C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster blackout.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM
rosecustom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Instrument cluster blackout.

I drove for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden my instrument cluster went totally black. I shut the car down for about 1 minute and restarted it but the cluster remained blacked out. I then pulled checked fuses 50 & 51. They both were fine. I put the back in, restarted and the dash worked perfectly. I guess by pulling the fuses acted like a total reboot of the system. I'm curious to see if others ever experienced this. Is this a known problem?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by rosecustom
I drove for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden my instrument cluster went totally black. I shut the car down for about 1 minute and restarted it but the cluster remained blacked out. I then pulled checked fuses 50 & 51. They both were fine. I put the back in, restarted and the dash worked perfectly. I guess by pulling the fuses acted like a total reboot of the system. I'm curious to see if others ever experienced this. Is this a known problem?
No but in a lot of times pulling the fuse out are unhooking the batt for a small time will reboot stuff for sure in these new cars.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 AM
zeps7784
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Had this happen last week. Dealer is installing new gauge/panel.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM
hammong
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine (2014 C7 base, build 6/2014) has had the main cluster go black during driving one time, and it came back on it's own after about 10 seconds of being black. I chalked the event up as a software glitch, as it hasn't done it again, and the vehicle didn't lose power or control when it happened. These electronic LCD dashes have their own processors, firmware, and interfaces, some rumor the code base to be in the millions of lines. Anything's possible with that much coding - and I doubt these systems have ECC and thread-safe software in them.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument cluster blackout.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster blackout.