C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance data recorder after fit

Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
big red one
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Performance data recorder after fit

Hi guys, I've been reading through the forum and found some threads about this but no conclusions.

Can you fit a pdr to a c7 after delivery?

Ian
Old 02-07-2016, 04:09 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Can you? Probably.

Would it be simple? Or reasonably priced? Not a chance.

Might want to consider this instead:

http://virb.garmin.com/en-US/virb-xe

No, I have no personal experience with it.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 364 Likes on 256 Posts

My car didn't come with the factory recorder but for sure it IS the way to go. I track my car so data and video is important. So far I bought a used AIM solo DL data recorder for 300 new its 700 to 900. Still need the AIM HD camera and the data cable. I will spend another 1k or more to complete the package. Then install it in the car, data recorder Velcro to the dash camera stuck somewhere near the mirror, POS. For all new aftermarket equipment one could spend 2k to 3k easy.

Wish there was a way to upgrade to the OEM set up too!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I highly doubt it, GM has done everything they can now to make sure features cant be added after the car is built. Dealers no longer have the ability to change the programming in the computer modules to anything other than how that module came from the factory for that particular VIN.

The days of past of using another vehicles VIN are long gone.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Seju
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014, and my dealer said definitively that retro-fitting a PDR is impossible in mine. 2015 onwards might be easier, because that's when they were introduced.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Difficult as it may be to retrofit, it was planned from the beginning but implemented from 2015 on. My 2014 has the camera mount built into the RV mirror bezel so the design was long done by the release of the C7. They may have been tweaking the sw and features but surely it was pretty much a finished design.

I may use the factory mount to integrate an aftermarket camera if I can find something that fits the form factor reasonably well.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by big red one
Hi guys, I've been reading through the forum and found some threads about this but no conclusions.

Can you fit a pdr to a c7 after delivery?

Ian
If you don't have a car yet make sure you get the PDR. As mentioned in a previous post you would have to pay twice the amount of the PDR to get a similar capability from other systems. The nice thing is you get a good data package at a reasonable price and they throw in a Nav system with it.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Performance data recorder after fit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance data recorder after fit