part in the light hearted manner intended. No "jabs" intended. This may be the first and last time you hear this from me: "Doug was right"
The downside is that the MAF needs to be scaled back but that's really no big deal.
The bracket/ supercharger is delivered just as seen in the picture. It comes completely assembled. Even the bolts attaching the assembly to the engine are zip tied in the correct holes. Once the necessary parts are moved out of the way it is literally a 3 minute job to bolt the whole assembly to the engine.
As for the '14 - '15 changes go, we chose to make an entirely new bracket for the '15 rather than have to modify the water pump to allow the '14 bracket to fit. We actually made a bracket that fit both to save money but it was kind of ugly looking. I'm not saying that the other way is bad, I'm just saying we chose to do it this way. This will make a difference to the home installer. Also our '14 and '15 systems are the same price. Retail is $4995 including the $600 balancer. I guess the other upside to our kit is that we always (well 99% of the time) have everything in stock. We can ship a kit in two days, depending on work load.
I might have to store this one in the "did I read that correctly, Andy is saying I'm right!?!?" file.

Couple of things though, the WP issue is nothing, both kits install very quickly and we send them fully assembled too. I already said we do this so we can fit our far more superior tensioner. Also the balancer mounting point is a precision machined part, not a rough cast part you make it out to sound like. At least where it mates with the hub.

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
I'm sure you are referring to my post about systems that are CARB legal. It's difficult to talk about the advantages of ones product with out making comparisons of some sort. ECS does route their crankcase to an area that would never pass a true emissions test like CARB.
It's more than a tailpipe test. They test evaporative emissions, crankcase emissions and exhaust emissions from cold start through a complete drive cycle.
Even the material we use for our vent hose needs to be of a certified material. We are held to a higher standard in California and other states adopting their policies. More and more states are following suit.
I really did think about how to word it but I don't know that mentioning ECS by name or just using the word "others" would have been any better. It certainly was not meant to be taken as anything other than a comparison of products as it related to emissions.
I'm not very active on Corvette Forum at all. I probably should pay more attention to what goes on here. I guess I really need to lay off the work and play around on the Forum all day like you guys.
You do have it rough with the CARB issues in CA, I give you that for sure. Oddly though, we sell a lot of kits to guys in CA so it must not be that hard to get around? I really have zero experience with that.

At the end of the day, like someone else already said, there is plenty of room for both companies to prosper and I wish you the best of luck in business.

Loaded up and ready to go to calvo motorsports

Loaded up

Old 11-20-2015, 06:14 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

BTW Steven, your kit is scheduled to arrive Tuesday per UPS if you were not aware.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Well doug, that's not going to work, your sales guy promised us if we went with you it would be there Monday. I've stayed out of modifying a car because of business practices like this. It's not fair for Calvo to have to work all night for your guys lack of dedication. We have thanksgiving and then I'm flying out for work. Time is something I do not have extra of. I either pick up my car Wednesday or it sits at calvo for 4-6 weeks
Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDown
I had the tune updated when I added the ALKY kit and Ti head unit. The surging issue feels exactly the same across both tunes from two different tuners, so I do think it is a turbulence issue. I am looking forward to hear results from others who have the new smaller tube. Josh said you were installing/tuning one on a customer's car today.

I believe that is my car. I will report back to you my findings with the updated hardware/tune.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 PM
NateDieselF4i
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Well doug, that's not going to work, your sales guy promised us if we went with you it would be there Monday. I've stayed out of modifying a car because of business practices like this. It's not fair for Calvo to have to work all night for your guys lack of dedication. We have thanksgiving and then I'm flying out for work. Time is something I do not have extra of. I either pick up my car Wednesday or it sits at calvo for 4-6 weeks
Old 11-21-2015, 08:59 AM
MeHeartCorvettes
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Not sure I would be planning a build on such a tight timeline so that one day makes or breaks everything. Regardless, before you crucify ECS, I'd have all the facts before taking the soap box. It could be a mixup with the carrier or something to that effect that is outside of their control.

Last edited by MeHeartCorvettes; 11-21-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 AM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes
Not sure I would be planning a build on such a tight timeline so that one day makes or breaks everything. Regardless, before you crucify ECS, I'd have all the facts before taking the soap box. It could be a mixup with the carrier or something to that effect that is outside of their control.

there is no mix up.B4 we even pulled the trigger on the build i called and talked to Alex at ECS the guy that runs all the kits packing and shipping and he told me that he will Guarantee the kit will be at our shop on the 23rd which is monday, i asked him over and over again and he was like dude i promise. I said ok. Then called chris to let him know and told him man get it to me by the 23rd alex said for sure it will happen.

The day the kit was going out i called and told chris dont just print a tag verify and let ups know when we need the kit by so they can for sure ship it the way it needs to be for me to have the kit by that day. So their would be no guessing or anything. He gave me the tracking the next day and when i pulled it up it said Tuesday delivery and a almost flipped out lol.

Only reason we pulled the trigger on this build to have it to the customer by thanksgiving is because ECS said the kit Guaranteed the kit to me at a certain day. So we can have the build completed. I hate rushing my guys on any builds!! Now if we tracked it and it showed delivery for monday then got held up somewhere it wouldnt be a big deal because nobody is at fault because nobody would have had control of that situation.

If the kit somehow appears here Monday by some weird thing of faith it will be awesome and i will gladly thank the ECS guys and show them some mike love lol!!

Last edited by mike@calvomotorsport; 11-21-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

It's going to be mikes decision but if it's my vote I would reject the shipment from ecs and order it red label over night from Andy. It will be there 8am Tuesday and he can have it on the dyno by lunch time
Old 11-21-2015, 12:53 PM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's going to be mikes decision but if it's my vote I would reject the shipment from ecs and order it red label over night from Andy. It will be there 8am Tuesday and he can have it on the dyno by lunch time
sh*t lol... i wish it was that easy hahaahahaha

Last edited by mike@calvomotorsport; 11-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

don't go into the kit disliking it or you will hate it all the time, just do your best, It is a awesome kit, they both are. Shipping sucks, I get next day here and it doesn't show till 7 pm , so even next day can be too late.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:12 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

After reading this whole thread.... I need an update!!!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

It's moving along check here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rts-build.html
Old 11-28-2015, 08:03 PM
SocalCyberZ51
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was on the fence about getting one, but A&A Corvette Christmas sale was the offer I couldn't refuse!
Dropped off car two Sunday's ago, picked up last Sunday.
Won't know how much faster until my next track day in December, but my *** Dyno and their Dyno says I made the right choice.

Andy was a pleasure to work with and his kit is awesome. Will definitely be calling if I feel the need for a meth kit later.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

I'm happy as can be, I've only put 200 miles on the car since d day but man has it been fun. I plan on hunting down mustangs and other vettes every time I go out

Quick Reply: Doing Supercharger-need option advise