C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM SPO releases secondary Radiator Kit for C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Default GM SPO releases secondary Radiator Kit for C7

Today GM released A Secondary Radiator Kit for all C7 Corvettes with Manual transmission .Information states coolant temp can drop 25 degrees F and engine oil 15 degrees F.

Over the counter 12 month unlimited mile

3yr/36K mile dealer installed prior to purchase.

Adding the Z06 Grille to Base and Z51 will enhance cooling performance.
Part Number: 84037858
MSRP: $895.00

A little side bar note was " tracking and non competitive driving events" will not effect warranty.
Competitive wheel to wheel damage is not covered.

Last edited by Kevova; 03-31-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Today GM released A Secondary Radiator Kit for all C7 Corvettes with Manual transmission .Information states coolant temp can drop 25 degrees F and engine oil 15 degrees F.

A little side bar note was " tracking and non competitive driving events" will not effect warranty.
New guy question:

Is this for the Z06 also or does it already have it?

D.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

From the release information it would be a add on accessory, and is for all C7 models Base, Z51, and Z06s with the manual transmissions. It could be a Regular Production Option or part of a package for the 2017's. I doubt it will be RPO for 2016 since the 2016 production will be winding down over the next 2 months. The information e-mail is dated 3/31 so it is possible local dealer personnel may not be aware of this package at this time. You may need a parts manager's assistance to order it. After reviewing e-mail the temperature change was based on a Z51. so it maybe be different on a Z06.

Last edited by Kevova; 04-01-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume this is more for if the car is tracked often.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

From the release information it would be a add on accessory, and is for all C7 models Base, Z51, and Z06s with the manual transmissions. ...
Not entirely correct information regarding the "Manual only" application. I have it now installed on my 2015 base model with the A8 transmission. The correct wording on the release should be: "For all C7s WITHOUT a front mounted transmission cooler".

BTW - a couple of hard drives at high RPMs through my local winding roads has shown significant improvements in the coolant temps and moderate improvements with the engine oil temps.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Does anybody have installation pictures?

D.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:11 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Does anybody have installation pictures?

D.
Here you go. I removed the front bumper which made the installation very easy. At the same time I also replaced the front grill with the ZO6 grill which flows 17 percent more air (per GM).
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
BWFitz (04-08-2016), ZR-1DUDE (04-05-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I purchased mine two months ago and installed it in my Z07. Seemed to work well at the 3 day track event I just attended but the ambient temps were only in the mid 70s. Oil temp never went above 250. The radiator adds cooling capacity by cooling the coolant after it leaves the engine oil cooler and before it gets to the main radiator.

The interesting thing about the cooler is it is closed off on the bottom when installation is complete. I don't know how air flows through it. Air flows across the top of the fins and into the intercooler but I don't see anyway for anything but leakage air to get out the bottom.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-06-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I purchased mine two months ago and installed it in my Z07. Seemed to work well at the 3 day track event I just attended but the ambient temps were only in the mid 70s. Oil temp never went above 250. The radiator adds cooling capacity by cooling the coolant after it leaves the engine oil cooler and before it gets to the main radiator.

The interesting thing about the cooler is it is closed off on the bottom when installation is complete. I don't know how air flows through it. Air flows across the top of the fins and into the intercooler but I don't see anyway for anything but leakage air to get out the bottom.

Bill
We are having a hot day in CA and a good one to test my secondary radiator. Temps were 85-90F depending elevations at the Sierra Foothills. At those temps I easily run my engine oil temperatures to 290F in a matter of 10 minutes of high RPM driving BEFORE installing the secondary radiator. My coolant temps were about 230F (highest) while my highest observed transmission temps (A8 with no cooler) were around 200F. The lower coolant and transmission temps were because the oil ran up so fast to 290 that the other temperatures did not have a chance to reach higher values. I basically backed off at 290 F.

Fast forward to today's extensive 60+ miles of similar high RPM, low gear runs through the local canyons. Miles of steep downhill and miles of steep uphill. Never got higher than 3rd gear, almost always over 4000 RPM. Absolute highest coolant temp in the uphill, mostly 2nd gear sections were 212F while the max engine oil pegged at 262F. The transmission temps reached 237F now that I could run hard for longer distances.

I think, for my particular use that includes no track racing but, likely more heat producing high RPM, low gear canyon runs, I am very happy with the results.

Last edited by axr6; 04-06-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
That's odd. I figured it would work just like the centri supercharger intercoolers position-wise.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

We have them in stock if anyone is interested!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2014 z51. I had it on the track a few times and the transmission temp went into the red zone. I thought GM was going to come out with a retro fit cooler (free of charge ) to address this issue. Did this ever happen? Or do I have to purchase this one to fix the issue ?

Last edited by Stingray Al; 04-07-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

There are no TSB's related to transmission cooling involving C7. There is one for a P/S duct for track day performance - a customer pay add. You should discuss concern with local dealer or Chevrolet Customer Assistance. PIP5311B has information related to Track Days. IMO retrofits would be rare and on a case by case basis. GM has released several accessory kits related to cooling.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
That's odd. I figured it would work just like the centri supercharger intercoolers position-wise.
The radiator is placed in a hole cut in the bottom of the radiator shroud. There is a stock plastic panel that bolts to the shroud that is then replaced and it basically seals off air flow through the radiator. The panel is less than an inch below the bottom of the horizontally mounted radiator and has stiffening ribs that run along the long axis of the car. I and others thought it would be a good idea to trim the ribs since they were very close to the radiator and its tubing and might have worn a hole in one or the other over time. The only real air outlet is on the sides where there are some small gaps above the panel and the radiator support bars. On the Stage 2 and 3 cars the front splitter under tray fits under the panel adding another restriction to air flow through the radiator and out the bottom of the car. From an aero standpoint I can understand them not wanting to have air get under the car but I just don't know how the radiator works it air can only flow over it's flat side and not through it. How well would the main radiator in a car work if it was mounted sideways so the air blew past it Vs through it?

Bill
Old 04-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
We have them in stock if anyone is interested!
Hey Gene, any idea how much a shop or dealer would charge me to install this? I asked my local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks, Dave
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Hey Gene, any idea how much a shop or dealer would charge me to install this? I asked my local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks, Dave
It should be no more than 2 or 3 hours. If your local dealer doesn't know Corvette's or they don't have parts personnel who are Corvette savvy then that is normally the answer you get, unfortunately.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

The install instructions are in the GM Service Information (GM's online service manual) in 2016 Corvette Accessory Installation Manual under performance accessories. There is some work installing kit however there is no suggested labor time at this point. Gene's 2-3 hour labor definitely in the ball park.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Culley (05-04-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To GM SPO releases secondary Radiator Kit for C7

Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by axr6
We are having a hot day in CA and a good one to test my secondary radiator. Temps were 85-90F depending elevations at the Sierra Foothills. At those temps I easily run my engine oil temperatures to 290F in a matter of 10 minutes of high RPM driving BEFORE installing the secondary radiator. My coolant temps were about 230F (highest) while my highest observed transmission temps (A8 with no cooler) were around 200F. The lower coolant and transmission temps were because the oil ran up so fast to 290 that the other temperatures did not have a chance to reach higher values. I basically backed off at 290 F.

Fast forward to today's extensive 60+ miles of similar high RPM, low gear runs through the local canyons. Miles of steep downhill and miles of steep uphill. Never got higher than 3rd gear, almost always over 4000 RPM. Absolute highest coolant temp in the uphill, mostly 2nd gear sections were 212F while the max engine oil pegged at 262F. The transmission temps reached 237F now that I could run hard for longer distances.

I think, for my particular use that includes no track racing but, likely more heat producing high RPM, low gear canyon runs, I am very happy with the results.
Forgive my ignorance, but why would installation of a radiator to cool transmission fluid also lower engine oil temps as well?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Forgive my ignorance, but why would installation of a radiator to cool transmission fluid also lower engine oil temps as well?
This particular GM Secondary Radiator is mounted in the same horizontal location as the 2016 Z51 and ZO6 A8 models would have their transmission coolers. I actually suspect that it is the same model cooler.

However, in this application the cooler is in series with the coolant radiator as well as with the coolant that exits the engine oil cooler. The engine oil is cooled by the radiator coolant at the block-mounted heat exchanger. Thus, there are definite cooling gains for the coolant mix AND some moderate gains for the engine oil cooling as well.

This radiator has nothing to do with transmission cooling and will not effect those temperatures.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Ah...I misunderstood. Thanks.

Quick Reply: GM SPO releases secondary Radiator Kit for C7