C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track guys... GoPro and data overlay help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 275 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Track guys... GoPro and data overlay help...

I have a 2014 stingray, sadly the PDR wasn't available at that time and it is one of the features I most miss as I enjoy tracking the car, just not enough worth it at this point to trade the car as I have modified car and am otherwise happy with it.

I have a GoPro 3, I believe there is a way to use some type of OBD II device and computer software to somewhat mirror the functionality of the PDR. I already use the GoPro to film my HPDE but would love to have track overlay, throttle, rpm, etc... Any suggestions on the EASIEST setup for this type of thing would be appreciated (user friendly, etc)

I know garmin makes a complete kit for this but I already over the gopro 3 silver +, also I have an iPhone and I use a mac computer. Any suggestions are appreciated. If computer software is involved, hopefully it will work for Mac. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Traqmate (used on forums or ebay). $$$

Harrys Lap Timer (app for phone) $

Many other options.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I use HPTuners RaceRender
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

You can use TrackAddict to record on the phone and do limited telemetry (GPS really) but it also supports a bunch of wireless OBDII adapters to get the data from your car on the recordings through the phone. TrackAddict can also connect to your gopro to start a recording there at the same time.

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html

I believe most of the adapters listed there would work for Harrys lap timer as well

That would be the -easiest- way to get it done

I own an HPTuners cable so I usually just connect it in the car and start logging on my little netbook. At AutoX I put the netbook in a book bag and then buckle the book bag into the passenger seat. When I get home I use RaceRender to pull the video together with the logged data. Since TrackAddict and RaceRender are both made by the same company you can also pull videos and data recorded from TrackAddict into RaceRender very easily to get more powerful editing.

This is a video I use as an example quite often

The forward video is from my iPhone in a ram mount, rear video from my GoPro Hero 4 silver. The Track map and G-Force information came from TrackAddict on the phone and the rest of the car data was from HPTuners logs. I was able to pull all 4 sources together in RaceRender.

RaceRender is a neat piece of software as it can work with logs from almost anywhere. This is a video I put together using logs my buddy recorded from his GTR using his ECUTek tuning suite

Last edited by SK360; 02-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Seju
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use RaceChrono. It's $20 for the premium version. The only thing that bugs me is the annoying little brand stamp in the corner. I'd like to try Harry's Laptimer, but everyone says that the phone screen has to stay on while it's recording, which I think is ridiculous. If you're at an all-day track event and you want to record multiple sessions, you're going to have a hard time keeping your phone charged.

This is the ODB scanner tool I use (but I have the older version, which is blue): http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAH...332200_TE_item

I don't know if it's the scanner's fault or the app's fault (or my fault), but I can't seem to get a brake level signal into the video.

Here's a video I made with RaceChrono:
Old 02-09-2016, 02:18 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

thank you guys so much for the info, any other suggestions or options appreciated!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:21 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default obd 2 scanner says for android only I have iOS :(

do they make a version that works with iOS latest version? I have an iPhone 6s plus, thanks

Originally Posted by Seju
I use RaceChrono. It's $20 for the premium version. The only thing that bugs me is the annoying little brand stamp in the corner. I'd like to try Harry's Laptimer, but everyone says that the phone screen has to stay on while it's recording, which I think is ridiculous. If you're at an all-day track event and you want to record multiple sessions, you're going to have a hard time keeping your phone charged.

This is the ODB scanner tool I use (but I have the older version, which is blue): http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAH...332200_TE_item

I don't know if it's the scanner's fault or the app's fault (or my fault), but I can't seem to get a brake level signal into the video.

Here's a video I made with RaceChrono: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QrNXZLjTo
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i use a aim smarty-cam.

turns on when i start moving, has video overlay. i literally only remove the SD card and upload it to you tube.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AVETTE
do they make a version that works with iOS latest version? I have an iPhone 6s plus, thanks
Yes sir. I use it with my iPhone 6s.

TrackAddict is free to try and you only have to get the paid version if you want to seriously start using it as the free only lets you keep so many videos.

You will get the GPS and gforce data from the phone to try at least and if you want the OBD2 they have a list of adapters they recommend that work with track addict.

This video was done with just TrackAddict and the built in sensors on the phone, no external data as I didn't have my data logger on me.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Seju
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AVETTE
Doesn't look like they make RaceChrono for iOS, sorry. :-(

Here's a list of recommended devices:

http://www.racechrono.com/forum/#/di...periences-here
Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Just to update.. After this thread renewed my interest and reminded me I wanted to try a WiFi OBD2 adapter for trackaddict I bought this one for $16 shipped on amazon. It's not on the recommended list but from what I saw they all use the same chipsets these are just chinese knockoffs.

I tested it using TrackAddict on my iPhone 6s in my 2016 Cruze Limited since there's a ton of snow and salt around. I am very happy with it's performance and can't wait to use it at AutoX with my C7.

Attached Images  

Last edited by SK360; 02-11-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Seju
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SK360
Just to update.. After this thread renewed my interest and reminded me I wanted to try a WiFi OBD2 adapter for trackaddict I bought this one for $16 shipped on amazon. It's not on the recommended list but from what I saw they all use the same chipsets these are just chinese knockoffs.

I tested it using TrackAddict on my iPhone 6s in my 2016 Cruze Limited since there's a ton of snow and salt around. I am very happy with it's performance and can't wait to use it at AutoX with my C7.

Wow, nice and low-profile! That would be helpful in the c7, because the connector is positioned such that my big adapter invades my legroom.

I see that there's no brake signal overlaid in the video. Are you able to see a brake signal at all?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Seju
Wow, nice and low-profile! That would be helpful in the c7, because the connector is positioned such that my big adapter invades my legroom.

I see that there's no brake signal overlaid in the video. Are you able to see a brake signal at all?
Low Profile was my #1 priority so it didn't interfere at AutoX.

When I was playing with the ODB2 PIDs to log I found Brake but all it did was indicate when the brake was touched and not a percentage. Mind you this was on my Cruze and not the C7 but I'm not sure if Brake % is something available through OBD2 on the C7?

Last edited by SK360; 02-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
..... Mind you this was on my Cruze and not the C7 but I'm not sure if Brake % is something available through OBD2 on the C7?
Watch some PDR footage on youtube from 2015 C7s. The brake graph/scale is very inaccurate.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Watch some PDR footage on youtube from 2015 C7s. The brake graph/scale is very inaccurate.
The PDR has access to a lot more than what's available at the diagnostic port. Steering angle and brake movement would be pulled from somewhere outside of the diagnostic data.

Get notified of new replies

To Track guys... GoPro and data overlay help...

Quick Reply: Track guys... GoPro and data overlay help...