C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 head and blower porting

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 AM
Goinbyyabig
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 head and blower porting

Hi guys, I'm obviously new here and had a question. Does anyone have any opinion or experience with porting the heads and or blower snout on a new lt4? I see several shops offering the service, but not sure who to trust with quality and turnaround time. Looking to do all the bolt on parts as well, and will probably do the cam package from the same company. Any thoughts? Thanks....
Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Taz Golf
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

IMHO the factory manufacturing process uses highly precision CNC machines to do all the machining operations. They are more precise than most run of the mill machine shops. I would see more downside as the original dimensions are precise !
Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz Golf
IMHO the factory manufacturing process uses highly precision CNC machines to do all the machining operations. They are more precise than most run of the mill machine shops. I would see more downside as the original dimensions are precise !
I'm porting my z06 blower currently... There is a lot of material to be removed from what I have personally seen
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Goinbyyabig
Hi guys, I'm obviously new here and had a question. Does anyone have any opinion or experience with porting the heads and or blower snout on a new lt4? I see several shops offering the service, but not sure who to trust with quality and turnaround time. Looking to do all the bolt on parts as well, and will probably do the cam package from the same company. Any thoughts? Thanks....
What ever shop you use ask them to show you dyno sheets on the diff. Then if me I would also ask to speak with the guy who the shop has done this work for. Plus I would want to talk to with more than 1 r 2 people.

Plus we all are car guys here that do this type of stuff so wouldn't want to be told by the shop every one don't want to have calls on this are what ever. Just my 2 cents on it. Like you are thinking also a good amount of money to give to a shop then have a worse car & them not wanting to fix it also.. Robert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Goinbyyabig
3rd Gear

I have read that you can't just hog the ports out in search of air flow numbers, due to the design of the ports being critical to how the flame front travels in the combustion chamber. I understand that if the balance is interrupted, the flame is not concentrated on the pocket in the piston dome, and power is lost. Thanks for the solid post; just what I'm hoping for is experiences, both good and bad. If it's a terrible idea, it may not happen at all, or now at least.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Goinbyyabig
I have read that you can't just hog the ports out in search of air flow numbers, due to the design of the ports being critical to how the flame front travels in the combustion chamber. I understand that if the balance is interrupted, the flame is not concentrated on the pocket in the piston dome, and power is lost. Thanks for the solid post; just what I'm hoping for is experiences, both good and bad. If it's a terrible idea, it may not happen at all, or now at least.
That's ANY cylinder head or flow path, not just DI..
I will say that a blower will mask a "bad" port job on the cylinder head though
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Goinbyyabig
3rd Gear

So, I seem to get the impression that no one has done this, or have only read about possible issues and therefore haven't been willing. Maybe my choices are just try some shop and trust their sales advice, or just leave it alone and accept that I can't touch it. Seems there must be some middle ground between a stock motor and the 1300 hp stuff I have seen videos of being run on a dyno. Hmmmmm....
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

For the heads, talk with Greg Good or Richard at Proheads.com (West Coast Cylinder Heads). I wouldn't trust anyone else. For the blower, no idea.

Last edited by WKMCD; 05-02-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 head and blower porting

Quick Reply: ZO6 head and blower porting