C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice article on intake valve coking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:46 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Nice article on intake valve coking

http://netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf

Last edited by COSPEED; 02-08-2016 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flyingscot (02-15-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I see a picture, but no article.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:49 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Always interested in information but...

I see nudding?

Elmer
Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

was looking forward to a nice read.

post it when you can.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:44 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

This is all pure speculation at this point without a single bit of scientific evidence.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

I want my click back.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

That's not even an LT1. Some kind if I4 from something though. Not sure why that's posted in a thread about valve coking...
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Sorry, it was on the subject as a whole.

Let me try the link again:

http://netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf
yub (03-01-2022)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by WKMCD
This is all pure speculation at this point without a single bit of scientific evidence.
Huh? I take it you have not read what I have been posting in other threads...all the documentation anyone, even the most un-educated could want has been provided, but if you personally disagree then by all means ignore all of this as it does not apply. This is only for those that do care to learn how these new GDI engines differ and the ways to keep them happy and alive for the duration.

Last edited by COSPEED; 02-08-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Huh? I take it you have not read what I have been posting in other threads...all the documentation anyone, even the most un-educated could want has been provided, but if you personally disagree then by all means ignore all of this as it does not apply. This is only for those that do care to learn how these new GDI engines differ and the ways to keep them happy and alive for the duration.

That was posted when the link wasn't working. Sarcasm.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by WKMCD
That was posted when the link wasn't working. Sarcasm.
dont take back what you said buddy
Old 02-11-2016, 03:39 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice article, but it is still speculation and there is no scientific evidence. The theory seems sound, however there are no pictures here or on the truck forums beyond those that have been floating around which were created by wet sump spillage.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by vettetwo
Nice article, but it is still speculation and there is no scientific evidence. The theory seems sound, however there are no pictures here or on the truck forums beyond those that have been floating around which were created by wet sump spillage.
Tons of pictures showing the blockage caused, wear caused, bent valves, etc. seem to be proof. A better article is in the Jan issue of Vette Magazine where James Berry goes into more detail, and he has a 3 part more in-depth series of articles coming out soon that should go a long way in dispelling any doubt.

The bottom line here though is if ANYONE is not comfortable doing anything to prevent and avoid these issues, they should NOT change a thing with their car. These threads and post's are only for those that do want to avoid this and care for their investment the best way possible.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Even with port injection, oil gets where it shouldn't be. GDI just makes it worse.

But take this for what its worth.

My dads work truck GMC GDI v8. Just hit 50k miles believe me my dad doesn't care about this engine or car. Puts abuse and hard city miles all the time. Yet it runs smooth, not down on power(from what i remember), doesn't have misfires either.

I was about to put a catch can on my corvette, but then i remembered i won't keep this car long term. I came to the concuslon that i care more about buying next generation corvette with (lets hope) better PCV OEM filtration system. according to Cospeed we will see this maybe next generation GDI engines.

with the next generation corvette maybe this problem will be solved, but its going to always have some type of problem. enjoy your cars, and worry about bigger picture stuff. If it helps you sleep better at night, add a catch can.
vettetwo (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

If you look at the new Camaro SS with the Corvette motor you will notice a oem built in catch can from the factory. If you do a search you will see a thread on this forum discussing the modification to the LT1 engine in the 16 Camaro
COSPEED2 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:10 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tommy D
If you look at the new Camaro SS with the Corvette motor you will notice a oem built in catch can from the factory. If you do a search you will see a thread on this forum discussing the modification to the LT1 engine in the 16 Camaro
dig little deeper on that "factory catch can". you will find out its not what you think. i to was excited for a fix of this problem.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
dig little deeper on that "factory catch can". you will find out its not what you think. i to was excited for a fix of this problem.
Correct. They have added the GM plastic cleanside unit, but it is just an empty plastic chamber that falls short compared to the billet Elite and CoSpeed units, and the internal "catchcan" does all the separating internally and is now also trapping and retaining the damaging compounds the older PCV systems used to effectively remove.

GM is doing tons though to attempt to solve this. They are not just ignoring it by any means. There is no way to separate and contain the oil internally w/out also retaining the damaging combustion by-products as well, and that greatly increases engine wear and shortens engine life. I am confidant that GM and all the other Automakers will implement an external solution in the future after the self draining no end user intervention needed system patents are issued they will be on all gasoline GDI vehicles, but until then those concerned have these options to avoid the issues.

I really want to see the actual valves on some of the LT1 and LT4 engines with 20k and over miles so more can see the rate these deposits form at. So far most of the examples are on 10k and less mile cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Nice article on intake valve coking

Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
I really want to see the actual valves on some of the LT1 and LT4 engines with 20k and over miles so more can see the rate these deposits form at. So far most of the examples are on 10k and less mile cars.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uplo...9339_thumb.jpg
I have a 2015 Denali CC with the 6.2 and on the gm-trucks forum there are pictures of a 2014 5.3 intake deposits with about 30k miles, it had a Catch Can installed at about 20k miles.
I put an Elite catch can on my Denali with about 4k miles -it know has 5k miles and this is what I emptied out of it after about a 6hr drive at 70+MPH with temperatures in the single digits.
I have the same system on my Z51, but it's sleeping in the garage right now waiting for spring.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by glava2876
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uplo...9339_thumb.jpg
I have a 2015 Denali CC with the 6.2 and on the gm-trucks forum there are pictures of a 2014 5.3 intake deposits with about 30k miles, it had a Catch Can installed at about 20k miles.
I put an Elite catch can on my Denali with about 4k miles -it know has 5k miles and this is what I emptied out of it after about a 6hr drive at 70+MPH with temperatures in the single digits.
I have the same system on my Z51, but it's sleeping in the garage right now waiting for spring.
clearly there is valve coking going on. But what i see is a thin layer of oil/carbon. Comparing it other pictures of valve coking, i would bet the owner of this truck isn't seeing a major impact from it.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:32 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
clearly there is valve coking going on. But what i see is a thin layer of oil/carbon. Comparing it other pictures of valve coking, i would bet the owner of this truck isn't seeing a major impact from it.
The way to know for sure is to simply either remove the IM (takes 5 minutes and all gaskets are resealable) and inspect in person and share pictures. Or, a boroscope snaked down a runner with the TB removed will show you. The engineers that designed these engine also spent a ton of R&D to determine that best shape and texture of the valves and ports for maximum efficiency, so even a small amount will create a degradation in power, but how much vs how severe the deposits are needs before and after dyno runs to document.

I always go back to a LS engine's valves with 140k on them and zero deposits :

and then look at any of these C7's or the trucks (and now Camaro's) at 5-10k miles to see there is no way the engine can operate as efficiently as with a clean deposit free valve. Seat of the pants is not a way to determine gradual degradation of power over time, but do a manual cleaning and the owner thinks they have a new car again as the restoration of power is instant.

Just always go back to this video and the pictures of others showing at low miles the build-up:

I will guarantee though if you take your dads truck, do a base dyno as it is, perform a manual intake valve cleaning and do a after dyno on the same day, same dyno, the power restored will shock you.

Even if this was a port injection engine, the "gunk" that these systems separate and trap keeping it out of the intake air charge, and ultimately the combustion chamber makes document able difference just from the more complete burn releasing more energy each combustion event and the reduction in knock retard due to the detonation this mix causes is reason for those wanting the best to install one of these effective systems.

In all the vehicles we have done before and after testing on the owner was doubtful in the beginning that the engine had lost power and response. EVERY single case, yet the after amazed them.

Try it and see, then no assumptions either way. Just undeniable proof. Arguing either way without proof is pointless.

Quick Reply: Nice article on intake valve coking