C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had their electric assist pump go out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Anyone had their electric assist pump go out?

anyone had their electric power steer pump and rack out? I marked it all when I took mine out but could be off a few teeth?

Basically the electric pump/motor has a small fine belt that runs the rack. It all works fine but when I crank it all the way I sometimes get a popping kinda noise,,,,,,,, I assumed the motor and or rack have a sensing device to know pressure so to speak. The alignment of course never changes since its a belt running it. I wonder of I have an issue with the electric pump maybe? double and tripled checked all the bolts in the rack and front end and its all tight??

Any thoughts would be great, thxs hanny
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

bump
Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I've changed the eps. Not sure why you would take it apart. AFAIK, the eps is serviced as an assembly with no repair procedures.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3X2
I've changed the eps. Not sure why you would take it apart. AFAIK, the eps is serviced as an assembly with no repair procedures.
thznks for response 3x2, I took the motor out to move it out of the way to pull the rack when I did the force supercharger, the issue I have now is when you are at the far lock (all the way left or right) I get a popping noise sometimes?
I cant imagine these things have to be indexed? unless I screwed up and did something wrong? I double and triple checked all bolts. wonder if its not my fault and/or I need to take it in? thxs for reply. hanny
Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

From what I'm told, the way the motor is assembled to the rack housing is that it is not made to be removed.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3X2
From what I'm told, the way the motor is assembled to the rack housing is that it is not made to be removed.
bummer if that's the case,,,,,,,,,, its like 3 or 4 simple bolts and its off the rack quick.
I decided to remove the motor from the rack because it was up in the air and quicker/easier (took like a minute to unhook motor from rack) then unhooking cables that run to it and disconnecting the battery, might of been a mistake the way it sounds?????
The motor actually runs a small belt if you can believe that, I kinda thought it would be gear to gear but when i went to put it back together I was like "theres a belt inside the housing,,,,, that's strange?" LOL.
I';ll dop some more digging and find out if it needs indexed but I cant imagine it would? thanks for responses 3x2..... appreciate the input. take care, paul

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone had their electric assist pump go out?

Quick Reply: Anyone had their electric assist pump go out?