C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short throw shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:54 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Love the MGW. Dead quiet! Easy to shift to all gears.
Much better than stock.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Aside from the obvious shape difference, is there any mechanical difference between the flat shifter and regular short throw shifter? Just wondering why the price difference. Do I also have it straight that the OE **** will fit the short shifter but not the flat shifter? Anyone have a pic of the regular shifter installed?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-06-2016, 07:31 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 on MGW, not only is it a quality piece, But the folks there are very helpful! Awesome customer service!!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
+1 on MGW, not only is it a quality piece, But the folks there are very helpful! Awesome customer service!!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Aside from the obvious shape difference, is there any mechanical difference between the flat shifter and regular short throw shifter? Just wondering why the price difference. Do I also have it straight that the OE **** will fit the short shifter but not the flat shifter? Anyone have a pic of the regular shifter installed?

Thanks,
Mike
Im also wondering if the stock **** will work with the mgw shifter.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Will an aftermarket shifter eliminate or reduce the annoying 7th gear gate? I know some form of gate is necessary to prevent inadvertently going in the wrong gear but the stock 7th gear is really difficult to get into.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Im also wondering if the stock **** will work with the mgw shifter.
Yes, the stock **** will fit on the regular short throw shifter with the
standard shaft receiver for the ****. I have their accessory **** shaft bolt that has threads for the T-handle I have.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Citation
Will an aftermarket shifter eliminate or reduce the annoying 7th gear gate? I know some form of gate is necessary to prevent inadvertently going in the wrong gear but the stock 7th gear is really difficult to get into.
Yep the MGW gets all gears nicely.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Just ordered my MGW short shifter, based on this thread. Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Short Throw MGW

Originally Posted by joemosfet
Just ordered my MGW short shifter, based on this thread. Thanks guys!
I started this particular thread and after reading all the positive responses on the MGW, I ordered one yesterday. Can't wait.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

It's arriving today, and I plan to do the install right away, as it seems pretty easy. I'll give an update when it's in.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

After driving it around the weekend, I gotta say, I love clicking through gears.

The throw is nice and short, and gear changes are solid and confident.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

How is downshifting? Heel to toe with these type shifters. Factory fairly easy to do. I have another companies, and it seems to be more for dragracing or daily driving.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Well, I actually haven't done any heel-toe shifting in it since rev match is so good at it, but I'll give it a try, though.

I would expect it to be equally as easy unless you double clutch. I say this because it may be easy to go 4-3 instead of 4-n-3, which is required for double clutching. That being said, I feel the synchros are fast enough to not really require double clutching.

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-22-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
Well, I actually haven't done any heel-toe shifting in it since rev match is so good at it, but I'll give it a try, though.

I would expect it to be equally as easy unless you double clutch. I say this because it may be easy to go 4-3 instead of 4-n-3, which is required for double clutching. That being said, I feel the synchros are fast enough to not really require double clutching.
If you do not double clutch, you are not really doing heel/toe downshifting.
The idea is to engage the clutch to spin the engine and input of the transmission up to match the rest of the drive train at wheel speed. You cannot do that if the clutch is in.

Seems to me you should be releasing the clutch in neutral even though you are letting rev matching blip the throttle for you.. Rev matching still only does half of the job for you..

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

^ Eh, I disagree. In my estimation, heel-toe specifically refers to foot position - as distinct from double clutching. If you're operating both pedals with one foot, I'd say you're heel-toe-ing. Rev matching or heel-toe-ing without popping the clutch in neutral can still spin up the engine to the correct downshift speed while the synchros do a fine job of spinning up the transmission's input shaft (the purpose of double-clutching). I bet the syncros will spin up the input shaft quicker than the driver can pop the clutch while inbetween gears.

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-22-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

How is the gear shift effort on the MGW? My main concerns are trouble getting in gears and too much effort.

It also seems like with some of these mods...people sing their praises but when you push them on 'are there issues' they start to admit some faults that don't get mentioned. Anything like that with the MGWs? Seems hard to go back to stock so I'm concerned about putting one in.

Last edited by spearfish25; 08-24-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Short throw shifters

Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spearfish25
How is the gear shift effort on the MGW? My main concerns are trouble getting in gears and too much effort.
Technically, the amount of effort required is the same (energy in, energy out, and all that).

However, because the travel is lessened, it actually feels like less effort to shift - I can move my wrist only, I don't need to move my arm.

Gears click into place satisfyingly, and gear changes are confident and easy. Shifting from 2-3 or 4-5 feels more natural as well.

It also seems like with some of these mods...people sing their praises but when you push them on 'are there issues' they start to admit some faults that don't get mentioned. Anything like that with the MGWs? Seems hard to go back to stock so I'm concerned about putting one in.
I know exactly what you're talking about. When a person is proud or excited about something, they find ways to lessen the blow of faults, find ways to justify why something that was originally a downside is actually a good thing. (For example, "When I buy a Corvette it has to be fully loaded!" turns to "Well, I don't track it, so I don't need Z51" etc.)

For me, though, I don't have much room to do that. It helps when, between my father and I, we have over 3500 horsepower worth of vehicles, so we can compare, highlight differences, etc. It keeps us honest.

As for the shifter? Honestly, I have yet to find a fault with it. Installation is easy (except for a slight pain removing the shift boot in order to remove the stock shifter, not a fault with the MGW).

I was a little worried about heat, seeing how the stock shift box blocked the metal components from any heat coming up from the exhaust around the torque tube. However, the amount of heat shielding used by the MGW kit completely mitigates this.

If you didn't like it, though, and decided to go back to stock, you'd need to buy a new rubber shift boot isolator, as the MGW kit requires modifications to it. Otherwise road noise leaks in from around the torque tube.

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-24-2016 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spearfish25 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Had the MGW for about 2 years now and not a single problem.
Also, it will be EASY to return to stock if you want to...just keep the stock parts.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer

Thanks,
Mike
Both styles have the same base. I had the regular MGW that utilized the stock shift ****. Another member had the flat stick and wanted the regular. So we did a swap and all we had to trade was the uppers and left the base bolted in the car. They really perform the same, just matters what look you want:

Quick Reply: Short throw shifters