C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on sound of aFe intake for C7?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
killshots
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Opinions on sound of aFe intake for C7?

I want a little more punch – and a lot more sound – from my Stingray, so it will shortly be going to Cordes Performance for ARH catted mid-lengths, a Borla catless X, and a B&B Fusion exhaust. I’m going this route (without a tune) because I’m not willing to sacrifice my powertrain warranty and because, once a car has an aftermarket tune, it becomes radioactive to a dealer at trade-in time. The consensus seems to be that the full exhaust will net me maybe 25 HP. If I go with an aFe intake, as well, I’ll probably net another 5 HP and improve the inhale as well as the exhale, so it’s probably smart. My question has to do with noise. I don’t like intake noise and have never been a fan of that momentary “sucking” sound that the C7 makes when revved. How much louder will this noise be with the aFe intake?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by killshots; 05-07-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:20 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

If you don't like the stock intake noise, you will not like the AFE additional suction sound.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:46 AM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

If you put that exhaust on you will not be able to hear the intake. I have the AFE intake, Borla x-pipe and ATAK on a Z06. I cannot hear the intake over the exhaust at all. I have an ARH mid-length due to arrive next week. Once I get it coated and installed I'll get back to you.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Like he said above you'll never hear it. I put it on the stock NPP exhaust and could barley hear the sucking sound and after I put the Borla X pipe on I can't hear it at all. I am interested in your impressions of the headers because I would like my car louder as well but don't want to tune. Just not sure $2000 is worth it for the headers. Please give up a follow up when you're done.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 AM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by killshots
I want a little more punch – and a lot more sound – from my Stingray, so it will shortly be going to Cordes Performance for ARH catted mid-lengths, a Borla catless X, and a B&B Fusion exhaust. I’m going this route (without a tune) because I’m not willing to sacrifice my powertrain warranty and because, once a car has an aftermarket tune, it becomes radioactive to a dealer at trade-in time. The consensus seems to be that the full exhaust will net me maybe 25 HP. If I go with an aFe intake, as well, I’ll probably net another 5 HP and improve the inhale as well as the exhale, so it’s probably smart. My question has to do with noise. I don’t like intake noise and have never been a fan of that momentary “sucking” sound that the C7 makes when revved. How much louder will this noise be with the aFe intake?

Thanks in advance.
I noticed it right away on install, but after a few drives, it is just the standard sound and I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:34 PM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

same as halt, don't really even notice,
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 PM
killshots
Instructor

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM
killshots
Instructor

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
Like he said above you'll never hear it. I put it on the stock NPP exhaust and could barley hear the sucking sound and after I put the Borla X pipe on I can't hear it at all. I am interested in your impressions of the headers because I would like my car louder as well but don't want to tune. Just not sure $2000 is worth it for the headers. Please give up a follow up when you're done.
Just picked up the car yesterday. Here's a follow-up...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html
Old 05-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like I'll probably go with the ARH mids too soon but I'll probably just leave the stock NPP exhaust and tips. Now just a matter of finding the time as it's probably going to be getting a new torque converter soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on sound of aFe intake for C7?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on sound of aFe intake for C7?