C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little more power and maintain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Default A little more power and maintain warranty?

Hello,

So I have a craving for a little more power, but I really want to keep my warranty, which is hard. So, I don't want a tune, and I want mods that can be easily converted back or not noticeable.

So I was thinking a different air filter, ported throttle body and ported intake manifold, and xpipe. Will all this work together to add more power and not require a tune? I figured that if something goes caboom the dealer won't notice the ported throttle body and manifold, filter can be easily swapped out, so can be the xpipe (is there a check engine light with borla xpipe?).

finally, how much hp can I expect?

I don't want to do headers due to difficulty of install (i'm in Germany, so i'd have to do the install myself, as shops would charge a kidney to do this kind of work).
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

You can get away with cat back exhaust and air intake and or filter, you port your TB and your car starts running weird your SOL. I think the exhaust from corsa said 19 horses. You don't even notice a difference. If your worried about warranty don't screw with it

Last edited by Steven Popham; 11-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

There's nothing you can do to wake the car up as much as a tune, and with our devices its easier to put back to stock than any of the mentioned mods, there are no visible changes, and the dealer can't see it
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

I already have npp exhaust. Car is z51.

What is the gain with diablo tune? I need more horsepower to reach 190mph on the autobahn, i'm currently tapped out at 186.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

We see about 20 rwhp over stock. Better throttle response, reduced Torque management, lots of good stuff
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

depending on your year car you can actually do a eforce supercharger kit and it will have a powertrain warranty as long as its the complete edlebrock kit with the tuner and all. Which is a great selling point on the kit
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

what part of Germany are you in? i know NG motorsports in germany does great work. They bought a few of our zr1 800hp packages.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
NateDieselF4i
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

In a similar boat as you Kotik.

I have / will continue to track my cars. Nothing too crazy but not quite ready to throw away 5 years of power train warranty. Maybe after another couple seasons.

With that said I've decided to go with ARH mid-lengths with cats and borla x-pipe which removes secondary cats and does not throw a code.
You can do these without a tune. Granted not optimized but still some more power and better sound (which is also important to me).

Now not trying to argue with Mike or affect his business but I was told by my service advisor that these are the mods I should do to not effect warranty. I was told that any tune can and will void warranty from GM. When your car comes in for service they have to send some status page in that shows the number of events or re flashes of the ECU. This is a decision made by GM not the dealer on voiding warranty Or not.

Now maybe the Diablo tuner claims to / has found a way to not be detectable at any level but a Google search has me skeptical. I'm sure Mike can chime in with more specifics.

Regardless I'm going to do the mods tune-less and maybe in a season or 2 I'll look into a supercharger or heads/cam for more oomph at the track and do a tune then obviously.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
In a similar boat as you Kotik.

I have / will continue to track my cars. Nothing too crazy but not quite ready to throw away 5 years of power train warranty. Maybe after another couple seasons.

With that said I've decided to go with ARH mid-lengths with cats and borla x-pipe which removes secondary cats and does not throw a code.
You can do these without a tune. Granted not optimized but still some more power and better sound (which is also important to me).

Now not trying to argue with Mike or affect his business but I was told by my service advisor that these are the mods I should do to not effect warranty. I was told that any tune can and will void warranty from GM. When your car comes in for service they have to send some status page in that shows the number of events or re flashes of the ECU. This is a decision made by GM not the dealer on voiding warranty Or not.

Now maybe the Diablo tuner claims to / has found a way to not be detectable at any level but a Google search has me skeptical. I'm sure Mike can chime in with more specifics.

Regardless I'm going to do the mods tune-less and maybe in a season or 2 I'll look into a supercharger or heads/cam for more oomph at the track and do a tune then obviously.
you are right an aftermarket supercharger will void powertrain warranty THRU GM. The edlebrock 50 state legal supercharger kit comes with a supplemental powertrain warranty when installed by an ASE mechanic.

Also most of the time if your car just has a tune of even a few mods the dealer will warranty work unless they can prove said aftermarket part or tune caused whatever issue it is. But that is all up to the dealer ship you deal with if they will work with you or not. Some wont and Some will its just smart to do whatever the dealer you want to use all the time suggest. Seeing that he is in Germany it didnt click on me till after i had replied that I dont think the eforce warranty will cover him since he is over there.

Last edited by mike@calvomotorsport; 11-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

What do you mean by "a little more power"? Say you get another 20 HP peak. That's a gain of about 4%. Do you think you'll really be able to detect that in street driving? If the warranty is important, leave it stock.

Regarding a Diablo tune, note that the only dyno chart I've seen from someone other than Diablo showed about a 6 HP max gain, and only 2-3 hp at peak.

You might want to read these threads: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-results.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ew-tune-s.html

And while i's likely true that the dealer can't see that you've done a tune, it seems pretty clear that GM can, if they request the ECU be sent back to them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...libration.html
Old 11-22-2015, 01:50 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike@calvomotorsport

Also most of the time if your car just has a tune of even a few mods the dealer will warranty work unless they can prove said aftermarket part or tune caused whatever issue it is. But that is all up to the dealer ship you deal with if they will work with you or not. Some wont and Some will its just smart to do whatever the dealer you want to use all the time suggest. Seeing that he is in Germany it didnt click on me till after i had replied that I dont think the eforce warranty will cover him since he is over there.
I don't know if things work differently in Germany, but any significant warranty claim here in the states is not up to the dealer to approve or deny. If there's an engine problem GM is going to decide whether to authorize a warranty repair or not, no matter how much the dealer might want to "work with you."
Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I don't know if things work differently in Germany, but any significant warranty claim here in the states is not up to the dealer to approve or deny. If there's an engine problem GM is going to decide whether to authorize a warranty repair or not, no matter how much the dealer might want to "work with you."
That's the biggest misconception for people modding cars. People make coments like "my dealership is mod friendly" or "friends with the service manager". When it's all BS because GM will have the final say in major repairs.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 11-22-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Tex
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Warranty

Originally Posted by mike@calvomotorsport
you are right an aftermarket supercharger will void powertrain warranty THRU GM. The edlebrock 50 state legal supercharger kit comes with a supplemental powertrain warranty when installed by an ASE mechanic.

I see "voiding warranty" on this forum often for doing this or that to your Corvette and I think what we are left with is a great deal of misunderstanding. I have read the warranty for the C7 and the word "void" is not to be found, nor is their a paragraph in the warranty explaining these certain listed matters will void a warranty. A warranty is a legal document, a contract, and as such is not voidable ***** nilly. It is true an alteration and any damage from that alteration is likely not covered under your new car warranty but it does not void it. Any component that fails under warranty that fails independent of the non-factory part is still covered. IMHO anyone considering mods should get a clarification as to any impact on the warranty. Also, IMHO there is far too much unfound fear and misunderstanding over this notion of "voidable" and distracts from the enjoyment of our Vettes.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
NateDieselF4i
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
What do you mean by "a little more power"? Say you get another 20 HP peak. That's a gain of about 4%. Do you think you'll really be able to detect that in street driving? If the warranty is important, leave it stock.

Regarding a Diablo tune, note that the only dyno chart I've seen from someone other than Diablo showed about a 6 HP max gain, and only 2-3 hp at peak.

You might want to read these threads: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-results.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ew-tune-s.html

And while i's likely true that the dealer can't see that you've done a tune, it seems pretty clear that GM can, if they request the ECU be sent back to them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...libration.html
Originally Posted by MikeLsx
That's the biggest misconception for people modding cars. People make coments like "my dealership is mod friendly" or "friends with the service manager". When it's all BS because GM will have the final say in major repairs.

Yup - both you guys are spot on but I didn't feel like clarifying my statement for Mike at Calvo. Although I do feel he should be aware of warranty implications of his work. For some people it's a concern. For others not so much.

My dealer is friendly as can be and they told me what I can and cannot get away with for the most part and a Tune is a no-no for your power train warranty according to GM - who has the actual say to honor or deny a warranty claim.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Definitely can verify that Ford could verify ECM flash counts ( number of times flashed ) and the mileage differential from last flash to current mileage at the dealer. This was on a 2010 ECM. Don't see how any tune/flash can get around that, but know Diablo makes that claim.

Any easily installed aftermarket parts can be removed if you keep the originals. I installed a ported intake, Halltech CAI and a lower temp T-stat. Can be removed in an hour more or less. Car sounds better and throttle response is much smoother. Next ad on's will be ported TB and Borla X-pipe. If & when I decide I need more power, will have to void warranty to get it.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tex
I see "voiding warranty" on this forum often for doing this or that to your Corvette and I think what we are left with is a great deal of misunderstanding. I have read the warranty for the C7 and the word "void" is not to be found, nor is their a paragraph in the warranty explaining these certain listed matters will void a warranty. A warranty is a legal document, a contract, and as such is not voidable ***** nilly. It is true an alteration and any damage from that alteration is likely not covered under your new car warranty but it does not void it. Any component that fails under warranty that fails independent of the non-factory part is still covered. IMHO anyone considering mods should get a clarification as to any impact on the warranty. Also, IMHO there is far too much unfound fear and misunderstanding over this notion of "voidable" and distracts from the enjoyment of our Vettes.
True, but remember it's GM that decides whether the failure is due to your alteration or not. If they say they're not covering a problem because of a mod you did, and you disagree, your only option is to hire a lawyer and sue. And GM has lots of very experienced lawyers on the payroll. You can pretty well figure if an engine fails, GM is going to be looking closely to see if there were any mods done, and if they find any they're going to deny a warranty claim. And you're going to have to spend a lot of money on legal fees for a small chance of beating them in court.

What is true is that they can't "void" your entire warranty. If your infotainment system dies, they're not going to refuse a warranty claim because you did a tune on your engine. But they might very well deny a claim on your differential because of that tune.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 PM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This thread sound redundant to me.

Get notified of new replies

To A little more power and maintain warranty?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
We see about 20 rwhp over stock. Better throttle response, reduced Torque management, lots of good stuff
I don't understand how anyone would risk voiding a drivetrain warranty for a 20 rwhp gain, again, I don't even think you can feel a 20 hp gain. Now a 120 RWHP gain is a different story, but at those numbers I believe you would be pushing the envelope anyway, but if you can afford the cost of that mod, you can probably afford an engine if anything goes south. Just my .02 cents
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Since the only way to get "noticeable power" is to do a good amount of modding, there are two simple options here. There are no options inbetween these either. You either 1. leave the car stock, and are guaranteed anything that happens is covered under your factory warranty, or 2. You mod the car significantly, feel a significant power increase, and kiss your warranty goodbye. There is NO way to have your cake and eat it to. You have to pay to play. Period. /thread.

Last edited by FYREANT; 11-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:47 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

thanks for all the input. I really don't want to get into philosophical debate over warranty (it's been around since the car mods became available). As stated in my original thread, i'd like some low profile mods to increase the power. Car is very slow in triple digits, and ideally i'd like to add 4mph to my top speed. When I added a CAI to my C6z06 I did feel the power above 150mph. Yes, I agree under 100mph 20whp on a 420whp car is not going to be noticeable, but above 150mph it will help.

So, would the mods I have listed in original post add me say 20whp? Is there anything wrong with running those without a tune?

Quick Reply: A little more power and maintain warranty?