C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something's not right. Possible meth problems....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:37 PM
c6switchblade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what rpm is the methanol coming on at? I am running the same nozzles and mine is fine. Do you have a wideband sensor?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c6switchblade
what rpm is the methanol coming on at? I am running the same nozzles and mine is fine. Do you have a wideband sensor?
Wideband will be here tomorrow. Got the Innovative Motorsports PSB-1. Haven't checked to see what rpm the meth comes on but my unit was set to spray a bit early at 2.5 psi of boost..
Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 PM
c6switchblade
Instructor

Did you just recently switch to a dual nozzle or has it always been set up like that? The plugs look fine, and the methanol cleans them anyway. Sounds like your system is coming on too soon and too strong. Keep the controller high and play with the ramp voltage and turn on voltage. Mine car makes 15 psi and it comes on around 4psi. There is really no need to have the methanol that low anyway. Keep an eye on the timing and fueling in the area where you are removing methanol from by making it come on later. My controller is set to 7 fyi.

Last edited by c6switchblade; 11-20-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Did you just recently switch to a dual nozzle or has it always been set up like that? The plugs look fine, and the methanol cleans them anyway. Sounds like your system is coming on too soon and too strong. Keep the controller high and play with the ramp voltage and turn on voltage. Mine car makes 15 psi and it comes on around 4psi. There is really no need to have the methanol that low anyway. Keep an eye on the timing and fueling in the area where you are removing methanol from by making it come on later. My controller is set to 7 fyi.
My controller is set to 6. We just moved to a dual nozzle when we bumped up the boost from 8 to 10 psi. Controller was set to 6 previously, then with the dual nozzle we turned it up all the way and it was way too rich so we backed it down to 6 again and it seemed fine through several dyno runs, the drive home, etc. I dont know much about tuning so I leave that to my tuner. Thats why I havent adjusted anything yet.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 PM
c6switchblade
Instructor

honestly, unless you are on a very large blower, there is no real need for the second nozzle at 10psi. I just started to need it at 15psi on a 2200sl (no cam stock block, lash cap only). I would throw more boost at it or go down to two 10gph nozzles. You do not want to turn the pump gain down lower than 5.5/6 because they get very laggy. You also do not want to pull that much fuel out of the PE because if the methanol fails for any reason you run into a much more dangerous situation.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

honestly, unless you are on a very large blower, there is no real need for the second nozzle at 10psi. I just started to need it at 15psi on a 2200sl (no cam stock block, lash cap only). I would throw more boost at it or go down to two 10gph nozzles. You do not want to turn the pump gain down lower than 5.5/6 because they get very laggy. You also do not want to pull that much fuel out of the PE because if the methanol fails for any reason you run into a much more dangerous situation.
Pretty much on par with what I have heard elsewhere. Gonna have to order a second 10GPH nozzle.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Does anybody have any experience with spark plug cleaners? I was thinking about picking up the pneumatic spark plug cleaner from Harbor freight. Really don't want to spend $80 in a week of time waiting on new plugs. I briefly texted back and forth with my tuner. He said that it is indeed possible that I could be a bit too richAnd that the LT1 is very finicky. I am not sure if they are open tomorrow, but if so I'm going to see if I can bring my car up for him to take a look at it. Was thinking about picking up the spark plug cleaner tool tonight and trying to get the plugs clean for tomorrow. Thoughts?
I have one from Harbor and it works well. It's ha heavy cast case and a cloth bag with abrasives. Rotate the plug as you spray and also gyrate the tip of the plug in a circular pattern. I do this because the abrasives are not hitting at a perfect angle. Stick your finger in and spray and you will see how yours behaves. It will not hurt at 125 psi. At least mine did not.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by imxz28
I have one from Harbor and it works well. It's ha heavy cast case and a cloth bag with abrasives. Rotate the plug as you spray and also gyrate the tip of the plug in a circular pattern. I do this because the abrasives are not hitting at a perfect angle. Stick your finger in and spray and you will see how yours behaves. It will not hurt at 125 psi. At least mine did not.
Good to know. I bought the one from Harbor Freight and haven't gotten to use it yet.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-pc-8-x-NGK-Iridium-IX-Plug-Spark-Plugs-6510-LTR7IX-11-6510-LTR7IX11-Tune-gg-/121580537907?txnId=1558080667002
This was easier for me
Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 174 Posts

Just had an "Alky Control 101" session with Julio.
When I asked with my 600rwhp setup @9psi what nozzle, he said hands down, one 10gph nozzle. I also have a very good understanding how to setup the turn-on, gain and ramp of his design.
I would think with yours, one 15 would be okay. When I told him about your 2x15gph, he said no way - go back to one. Feel free to call me and I'll explain the way you want to set up all the controls.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by imxz28
Just had an "Alky Control 101" session with Julio.
When I asked with my 600rwhp setup @9psi what nozzle, he said hands down, one 10gph nozzle. I also have a very good understanding how to setup the turn-on, gain and ramp of his design.
I would think with yours, one 15 would be okay. When I told him about your 2x15gph, he said no way - go back to one. Feel free to call me and I'll explain the way you want to set up all the controls.
Actually I talked with Julio yesterday about it lol. I explained I was running the 15gph initially and then we added a 10gph as the second nozzle (25gph total). He said I should be good on a single nozzle as you also heard. I spent all night last night getting my new Innovate Motorsports PSB-1 wideband gauge installed and running. Also pulled all the rest of my spark plugs. Going to recheck gap on them all, clean them with the spark plug cleaner I bought, and then put them back in and log a few runs. Matt @ FSP told me he would come in this weekend to look at my car. Hoping to get some logged runs in before then so I can determine if indeed I should pull the second nozzle, but pretty sure I am going to. Likely will go back to single nozzle, and crank it up to 8 so I can have to pressure to atomize the meth a little better.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Got the plugs cleaned up and put back in and went for a drive. Did a third gear pull and got up to 8.8psi peak boost. Have to watch the vid when I get home to see the AFR. While doing it, it threw a soft CEL. Will pull the code as soon as I get home. Hopefully that will help with the mystery. Engine is idling rough, a couple times almost died. Its acting like I have a aggressive cam, and of course I dont have an aftermarket came at this point..
Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Do you have hp tuners?? If you do I can help
Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Do you have hp tuners?? If you do I can help
I do not unfortunately. Also, the CEL didnt store the pending code unfortunately. Here is the video from my 3rd gear pull:

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/fyr...44FF5.mp4.html

Last edited by FYREANT; 11-25-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Pretty hard to determine what the A/F ratio actually was due to it jumping around so much. I have same Gauge in both my G8's and they always look like that.

I know when I was logging my G8 using the analog output from Innovate wide band along with other data recorded by my SCT tuner, that I could adjust A/F information so that it could be easily read. However, G8 ( cammed and with Circle D stall) ultimately needed to be tuned with HP Tuners Pro to get it to idle correctly. If you get the HP Tuners Pro Suite, you will be able to log/merge Innovate A/F info within it's logs.

Your engine running rough seems unrelated to the methanol, though I suppose if your plugs are affected by too much methanol, that they could be causing it.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

When tuned correctly the AFR shouldn't be jumping around, it should stay consistent to what is being targeted.
If the tuner set it up for 12.4 WOT afr it should stay between 12.3 to 12.5 during the pull
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
Pretty hard to determine what the A/F ratio actually was due to it jumping around so much. I have same Gauge in both my G8's and they always look like that.

I know when I was logging my G8 using the analog output from Innovate wide band along with other data recorded by my SCT tuner, that I could adjust A/F information so that it could be easily read. However, G8 ( cammed and with Circle D stall) ultimately needed to be tuned with HP Tuners Pro to get it to idle correctly. If you get the HP Tuners Pro Suite, you will be able to log/merge Innovate A/F info within it's logs.

Your engine running rough seems unrelated to the methanol, though I suppose if your plugs are affected by too much methanol, that they could be causing it.
Originally Posted by T/A KID
When tuned correctly the AFR shouldn't be jumping around, it should stay consistent to what is being targeted.
If the tuner set it up for 12.4 WOT afr it should stay between 12.3 to 12.5 during the pull
Right. Based on this I am thinking I have either a boost leak or maybe a cylinder not firing right.. Or rather firing when it wants to.

Get notified of new replies

To Something's not right. Possible meth problems....

Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 PM
DoubleDown
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How accurate is your wideband sensor and gauge? Was the AFR holding steady on the dyno when you tuned it for the 2nd nozzle?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DoubleDown
How accurate is your wideband sensor and gauge? Was the AFR holding steady on the dyno when you tuned it for the 2nd nozzle?
I just installed this wideband last night. On the dyno my tuner used his own sensor and it was clipped on to the tail pipe. Not sure if it was holding steady or not.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:14 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow FYREANT.. this is turning out to be a little gremlin. Just to throw our experiences in, we had 10#'s of boost at 650-670 rwhp and the single nozzle was perfect. Our alky control **** was set to 8. Our current build has us hopefully around 850 rwhp and we are swapping out the pulley. Looking to be around 14#'s with a cam / forged / dual nozzle meth setup. Not sure where my alky **** will be but I will pass it on when our tuner finishes our build.

Quick Reply: Something's not right. Possible meth problems....