C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever race a stock trim car with propylene oxide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:04 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anybody ever race a stock trim car with propylene oxide?

http://southernracingfuel.com/?p=390

The basic premise of doing such is stock cars are generally tuned to run rich for factor of safety. But the degree of this fuel-rich tune is typically richer than that to make optimal peak torque and power.

Propylene Oxide, when mixed in proper proportion with gasoline, leans out the mixture because the fuel rails are supplementing the manifold in supplying oxygen. Overall, a greater charge burns and potentially more engine output is realized.

Best of all, it's a hidden power enhancer. I tried it myself on a port injected boosted factory stock car long ago and picked up some 1/4 mile trap speed as well as definite seat-of-the-pants improvement. And I didn't notice any ill effects from engine running to durability.

It's a temporary thing of course, and it may have some of your friends at the track scratching their heads. But I don't know how high pressure direct injection C7s would respond to such a fuel trick.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:58 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I know the LT engines have the safe ability to run ethanol--- But I do not know about the corrosive issues associated with running Prop Ox--You would have to research this
I do know that in the past LS engines in a Corvette were programmed very rich from the factory tune-
But the New LT engines have a complete new tuning process where IF you "ask" for more TQ/HP in the TQ response tables--the ECM will alter timing and fuel all on it's own regardless of what you have commanded in your tune----
So yes I would say you have the risk of leaning the engine down with Prop Ox
Just as an example----On the new C7 AFE has come out with a great CAI system--That system alone adds so much airflow that Diablo now has created an AFE specific tune to recover fuel and compensate for leaness at WOT-----
If a CAI can lean down a C7 then you have to ask yourself how Prop OX can affect AFR ratios at WOT as well---
Only wideband tuning and testing can give you correct answers---In the past with LS engines WOT AFR's were targeted to about 12.7--12.9 AFR----BUT the LT engines seem to be able to handle a little leaner WOT fuel---Like 13.0---13.2----

Quick Reply: Anybody ever race a stock trim car with propylene oxide?