C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
By the way, what times do the C7s do at the Ridge? Trying to see what should be my goal
They vary with each group. We don't get many. Usually a couple of them for the day. One in each group. I only see one in the Advance group once in a rare while. I don't see them doing fast laps. May be you can change that...?

I went to ORP last year. Saw a lot of them, but they were mostly in Novice group.

Edit: For what it's worth, as a measuring scale, a respectable time for a "capable" street car is under 1:55. Sticky tires, set up, weight can then play their role in shaving that. In a big Hp car, I wouldn't focus on lap time, as it'd make you try to make up for lack of smoothness by pushing harder in between corners, with a domino effect. Learn the track, focus on smoothness, and lap time will come. You will know when your lap times are good, when you don't see the blue flag!

Last edited by Kamran; 06-01-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:51 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
They vary with each group. We don't get many. Usually a couple of them for the day. One in each group. I only see one in the Advance group once in a rare while. I don't see them doing fast laps. May be you can change that...?

I went to ORP last year. Saw a lot of them, but they were mostly in Novice group.

Edit: For what it's worth, as a measuring scale, a respectable time for a "capable" street car is under 1:55. Sticky tires, set up, weight can then play their role in shaving that. In a big Hp car, I wouldn't focus on lap time, as it'd make you try to make up for lack of smoothness by pushing harder in between corners, with a domino effect. Learn the track, focus on smoothness, and lap time will come. You will know when your lap times are good, when you don't see the blue flag!
Well, the C7s I saw were also in slower groups, so I could not get an opinion on what the typical lap times would be with C7s at the Ridge. I sure got a lot more competition from Z/28s.

My car won't be ready for a while, but I'll for sure attend track days at the Ridge when I can; only with my Miata for the time being. Do you have any track videos? I'd love to see your car in action.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Update on wheels:
One of the constraints for my CCW wheel setup was that ST60 StopTech BBKs should clear the wheels. They said the wheels in our order would (CCW TS12 wheels 18x10.5 ET57 front, 19x11.5 ET83 rear), but once they manufactured the wheels, they realized that the wheels would not clear the calipers per the fitment template. Anyway, long story short, they are replacing the front wheels with 18x10.5 ET52 front, which has 5mm more clearance inside, but is pushed 5mm further out. I asked if this setup would rub at all at the track. They said they tried 18x11 ET57 (my original offset, but 6mm wider on each end, so it should protrude 1mm more than this new offset) at the track with no issues with 295 Toyo R888s, and that I should have no issues with my NT01 275/35/18. Well, Toyo's 295/30/18 is actually a bit shorter (25.1" vs. 25.55" NT01s), which might help, but I suppose it would still be a harder fit.

Anyway, long story short, my wheel specs have changed. They are now:
CCW TS12 wheels 18x10.5 ET52 front, 19x11.5 ET83 rear
Old 06-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Kamran
Pro

Your rear wheel ET seems like a lot!? Are you sure you can clear the calipers with an offset of 83???

One of the issues you may have to be on the look out is how much negative camber you are planning on. If it's tight in there, you might rub on your suspension (I had to use spacers to clear my OZ wheels, not something I would have liked to do, but hey my track width is now wider...there's always a bright side). They won't be able to tell in the shop. Car has to be on ground with suspension loaded while turning the steering. If you hear a loud noise while driving, that's a problem!

I've ordered a GS, and mine will most likely not be ready for track duty until next season.

I don't t typically keep videos of myself. I use the free version of Track Addict app, which only stores up to three events. I delet them right after each session. The only video I've kept is one where one of the officials in one of major car clubs, in a much more capable car than mine complained about my driving! ... mostly because he couldn't shake me off in his car and although he'd disappear on the straights, his rear view mirror would soon be filled with my front end. I think he got a tad bit irritated since this went on lap after lap. So I kept the video in case he wants to make a case of it!...our financially blessed NW has its share entitled uptight drivers...road & track!

Last edited by Kamran; 06-01-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
Your rear wheel ET seems like a lot!? Are you sure you can clear the calipers with an offset of 83???

One of the issues you may have to be on the look out is how much negative camber you are planning on. If it's tight in there, you might rub on your suspension (I had to use spacers to clear my OZ wheels, not something I would have liked to do, but hey my track width is now wider...there's always a bright side). They won't be able to tell in the shop. Car has to be on ground with suspension loaded while turning the steering. If you hear a loud noise while driving, that's a problem!

I've ordered a GS, and mine will most likely not be ready for track duty until next season.

I don't t typically keep videos of myself. I use the free version of Track Addict app, which only stores up to three events. I delet them right after each session. The only video I've kept is one where one of the officials in one of major car clubs, in a much more capable car than mine complained about my driving! ... mostly because he couldn't shake me off in his car and although he'd disappear on the straights, his rear view mirror would soon be filled with my front end. I think he got a tad bit irritated since this went on lap after lap. So I kept the video in case he wants to make a case of it!...our financially blessed NW has its share entitled uptight drivers...road & track!
What was your OZwheels' size and offset? CCW believes that it should work; we'll have to see! I have my own worries about the wheel fitment, but there's not much I can do at this point. Wheels are already manufactured.

What was your lap times around Ridge? I still have no idea what times you guys see at the Ridge.

Last edited by X25; 06-10-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Kamran
Pro

My 17"x8" OZ's were not for a Vette, currently I drive what someone once called an Anti-Vette!!!??? No, not a Miata! My lap time with my lovely underdog is under 5 min!!!

As you go with wider wheels, you need "less" offset. A not-so-accurate rule of thumb is for every inch in width of wheel, you "decrease" offset by 12mm. But then, you still need to worry about how much neg-camber, as you tip the tops of tires in.

In Advance group, we have open wheel cars doing circles around the rest of us, Stock cars, Cup cars, and lots of very capable high $ fast cars ("some" with fast drivers) and then there's me!

I'm hoping the GS, once set up, can start chasing open cars and cup cars....or I'll just embarrass myself!

I just watched your video, and you were driving what seemed easy effort and still you were doing 1:57+/-/lap. That's respectable for someone who doesn't intimately know the track. I think you should easily be able to get down close to 1:50 if late braking/trail braking and letting the car get on the edge a little, plus hitting the apexes such that you actually put the inside wheel on the rumple strips (ok for suspension to climb up on them). 1:50 is a very good lap time for street cars, weighing well over 3200lbs.

Last edited by Kamran; 06-01-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 AM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm here to get my learnin on. I'm a track virgin about to jump into this with a nearly stock z51. It's not totally stock, I have a critical radar detector installed to help me evade track police.

Also, this thread has no pictures,of the parts, installation, nada. Just an FYI, I'm sure it's a tragic oversight.

Last edited by BenCasey; 06-02-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:58 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BenCasey

I'm here to get my learnin on. I'm a track virgin about to jump into this with a nearly stock z51. It's not totally stock, I have a critical radar detector installed to help me evade track police.

Also, this thread has no pictures,of the parts, installation, nada. Just an FYI, I'm sure it's a tragic oversight.
Patience, my friend, parts just started trickling in. I am receiving the rest of the Z06 brakes tomorrow, and the other OEM parts (Z06 grille, transmission cooler, etc.) by the end of the week!

NT01 275/35/18, 305/30/19

GM AUX Radiator, rear rotors

Last edited by X25; 06-02-2016 at 02:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BenCasey (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

I wish you were my neighbor
Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it did not take long; I received all the parts for the Z06 brakes!

As expected, it only too 1.5 weeks for the parts to arrive (even though it said 1-2 months delay).
BenCasey (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

On the left, StopTech ST60 pad, on the right, Z06/ZL1/CTS-V pad on the right, C7 rear pad at the bottom.

C7Z06, ST60(StopTech), C7 rear pads

Z06 fan, transmission oil cooler, quarter panel vents, and front grille are in.

Last edited by X25; 06-10-2016 at 11:39 PM.
BenCasey (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I see you have a max jack, how high are your ceilings? I'm thinking about adding one, but I only have 8 foot ceilings.

I too am very interested in your build. As we are thinking along the same lines. I've subscribed!

On the oil front, I've been running 0w-40 in my race bike for years. Produced same heat as 15-50, but increased HP by 2 over the thicker oil. I know bikes are different than cars, but I'm not sold on thick oils any more.

Last edited by AKKutz; 06-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:43 AM
KLdy
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Good to know about the GS; the typo is still in the press release!

Regarding oil, I had comprehensive testing on my supercharged Miata, and my experience is the other way around, which has been shared by others, too. The higher weight oil always adds heat.

Regarding pressures, you cannot directly compare pressures of different weight oils since some of the pressure increase is caused by the back pressure, not necessarily more oil flow. After all, we care more about proper oil flow throughout the engine than anything else. When the oil is at 290 degrees F and you read very low pressures at idle, it might freak you out , but the oil is flowing regardless. It becomes more important as the revs climb.

Speaking of analysis, I did get 5W-30 oil analyzed after running very hot on my Camaro 1LE at open track days with hour-long sessions, and results were perfect; no issues or degradation, whatsoever.

Perhaps I might switch to 0W-40 for this car, we'll see, but 5W-30 worked great on LS3 and Miata's MZR engines : )
Heavy Weight oil flows slower and does generates more heat for the oil and the engine, the only issue with using the 5W-30 that would concern me is the viscosity change while heating it up.

I am using 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra platinum since it was rated the highest for wear protection from RAT 540, it is super hard to find as well

I will change my oil after 1-2 trackdays so the sheer doesn't give me any troubles.

it is also dexos 1 approved as well
Old 06-04-2016, 01:46 AM
KLdy
Instructor

I have the AP Racing Radical BBK It has been working out very well for me

IMO not even the Z06's CCB are worth it. The only CCB I trust now is PCCP and from Brembo..

but I am not sure about the OEM Z06 Brakes tho
Old 06-04-2016, 01:51 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AKKutz
I see you have a max jack, how high are your ceilings? I'm thinking about adding one, but I only have 8 foot ceilings.

I too am very interested in your build. As we are thinking along the same lines. I've subscribed!

On the oil front, I've been running 0w-40 in my race bike for years. Produced same heat as 15-50, but increased HP by 2 over the thicker oil. I know bikes are different than cars, but I'm not sold on thick oils any more.
I was very clear on using 5W-30, but I got so much flak on my decision, I wonder if I should compromise a bit and use 0W-40 instead. I ordered some; perhaps I should try comparing the temps with these oils.

Originally Posted by KLdy
Heavy Weight oil flows slower and does generates more heat for the oil and the engine, the only issue with using the 5W-30 that would concern me is the viscosity change while heating it up.

I am using 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra platinum since it was rated the highest for wear protection from RAT 540, it is super hard to find as well

I will change my oil after 1-2 trackdays so the sheer doesn't give me any troubles.

it is also dexos 1 approved as well
+1; this was my thinking, and I used 5W-30 on my Camaro with great results in terms of oil test results. My oil did not even degrade one bit.

In other news, I received the seat conversion kit, T1 suspension, sueded steering wheel/**** : )
Old 06-04-2016, 01:54 AM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by X25
I was very clear on using 5W-30, but I got so much flak on my decision, I wonder if I should compromise a bit and use 0W-40 instead. I ordered some; perhaps I should try comparing the temps with these oils.

+1; this was my thinking, and I used 5W-30 on my Camaro with great results in terms of oil test results. My oil did not even degrade one bit.

In other news, I received the seat conversion kit, T1 suspension, sueded steering wheel/**** : )
THE..WHAT?

btw I am 100% gonna upgrade to the OEM Bucket seats.

Comfort and have holes for Harness as well!!.I can use the heated seats and all that good stuff

Not going for a rollcage too complicated, a rollbar is in consideration, but doesnt the rollbar postiions takes away some back room...?

Last edited by KLdy; 06-04-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KLdy
THE..WHAT?

btw I am 100% gonna upgrade to the OEM Bucket seats.

Comfort and have holes for Harness as well!!.I can use the heated seats and all that good stuff

Not going for a rollcage too complicated, a rollbar is in consideration, but doesnt the rollbar postiions takes away some back room...?
Corvettes come with a very strong halo. The harness bar (like the Sharkbar) adds an additional mount onto the halo, and makes it even stronger. This, combined with the fact that Schroth Profi II ASM would make sure I'm not pinned should keep me safe in the unlikely event that I end up using the car's strength to protect myself.

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Old 06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by X25
Corvettes come with a very strong halo. The harness bar (like the Sharkbar) adds an additional mount onto the halo, and makes it even stronger. This, combined with the fact that Schroth Profi II ASM would make sure I'm not pinned should keep me safe in the unlikely event that I end up using the car's strength to protect myself.

I hope that day never comes
Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

With pads, pins, etc., but mostly due to pads, the total weight jumps to 14.1 lbs from 9.3 lbs.

T1 suspension - shocks 22873513, 22873509

They're very lightweight.

Both front and rear shocks weigh the same.

Suede-wrapped steering wheel, shift boot, and ****.

Competition seat conversion kit - grommets with competition text (matching the steering wheel).

The sway bars look pretty large. One of them has a writing on it that says it's 31 (mm?); can't read the other one. They're definitely hollow.

I love the way GM designed these hollow control arms

Last edited by X25; 06-05-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Just ordered the rear Z06 brakes, too:
Rotor: 20981824 x 2 = $300.25 x 2 = $600.50
Calipers (black):
23198738 23198738
23198739 23198739
= $219.31 x 2 = $438.62
Total: $1039.12

The 2-piece rear rotors look amazing!

Once I put these on, I will sell the Z51 brakes as a kit. I also ordered 5mm spacers to try and see if the Z06 front brakes clear OEM Z51 wheels with the spacer (for street use?)

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 Arctic White track build