C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Coupe Key Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:15 AM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 2014 Coupe Key Fob question

Actually, 3 questions...

1. If I buy a factory replacement key fob for my 2014 Z51 Coupe, can I program it myself or will I have to pay the Dealer to do it?
2. If I buy a used 2014 Coupe key fob, CAN it be reprogrammed, assuming it's already been programmed for another C7?
3. Anyone recommend a good place to buy a Replacement key fob? I bought my Corvette used and it only came with one key.
New to this Generation Corvette, any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by 1buddyc
Actually, 3 questions...

1. If I buy a factory replacement key fob for my 2014 Z51 Coupe, can I program it myself or will I have to pay the Dealer to do it?
2. If I buy a used 2014 Coupe key fob, CAN it be reprogrammed, assuming it's already been programmed for another C7?
3. Anyone recommend a good place to buy a Replacement key fob? I bought my Corvette used and it only came with one key.
New to this Generation Corvette, any help will be appreciated.
When I got my '15 it, too, only had 1 fob. The corvette store tried to program an additional fob but were unsuccessful.

They said to take it to the Chebby dealer for programming. Did that and they were unsuccessful in reprogramming fob. I then ordered a new transmitter ($160) and had a metal key cut ($52.5).

The dealer then charged me $235.88 for TWO programming sessions - one unsuccessful with the old fob and the successful one with the new fob. Total cost out the door: $504.21. Fortunately the corvette store paid for the two programming sessions and shop charge, so my cost was $233.

Adding insult to injury, my metal key lock mechanism became disconnected from the rear bumper so right now the metal key is useless. Hopefully I can get a warranty fix for this problem.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CP
When I got my '15 it, too, only had 1 fob. The corvette store tried to program an additional fob but were unsuccessful.

They said to take it to the Chebby dealer for programming. Did that and they were unsuccessful in reprogramming fob. I then ordered a new transmitter ($160) and had a metal key cut ($52.5).

The dealer then charged me $235.88 for TWO programming sessions - one unsuccessful with the old fob and the successful one with the new fob. Total cost out the door: $504.21. Fortunately the corvette store paid for the two programming sessions and shop charge, so my cost was $233.

Adding insult to injury, my metal key lock mechanism became disconnected from the rear bumper so right now the metal key is useless. Hopefully I can get a warranty fix for this problem.
Dang, what a horror story..JUST what I'm hoping to avoid.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Not sure but there are websites that can answer your questions.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:17 PM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Not sure but there are websites that can answer your questions.
Yes, I realize that, but I'd much rather hear from someone who actually has had a hands-on experience with this concern..
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Yes, I realize that, but I'd much rather hear from someone who actually has had a hands-on experience with this concern..
Yes, to your first and second questions.

Buy new fobs through Gene Culley's Cultrag GM Parts site. They will help you get the correct fob and the correct key to go in the fob. You will still need to get the key cut but that isn't that much money even at the dealer.

Haven't had hands on experience with the C7 but did with the C6. If you read your owner's manual it shows how you can add key fobs to the car. There are two methods.

First is learning a fob when another transmitter (fob) is recognized. Like the C6 any you add will be number 3 and above but you can add them. With the C6 number 3 and above fobs couldn't access certain info on the DIC. I don't know about the C7 but the same stupid rule may apply with it as well.

Second is learning without a recognized transmitter (fob). This procedure dumps all remotes programmed up to this point and starts you with fob number 1. On my C6 I couldn't get this to work when I wanted to change fob 3 to fob 2 because fob 2 was lost. After several days of trying I took it to the dealer and it took them a couple of days to do it right. They kept getting it as fob 3. They only charged me for one programming session.

In your case start with the second procedure. That will eliminate the missing fob from the car and prevent it from working with your car. I wasn't successful using that procedure on my C6 but I did know people who were successful.

Bill
Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Use this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

Elmer
Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 AM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen.. Now I have a better handle on it.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM
TBBE
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1buddy, same thing happened to me when I purchased my c7 used... I ordered a keyfob on eBay & am praying it will work... I will take tomorrow to Vara who said they'd charge $39.95 to program & then $25 to laser cut key. Will let you know how that goes.. I had called benson & gunn service who were gonna charge me $130 to program! Idk why so much?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:29 PM
TBBE
Advanced

Btw 1buddyC I am also in San antonio
Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TBBE
Btw 1buddyC I am also in San antonio
Thanks TBBE, I ended up buying a used RKE with an uncut key off eBay last night.
Just got my car yesterday! First Corvette I've owned in 14 years.
Let me know how it goes, I'll probably go to Vara also if you have success.. be sure and get me a name of your Service Advisor there too, if you dont mind.
The following users liked this post:
TBBE (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
TBBE
Advanced

I will, honestly am nervous about letting Vara mess with it especially given that the other service dept were charging way more.... You get what you pay for
Old 05-21-2016, 10:31 PM
TBBE
Advanced

Sorry buddy, didn't have chance to get fob programmed today... Will be a while till I get there
Old 05-21-2016, 11:20 PM
1buddyc
1buddyc

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TBBE
Sorry buddy, didn't have chance to get fob programmed today... Will be a while till I get there
No problem, just let me know how it went when you get it done.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm in the process of going thru this same thing. The used C7 I just purchased had but one fob w/key. I knew they were pricey and was able to negotiate the vehicle purchase price down accordingly. Anyway, I have a new transmitter and key on order from GM. With programming the cost will be about $350. It's my understanding the key will come already cut from GM (I had to supply the vehicle's vin #), and I will have to leave the vehicle and current fob/key with the dealer for programming.

Last edited by Squeaky Wheel; 05-22-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 PM
TBBE
Advanced

Squeaky I bought my fob w/ uncut key on eBay for $85
& have called several area Chevy dealers... 1 dealer quoted me $39.95+ tax to program & $25 + tax to laser cut key... Other dealers were charging $60-$130 to program
Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 PM
224robinsong
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used C7 remote fob

I purchased off of Ebay (from the same person), two USED c7 remotes for my 2014 automatic. The USED remote's frequency and part numbers matched my two existing WORKING remotes.

I installed new batteries in the USED remotes.

I was able to enter programing mode as described in the owner's manual.

Either USED remote was not recognized by the programing process.

I went to my trusted local locksmith who cut the laser keys for me (new blanks were found on Ebay).

He was unsuccessful in programing either remote. He said, wait a minute, let us check the manual covering all remotes. The book said the remote was NOT reusable. They were LOCKED to the previous vehicle. He had a similar problem programing a Cadillac's used remote.

I'm going to contact http://freshcarkeys.com/order.php and see if they can "refresh" my two USED remotes.

The programing instructions in the OM are geared to NEW remotes (not USED remotes).

I'll let you know how this all works out.

Jim G/
Old 05-25-2016, 01:34 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Jim G, is your car Canadian?

If so, you cannot program them yourself.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, to your first and second questions.

Buy new fobs through Gene Culley's Cultrag GM Parts site. They will help you get the correct fob and the correct key to go in the fob. You will still need to get the key cut but that isn't that much money even at the dealer.

Haven't had hands on experience with the C7 but did with the C6. If you read your owner's manual it shows how you can add key fobs to the car. There are two methods.

First is learning a fob when another transmitter (fob) is recognized. Like the C6 any you add will be number 3 and above but you can add them. With the C6 number 3 and above fobs couldn't access certain info on the DIC. I don't know about the C7 but the same stupid rule may apply with it as well.

Second is learning without a recognized transmitter (fob). This procedure dumps all remotes programmed up to this point and starts you with fob number 1. On my C6 I couldn't get this to work when I wanted to change fob 3 to fob 2 because fob 2 was lost. After several days of trying I took it to the dealer and it took them a couple of days to do it right. They kept getting it as fob 3. They only charged me for one programming session.

In your case start with the second procedure. That will eliminate the missing fob from the car and prevent it from working with your car. I wasn't successful using that procedure on my C6 but I did know people who were successful.

Bill
Thank you for the referral. We would certainly be happy to help out.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Coupe Key Fob question

Quick Reply: 2014 Coupe Key Fob question