C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default 18" track wheels

I want to go from my current 19/20 set up to 18" all around for track use. Who makes a good affordable track wheel? Thanks.

JV
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Great info, thanks!

JV
The following users liked this post:
BenCasey (05-08-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

If me I would go with the smallest size across in the front that I could drive with on the car as far as every day driver goes.

Like a 9 inch r no more than 9 1/2 across dont want a wide rim on the track. I know you still have to drive on the street. But a 9 inch wide on the street will work go.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by robert miller
If me I would go with the smallest size across in the front that I could drive with on the car as far as every day driver goes.

Like a 9 inch r no more than 9 1/2 across dont want a wide rim on the track. I know you still have to drive on the street. But a 9 inch wide on the street will work go.
Thanks, I'm planning on 9.5" in the front and 11" in back.

JV
Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I run CCW 18" wheels: 10" in front, 11" in the rear. Since I bought mine used for $1,500 from a forum member, I can't say if they are expensive new. But they are definitely light and durable. I currently run Hoosier 295's all around, because the square set up really helps the car rotate. But it's easy to fit 315's in the rear.
Jet Vet (04-19-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you have a Z51, not all 18" wheels will fit on the front.
I tried Cray 18" wheels from Les Schwab. Even though the "book" said they would fit, 18" Cray wheels do not clear the brake calipers.

to Les Schwab Tire for making things right and replacing the 18" for 19" wheels.
Jet Vet (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road_runner
If you have a Z51, not all 18" wheels will fit on the front.
I tried Cray 18" wheels from Les Schwab. Even though the "book" said they would fit, 18" Cray wheels do not clear the brake calipers.

to Les Schwab Tire for making things right and replacing the 18" for 19" wheels.
Agreed. I've heard that about Crays. I bought my CCW's from a guy using them On his C6. They clear the calipers just fine, but I had to use 5mm spacers to get adequate clearance from the A arms and wheels wells. Good to deal with someone who will work with you if there are clearance issues.

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 04-22-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:32 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Typically race wheels are either good or affordable, but not both. If you're running the car hard on track then I highly suggest a good wheel, like Finspeed.
MindBend (10-23-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Agreed. I've heard that about Crays. I bought my CCW's from a guy using them On his C6. They clear the calipers just fine, but I had to use 5mm spacers to get adequate clearance from the A arms and wheels wells. Good to deal with someone who will work with you if there are clearance issues.
As you know I have the same ccw's as you, I was using a 4mm spacer in the rear because of the rub/touch of A-arm at full droop! I don't see full droop auto crossing so the spacer is gone and I'm running 335/30/18 a7 Hoosiers on rear( not kidding) and with -3.0 degrees camber up front I'm running 315/30/18's on the 58mm offset. NO RUBBING on mag-ride z51 always in track mode, just had a two day event and no issues with tire size!!! <br >
Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savage
As you know I have the same ccw's as you, I was using a 4mm spacer in the rear because of the rub/touch of A-arm at full droop! I don't see full droop auto crossing so the spacer is gone and I'm running 335/30/18 a7 Hoosiers on rear( not kidding) and with -3.0 degrees camber up front I'm running 315/30/18's on the 58mm offset. NO RUBBING on mag-ride z51 always in track mode, just had a two day event and no issues with tire size!!! <br >
Also with a steel forgeline wheel 79mm offset rear there is no rubbing even at full droop! It's much thinner than the ccw's wheel, I got my GS tire sizes going on!! Thanks for reading
Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 AM
IN54NITY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run CCW 18" wheels: 10" in front, 11" in the rear. ... .... I currently run Hoosier 295's all around, because the square set up really helps the car rotate. But it's easy to fit 315's in the rear.
Hello. I am a newb to the the Corvette C7 world but not to cars and racing. I instruct for and race with BMWCCA/NASA/PCA. Thank you for the helpful posts to all of you but I had some additional questions and can't find the definitive answers using a search.

My goals: I now have a bone stock 2016 C7 with Z51 package that I want to do time trials with. Modifications I will do (and hopefully no more): Tires, Wheels, Coilovers, 4 or 6 point roll bar, and 5 point harness. (Not to mention racing pads, fluid, etc.) I don't plan on driving the car on the street much. (I didn't get mag ride on purpose.)

I intend to go square set up with 18" as well to save money and rotate tires around. I typically do enough track days/time attacks to go through about 2 or 3 sets of tires in my BMW per year, hopefully that stays the same or maybe even down to just 2 sets with the C7.

1) Are Hoosier 295s the widest you can put in the front? (Not that I can imagine needing more rubber up there.)

2) Interesting idea to buy 10" and 11" wheels and use them with "square" tires set up, but have option to go staggered. Do you have any regrets not buying 10.5" wide?

3) I do realize you bought your wheels used (smart), and you had to use spacers. Do you know what offset you have, and what offset you recommend? I don't want to use spacers and would rather just order CCW custom with the correct offset.
Attached Images   

Last edited by IN54NITY; 05-06-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:11 PM
IN54NITY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> Interesting idea to buy 10" and 11" wheels and use them with "square" tires set up

I see now you can't put a Hoosier 315/30R18s on a 10.5". Your setup is pretty cool. I'd really appreciate any pics of your Hoosier setup, especially 295 on 11s. According to this you're at max ~recommended~ width.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R8R7&tab=Sizes

Last edited by IN54NITY; 05-06-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savage
David, that is outstanding. I've got to try that. Since we're running identical wheels, I should be able to duplicate that with the same alignment (currently -2.5 camber in front, but glad to go -3.0 for 315's!). Thanks for the info bro.

PS: Do you still use a spacer up front?

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 05-06-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IN54NITY
> Interesting idea to buy 10" and 11" wheels and use them with "square" tires set up

I see now you can't put a Hoosier 315/30R18s on a 10.5". Your setup is pretty cool. I'd really appreciate any pics of your Hoosier setup, especially 295 on 11s. According to this you're at max ~recommended~ width.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R8R7&tab=Sizes
I don't have pics of the wheels/ tires per se, but maybe these will help.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IN54NITY
Hello. I am a newb to the the Corvette C7 world but not to cars and racing. I instruct for and race with BMWCCA/NASA/PCA. Thank you for the helpful posts to all of you but I had some additional questions and can't find the definitive answers using a search.

My goals: I now have a bone stock 2016 C7 with Z51 package that I want to do time trials with. Modifications I will do (and hopefully no more): Tires, Wheels, Coilovers, 4 or 6 point roll bar, and 5 point harness. (Not to mention racing pads, fluid, etc.) I don't plan on driving the car on the street much. (I didn't get mag ride on purpose.)

I intend to go square set up with 18" as well to save money and rotate tires around. I typically do enough track days/time attacks to go through about 2 or 3 sets of tires in my BMW per year, hopefully that stays the same or maybe even down to just 2 sets with the C7.

1) Are Hoosier 295s the widest you can put in the front? (Not that I can imagine needing more rubber up there.)

2) Interesting idea to buy 10" and 11" wheels and use them with "square" tires set up, but have option to go staggered. Do you have any regrets not buying 10.5" wide?

3) I do realize you bought your wheels used (smart), and you had to use spacers. Do you know what offset you have, and what offset you recommend? I don't want to use spacers and would rather just order CCW custom with the correct offset.
Let me start with the caveat that I'm no expert, but I'm glad to share my personal experience.
My fronts are 18x10 with +58 offset, rears are 18x11 with +79 offset. Remember, I've also got 5mm spacers all around.

Since you are looking to buy your CCW's new, I would definitely consult with them about fitment possibilities. I'm told that they know their stuff and stand behind their recommendations.

You should take a look at what Savage has been able to accomplish. His wheels are identical to mine (we bought them from the same forum member). I definitely want to fit 315's up front when I wear out what I've got. All of my off track adventures came from pushing in the corners. I know it probably says more about my skills than the car, but once I put wide rubber up front, better control and faster times.

I don't regret not getting 10.5 up front, but only because I'm not sure they would fit. Things are pretty tight in that front wheel well. Also, be ready to trim away some of the plastic ducting on the bottom (that purportedly directs airflow to the brakes).

Finally, be aware that I've been running Hoosier A6's. Can't vouch for how other tires will fit.

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 05-06-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Bill,

I as the above people have gone through the wheels that will fit. In short. Ccw. Forgeline. Finspeed.

Although my cray spiders 18/19 fit. They clear the brakes fine and I had a touch of rub on left rear (lowered) and I was on a 27.2 tall tire.

Magister,savage and some others have really tested a lot of the options we have.

I do know I was one of the first with the spiders. And they held up to some good abuse on slicks at TWS.
Jet Vet (05-08-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I run 18x11 front and 18x13 rear CCWs with 315 front tires and 345 rear tires. The 18x13 wheels will hit the upper control arms when the car is completely off the ground but I don't run a spacer, once some weight is on the wheels they clear fine. I put them on lower the car on the lift and put a jack under the rear control arm to raise the wheel and then do an initial tightening. Then I lower the car until the tires are touching the ground and torque them to their final settings. No need to run a spacer as the wheel won't hit the UCA when you are on track. With the fender spats on the Z06 the front 18x11 sticks out a little with a 315 tire mounted.

The only time a spacer is required with CCWs is if you have the ceramic brakes. The rotor hat for the ceramic rotors has a depressed center section that the stock wheel fits into nicely. The CCW wheel has a larger diameter rotor interface and it rides on the radiused edges of the depression and can't be torqued down. Adding a spacer to fill the depression gets you around the problem. Extended thread lug nuts work well with this so you don't need to add longer studs.

These are the same wheels I used on my C6Z. Talk to CCW and they can recommend exactly what you should run on your Z51. They have been the go to wheel people for Corvette Racers ever since I joined this board in 1999.

Bill
Jet Vet (05-08-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 18" track wheels

Old 05-08-2016, 08:35 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

David, that is outstanding. I've got to try that. Since we're running identical wheels, I should be able to duplicate that with the same alignment (currently -2.5 camber in front, but glad to go -3.0 for 315's!). Thanks for the info bro.

PS: Do you still use a spacer up front?
No spacer front or rear, with the 58 mm offset up front I needed to dump the spacer( my 60mm forgeline also works up front)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me start with the caveat that I'm no expert, but I'm glad to share my personal experience.
My fronts are 18x10 with +58 offset, rears are 18x11 with +79 offset. Remember, I've also got 5mm spacers all around.

Since you are looking to buy your CCW's new, I would definitely consult with them about fitment possibilities. I'm told that they know their stuff and stand behind their recommendations.

You should take a look at what Savage has been able to accomplish. His wheels are identical to mine (we bought them from the same forum member). I definitely want to fit 315's up front when I wear out what I've got. All of my off track adventures came from pushing in the corners. I know it probably says more about my skills than the car, but once I put wide rubber up front, better control and faster times.

I don't regret not getting 10.5 up front, but only because I'm not sure they would fit. Things are pretty tight in that front wheel well. Also, be ready to trim away some of the plastic ducting on the bottom (that purportedly directs airflow to the brakes).

Finally, be aware that I've been running Hoosier A6's. Can't vouch for how other tires will fit.
Sorry to throw more questions in the mix but this is close to what im about to buy. Im going to purchase 19x11 with 79mm offset. I read you had a rubbing concern with 18x11 79mm. I am going to be running 19x11 79mm. On the street and track. Do you think the 19 rather than 18 will help the rubbing concern and i will be able to get away with no spacer? My car is a z51. Thank you - Mike
Old 05-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Sorry to throw more questions in the mix but this is close to what im about to buy. Im going to purchase 19x11 with 79mm offset. I read you had a rubbing concern with 18x11 79mm. I am going to be running 19x11 79mm. On the street and track. Do you think the 19 rather than 18 will help the rubbing concern and i will be able to get away with no spacer? My car is a z51. Thank you - Mike
Mine is a Z51 as well. I presume, with 79mm offset, you are referring to the rear wheels. I expect you will be fine. Even with 18's, the rubbing was slight and only occurred at full droop, when cresting a rise on the track.

Quick Reply: 18" track wheels