C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla over axle gives MIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 PM
westman
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Borla over axle gives MIL

I installed the Borla Atak over axle exhaust (11881) on my 2014 Z51 non-npp this weekend and now the MIL is coming on. This system was designed to eliminate the AFM valves by mounting them to a fake valve, but still operational to keep from throwing codes. Any idea how to get rid of it, or why it would throw codes to begin with? Will my engine grenade like owners manual states if I don't resolve it immediately?
Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by westman
I installed the Borla Atak over axle exhaust (11881) on my 2014 Z51 non-npp this weekend and now the MIL is coming on. This system was designed to eliminate the AFM valves by mounting them to a fake valve, but still operational to keep from throwing codes. Any idea how to get rid of it, or why it would throw codes to begin with? Will my engine grenade like owners manual states if I don't resolve it immediately?
I have had the same system other than I do have the NPP set up on my car. NO CODES AT ALL.. But to your other question I don't see it doing any harm to the system r motor on you. You may have to have something turned off are pull something. But then again not 100% on this. I love my set up on my car...Robert
Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 PM
westman
Instructor

Oh the set up sounds amazing! Way better than stock. If I take it to the dealer, are they going to freak? Void warranty?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 AM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Oh the set up sounds amazing! Way better than stock. If I take it to the dealer, are they going to freak? Void warranty?
David Borla explained these valves on TV. They are supposed to restrict the exhaust to increase the speed of the flow when in 4 cyl. AFM mode so it doesn't sound like a Civic. My guess would be it throws a code so that if something happened you wouldn't be driving around on 8 cyl with the valve closed which I think may actually be able to cause some engine problems being so restricted. It was my understanding the Borla ATAK kept the AFM valves on the system for the Stingray for the same reason GM put them on to begin with. Only the Z06 version of the ATAK comes without AFM valves because the Z06 doesn't have them to begin with

My dealer/service manage told me there would be no warranty problems by changing out the exhaust unless there were a failure directly related to the exhaust. I have the Borla x-pipe on my Stingray & Z06 plus the Borla ATAK also on the Z06. The dealer and service dept. have seen both cars and the only comment has been how much they like the way it sounds.

Last edited by C7 x 2; 04-29-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not sure of your statement "This system was designed to eliminate the AFM valves by mounting them to a fake valve, but still operational to keep from throwing codes."

Borla Atak 11881 ~

Those valves are for the AFM shown in the photo. NPP valves are located at the back of the mufflers (not shown in this photo as this system is non-NPP). Since you dont have NPP, you rightly got the single mode exhaust versus the dual mode which supports NPP. However, you still would 'normally' hook up the AFM valves to the new system. You move the stock valve actuators with wiring from the old system and bolt them into the Borla system to maintain AFM. I believe.

I have the Borla Atak dual mode that supports AFM and NPP. Both sets of factory valve actuators are moved from the stock system to the new Borla system and the valves are operational - not fake.

Dealer should not have any issue with a cat-back exhaust system. I have a full system - ARH midlength headers, cats, Corsa double helix offroad pipe, and Boral dual mode Atak exhaust system - no issues.

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 04-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:22 PM
westman
Instructor

On my system, it's described in this manner, "This item is used when you want to eliminate the AFM valve from your exhaust system and you don't have the NPP, dual mode exhaust option". When I spoke with the service rep, he said there are mounting bosses for the AFM valves, but they aren't hooked up to real valves. So in other words, you still hook up the AFM actuators, but they spin freely as there are no real valves to operate. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

On my system, it's described in this manner, "This item is used when you want to eliminate the AFM valve from your exhaust system and you don't have the NPP, dual mode exhaust option". When I spoke with the service rep, he said there are mounting bosses for the AFM valves, but they aren't hooked up to real valves. So in other words, you still hook up the AFM actuators, but they spin freely as there are no real valves to operate. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow - okay.

The only other thing I can thing of then is to ensure the connections are good / re-seat them.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have a similar car--- A 2014 A6 auto C7----- I installed a custom exhaust system--Actually eliminated both of the mufflers---Surprisingly the car is just barely louder at WOT and at P/T it is very mild---- This is the extreme of cat back exhausts--and yet I have never had a code or a reduced power mode
The only true way to insure NO codes or reduced power mode is to have it tuned----A tuner can completely delete any of those codes--permanently
The reason you get false codes with high flowing exhaust while using DOD is that the DOD system is triggered b several parameters----One being manifold vacuum --When adding a free flowing exhaust you change the P/T vacuum signal--which in return will false trigger the DOD-----Same thing happened to me----So after I tuned the ECM and completely eliminated the DOD---all the codes dis appeared I do not think you can retain any function of the DOD system with any high flowing at back system---So the best option is to simply delete it------
PS I noticed almost no reduction in fuel mileage----My belief is that GM installed the DOD system on the C7 simply to passify the gas gussler police
The following users liked this post:
westman (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM
westman
Instructor

Wow, that's great! I have it at the dealer right now, they'll probably say the same thing.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 PM
westman
Instructor

Would manually turning the actuators to the normally off position keep from throwing codes?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Lisa@Borla
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello westman,

Don't worry, the light is normal. Part #11881 was meant for those that want to eliminate AFM. That said, you will need to disable the AFM with a tune to turn the light off.

Please don't hesitate to call our customer service team at 1-877-462-6752 if you have any more questions or concerns. We are always happy to help!
lisac@borla.com | www.borla.com
Customer Service: 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4pm PST)

Get notified of new replies

To Borla over axle gives MIL

Quick Reply: Borla over axle gives MIL