C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't turn over - crank bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Car won't turn over - crank bolt removal

Hey guys I'm in the middle of doing an ECS install and am at the point of removing the crankshaft bolt. So far snap on and Milwaukee impacts won't cut it. 24" breaker bar broke 2 sockets and won't budge using an impact socket.
2nd to last resort is a 40" breaker bar and cheater bar (will try monday).
Last resort option is doing the starter bump method which I've used before. I actually tried it earlier but the car would not turn over. I do have the steering rack, fans, etc off the car and am stumped as to why it wouldn't turn over. Is there an input that the car looks for from something I may have disconnected that would prevent the starter from activating? I had the starter out during LT installation but I checked and looks like everything was put back properly. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Hey guys I'm in the middle of doing an ECS install and am at the point of removing the crankshaft bolt. So far snap on and Milwaukee impacts won't cut it. 24" breaker bar broke 2 sockets and won't budge using an impact socket.
2nd to last resort is a 40" breaker bar and cheater bar (will try monday).
Last resort option is doing the starter bump method which I've used before. I actually tried it earlier but the car would not turn over. I do have the steering rack, fans, etc off the car and am stumped as to why it wouldn't turn over. Is there an input that the car looks for from something I may have disconnected that would prevent the starter from activating? I had the starter out during LT installation but I checked and looks like everything was put back properly. Any ideas? Thanks!
Heat it for about 2 min and you can break it loose by yourself with a 2' breaker bar. I'm 160lbs and did it solo
Old 02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Heat it for about 2 min and you can break it loose by yourself with a 2' breaker bar. I'm 160lbs and did it solo
Yea I was thinking heat too, I wasn't sure if it had red loctite on it or not. Ill try that in combination with the new breaker bar
Old 02-07-2016, 08:27 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

When I've removed the bolt on my C5 I just use a breaker bar with a 3 foot piece of pipe. That's worked every time.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:42 AM
Orange Z06 Girl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, we are in the middle of installing the innovators west 9 percent pulley on our crank and are now waiting for the little tool that locks the flexplate...anyhow why I thought I'd chime in is because hubby told me it says not to use an impact wrench because it could damage the crankshaft position sensor..
Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Heat with a 2' breaker bar will work as mentioned above. I think an impact would be fine too...as I recall I've seen on here where ECS mentions trying heat before the impact. Although I'm like Orange Z06 Girl...I'd stick with the breaker bar and do it by hand. I don't like the adverse effect impacts can have on some parts.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are going to heat the bolt, make sure you change the crank seal just for insurance.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Muuhaha
Pro

Just as an update, I finally got it removed yesterday. With heat it came off like butter! I didn't heat it until it was cherry red or anything so I didn't replace the seal. Ill keep my eye on it the first hundred miles or so. Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't turn over - crank bolt removal

Quick Reply: Car won't turn over - crank bolt removal