C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C7 has a Wifi hot spot added to my AT&T account but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:16 PM
vpcirc
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My C7 has a Wifi hot spot added to my AT&T account but....

Why if I try to connect to Pandora without my phone, it says no internet connection available, nor does there seem to be able to configure my wifi to the number assigned to my car in onstar as a wifi connection. So if I understand, I'm really wasting $10 a month having the car as a connection on my AT&T account
Old 01-31-2016, 12:36 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

From what I understand, Pandora in your mylink system is not a stand alone app, so it needs your phone for more than just the Internet. It's like an alias to the App on your phone.

Yes, you're paying $10 for nothing. Maybe if you had a mini van full of six kids and they all had devices they wanted to get online, wifi in your car might make sense. Otherwise just turn your phone hotspot on, and your passenger can use that if they don't have their own phone.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by vpcirc
Why if I try to connect to Pandora without my phone, it says no internet connection available,
What Rooster said about this is correct.

nor does there seem to be able to configure my wifi to the number assigned to my car in onstar as a wifi connection. So if I understand, I'm really wasting $10 a month having the car as a connection on my AT&T account
Not sure what you mean here. Your car's WiFi connection doesn't have a phone number. If it was set up correctly, when you use your phone to search for WiFi connections, you should see the car's wifi hot spot available to connect to.

But that WiFi hotspot is still going through AT&Ts 4G cellular network, so it's not likely to be any faster than just using your phone's 4G data. In weak signal areas, your car may have a stronger connection than your phone, though.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

You can connect a bunch of devices to your phone hotspot anyways, why any car would need a hotspot too is beyond me....dumb.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
You can connect a bunch of devices to your phone hotspot anyways, why any car would need a hotspot too is beyond me....dumb.
if the car had its own internet connection and did not require being tethered to your actual cell phone then I could see it being beneficial. Beyond that, your right, complete rubbish.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb

Not sure what you mean here. Your car's WiFi connection doesn't have a phone number. If it was set up correctly, when you use your phone to search for WiFi connections, you should see the car's wifi hot spot available to connect to.

But that WiFi hotspot is still going through AT&Ts 4G cellular network, so it's not likely to be any faster than just using your phone's 4G data. In weak signal areas, your car may have a stronger connection than your phone, though.
Sorry it does have a phone #, and on-star should be able to tell you what it is. I used it till the free ran out. Now use iPhone as hot spot.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dprestidge
Sorry it does have a phone #, and on-star should be able to tell you what it is. I used it till the free ran out. Now use iPhone as hot spot.
The phone # is just that: for making and receiving phone calls. It has nothing to do with using the car as a WiFi Hotspot. The car has a separate SID for that.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb

Better antenna; stronger signal. Critical in poor reception areas which abound around here. I am going back to Comstar for that exact reason. Tired of losing Pandora and iPhone navigation when I need it most.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 has a Wifi hot spot added to my AT&T account but....

Quick Reply: My C7 has a Wifi hot spot added to my AT&T account but....