C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWS road course chin HPDE with data

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Default TWS road course chin HPDE with data

11-14-15
68-70* (forgot exact temp on this run

2016 Corvette Z51 M7 MSRC. stock tires, xp12/8 pads, Motul Fluid, cooling rings, 15/50 oil.

Sport Mode 1

killed right front pads(maybe nannies) front left still has life, and rears held up pretty good. I was NOT easy on the brakes many 150+ mph turn 1 entry speeds, I did make the brakes fade on a 35+ min session and Im pretty certain Motul 600 fluid boiled.

Coolant: 205* (90/10 mix with water wetter)
Oil Temp: 255* (had a double walled shield and some mcmaster carr material, along with oil lines wrapped)
Trans Temp: 252*

I was running consistent 1:57-1:58's. The following day I slowed a little and tires were falling off (MPSS's are DONE) best lap was 1:56

Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Damn traffic jam on the race track! I was just enjoying it and the video was over. Let me know next time you go and I'll be there
Old 11-19-2015, 07:30 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The stock rotors can't handle road courses, I used mine once and boiled Motul 660, switched to Racing Brake Rotors and they faded.

Solution is a big brake kit, I recommend Wilwood you won't be dissapointed.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Great driving!! Looks like a fun track.

I personal like the hawk dtc 70 fronts and hawk dtc 60 rears. Usually get about 4 to 5 track days out of them.

Castrol srf my friend is highly recommended.

Last edited by lawdogg149; 11-19-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Love that track.I haven't been there in a LONG time! Last time I was there was on my CBR 954RR and almost high sided on that last sharp left turn before straight away. Took a break after that one!

Originally Posted by leadville1
The stock rotors can't handle road courses, I used mine once and boiled Motul 660, switched to Racing Brake Rotors and they faded.

Did you replace just the fronts or the back as well?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:03 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

sweet\
Old 11-19-2015, 05:24 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH76
Love that track.I haven't been there in a LONG time! Last time I was there was on my CBR 954RR and almost high sided on that last sharp left turn before straight away. Took a break after that one!

Did you replace just the fronts or the back as well?
I bought a 4 wheel kit, it was only like 3600
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadville1

Castrol srf for sure. Unsure on pads yet. I'm just happy I didn't get afm failure or overheat. But weather was cool enough the two "fast" z06 guys didn't have issues this weekend either
Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

wish we could overlay, you were fast in alot of the sections. I replaced my rotors and pads right after as well. one of the Z06 spun in front of me
Old 11-22-2015, 03:47 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sycraft
wish we could overlay, you were fast in alot of the sections. I replaced my rotors and pads right after as well. one of the Z06 spun in front of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTRyxrm8qg
Sycraft, were you in the white Z51 that came up to my car (blue Z51) while we were on grid the first day? If so, do you happen to have any of that video that I might be in? I wish the PDR had been an option for the 2014s. I have a g-pro, but usually don't mess with it...or forget to charge it...or just flat forget to bring it like I did this particular weekend.

Do the cooling rings help any? I spoke to an instructor at Eagle's Canyon this weekend that is having good luck with his stock system using the cooling rings with the carbotech pads and high temp fluid, and that track is very hard on brakes. My car didn't come with them for some reason, so I've never used them.

Last edited by NT4HIM; 11-22-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

This is a Blue C7 on session 4, that car had slicks and she was fast..

The following users liked this post:
NT4HIM (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I have some video of you on pdr somewhere as well. Imo the cooling rings probably aren't doing much. I'm probably going to swap rotors next just by speaking with others and a few instructors on here. Leadville,Ali,descartes etc
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sycraft
This is a Blue C7 on session 4, that car had slicks and she was fast..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6O5K3_gWA
Hey, thanks so much for posting this! You were behind me a good while until we got separated with all the traffic. It was during this session that I decided to do a check ride to move up to blue in order to get away from the trains. The only other time I've gotten to watch myself from someone following me was my second track day when my friend recorded my tank slapper through "Larry, Mo, and Curley," and I threatened him not to post it.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:22 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chets ls3
I have some video of you on pdr somewhere as well. Imo the cooling rings probably aren't doing much. I'm probably going to swap rotors next just by speaking with others and a few instructors on here. Leadville,Ali,descartes etc
I doubt I was in your videos for very long....you passed me pretty quickly but I'd love to see them if you do.

Ya, I kinda have the same feeling about the cooling rings too from what I've read here. I've got to find a way to have a consistent pedal, or my braking is never going to improve, which hubby says stinks, but that's coming from someone that doesn't really use his brakes.
The check ride instructor did say I was way over-slowing for several of my turns, but I was being extra cautious after the spin at my last track day and also trying to get a feel for just how much more grip I had with the slicks. I'm really leaning toward the Wilwood BBK, because of cost, but I sure like being able to change out my own pads, and the Wilwood's require removing the rotors...not sure I can do that by myself yet.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

I was supposed to check ride to Blue as well, but had a control arm loosen day 1 and alignment was off on day 2, so no runs to be safe....
Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NT4HIM
I doubt I was in your videos for very long....you passed me pretty quickly but I'd love to see them if you do.

Ya, I kinda have the same feeling about the cooling rings too from what I've read here. I've got to find a way to have a consistent pedal, or my braking is never going to improve, which hubby says stinks, but that's coming from someone that doesn't really use his brakes.
The check ride instructor did say I was way over-slowing for several of my turns, but I was being extra cautious after the spin at my last track day and also trying to get a feel for just how much more grip I had with the slicks. I'm really leaning toward the Wilwood BBK, because of cost, but I sure like being able to change out my own pads, and the Wilwood's require removing the rotors...not sure I can do that by myself yet.
Amazingly I had xp8 pads in the rear that held up really well. The xp12s up front not so much though...and I wasn't easy on the brakes. I feel like for the typical 20-25 min sessions the brakes with different rotors that accepts a good pad and ss lines with good fluid could be a satisfactory level. It all depends how much money into the brakes you want to go I suppose. My pedal feel for the pads. Stock rotors and stock lines and motul fluid was pretty good with multiple 150+ turn 1 entry speeds. Although one entry did get a soft pedal. But I'm also leaking fluid from the bleeders.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:43 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Oh btw did you get a fix for your powder coated wheels. I snagged up a replacement but still have to address that!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:48 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chets ls3
Oh btw did you get a fix for your powder coated wheels. I snagged up a replacement but still have to address that!
No, not yet. I used my stock wheels this past weekend, but I definitely plan on taking care of the powdercoat issue before taking that set of wheels back out to the track. I'm lucky we caught that the lugs were significantly loosening up every session before ruining a wheel(s) like you had happen. Who knew? Live and learn, I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To TWS road course chin HPDE with data

Quick Reply: TWS road course chin HPDE with data