C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

LOL at your ballast.

I took a file something similar to what you have done on the rear fenders.

I just went from sticky to really sticky tires few weekends ago, and now I'm developing some A arm rub on my front forge lines. Kind of disappointed in that, and didn't really want to resort to a spacer, but I might have to. Im about to make the leap into a 325/305 setup as well but on a pirelli.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
LOL at your ballast.

I took a file something similar to what you have done on the rear fenders.

I just went from sticky to really sticky tires few weekends ago, and now I'm developing some A arm rub on my front forge lines. Kind of disappointed in that, and didn't really want to resort to a spacer, but I might have to. Im about to make the leap into a 325/305 setup as well but on a pirelli.
What size/offset are your wheels? Does that happen at the inside tire side of the corner (over-compression), or outside side (over-droop)? CCW would originally make my front wheels 18x10.5 ET57, but later changed it to ET52 since they said ET57 would not clear the StopTech BBKs (which I put in as a clearance requirement).

You had magna ride right? I wonder if switching to Z07 springs + getting DSC module to tune your shocks accordingly would fix your problems.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I believe et59 up front.

I do have mag ride, and have debated if the dsc setup would work or the springs and dsc combo. I don't know enough about the mag shocks to know if that will create more issues or be more beneficial.

So far I've been very happy with what the mag ride +swaybars have been able to accomplish.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Did you do anything to "seal" the fiberglass? The problem I've seen when fiberglass has been sanded, cracked or chipped is that it likes to absorb water which will compromise that whole section.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chets ls3
I believe et59 up front.

I do have mag ride, and have debated if the dsc setup would work or the springs and dsc combo. I don't know enough about the mag shocks to know if that will create more issues or be more beneficial.

So far I've been very happy with what the mag ride +swaybars have been able to accomplish.
Yeah, in comparison, my 18"x10.5" wheels are at 52mm offset, which provides quite a bit more clearance. CCW originally wanted to do it at 57mm, which would still have 2mm more clearance; I'm not sure why they would want to go that aggressive (59mm).

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
Did you do anything to "seal" the fiberglass? The problem I've seen when fiberglass has been sanded, cracked or chipped is that it likes to absorb water which will compromise that whole section.
Himm good to know; thanks! I did not, but I did not drive since besides the test drives, either, so it's not too late to protect it : )

The location should really never show anything, since it is the lip part of it that protrudes inside, invisible, but I will paint over the lip using the touch-up. Actually, I suppose I could just use clear-coat, too.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Better to be safe than sorry, plus I've seen when fiberglass starts to flake it can spider. A lot of possible crappy situations that can be avoided by simply putting paint or clear over it.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Check this out (from 3:40):

It turns out T1 lower control arms will be made available for individual purchase! This is what I should've done in the beginning, but it was not available at the time : ) This should help Grand Sport guys on removing the excessive play on control arms.
The following users liked this post:
daleong (12-11-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

On a separate topic about oil.. I think we were discussing 0W-40 use in this thread also...

I talked to my local Performance shop owner about it and he agrees you can run 0W-40 as a compromise, with an increase in valvetrain noise as the only downside. He used to run it in his own ZL1 and Z06, but nowadays he just rathers swapping between 5W and 15-50 as needed..
Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by daleong
On a separate topic about oil.. I think we were discussing 0W-40 use in this thread also...

I talked to my local Performance shop owner about it and he agrees you can run 0W-40 as a compromise, with an increase in valvetrain noise as the only downside. He used to run it in his own ZL1 and Z06, but nowadays he just rathers swapping between 5W and 15-50 as needed..
Indeed, I understand how GM thought to create those guidelines but it's also quite disappointing since they don't seem to care about all that extra waste and maintenance work owners would have to do, just to follow it. They'd definitely recommend 0W-40 Mobil 1 if it were dexos1 approved, which I think will happen soon.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by X25
Indeed, I understand how GM thought to create those guidelines but it's also quite disappointing since they don't seem to care about all that extra waste and maintenance work owners would have to do, just to follow it. They'd definitely recommend 0W-40 Mobil 1 if it were dexos1 approved, which I think will happen soon.
not sure if it's been discussed in this thread or not, but why bother swapping? I guess if you're going to the track once a year sure but with any regularity I just keep 15w50 in it.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I would be surprised if GM changed their stance on Track/Competitive Driving preparation for existing vehicles. I can see them changing on a new model year, but I don't see them for 2017 and prior. Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:13 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
I would be surprised if GM changed their stance on Track/Competitive Driving preparation for existing vehicles. I can see them changing on a new model year, but I don't see them for 2017 and prior. Hopefully I am wrong.
Well, 2015 Z51 manual recommends -2 / -1.7 F/R camber, while 2016 recommends -2 /-2 for track use; I doubt anyone would follow the old recommendations, considering there are no chages in suspension. Same goes for the engine, too; if there are no clear changes, whatever is recommended for future years, I think we could easily win our warrany claim in court (if it ever comes to that).

Last edited by X25; 12-13-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:50 PM
daleong
Pro

Track day at COTA this Sunday... just in time for a cold front. Supposed to be a high of 39F and low of 30F!

Well at least my PSS's won't overheat... or my car for that matter...
Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Track day at COTA this Sunday... just in time for a cold front. Supposed to be a high of 39F and low of 30F!

Haha, yeah, that's also what I'm thinking about the Spring Mountain days (Jan 18/19). I'm in Hawaii until the end of the year; no track days for me until next year.

Have fun at COTA! I would obviously love to try that track one day. I have a trailer, too, and I can easily travel to far tracks, but no other friend does, which means I'd have to be alone. Having two little toddlers mean I can't do it with my wife, either.

I have been thinking about a long trip for track days for a while. I might try NoCal tracks this year, such as Thunderhill, Sonoma (where I attended a Lemons race once), and Laguna Seca. My company's HQ is in Mountain View, CA, so I was thinking, next time I need to attend meetings (likely will happen in March), I could just drive down with my car in tow, and then do a track day or two once the meetings end. I would also love to carry both of my cars, and try them both, but 2-car trailer pretty much means a heavy duty truck, not to mention an ugly (long) trailer. Well, a man can dream.. : )

Last edited by X25; 12-13-2016 at 10:45 PM.
daleong (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Have fun. I bailed on this event. Anniversary weekend, I made the wise choice to pass. Going to Houston for the weekend. Post up how edge addicts event is ran! Good luck and have fun
daleong (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 PM
daleong
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
Haha, yeah, that's also what I'm thinking about the Spring Mountain days (Jan 18/19). I'm in Hawaii until the end of the year; no track days for me until next year.

Have fun at COTA! I would obviously love to try that track one day. I have a trailer, too, and I can easily travel to far tracks, but no other friend does, which means I'd have to be alone. Having two little toddlers mean I can't do it with my wife, either.

I have been thinking about a long trip for track days for a while. I might try NoCal tracks this year, such as Thunderhill, Sonoma (where I attended a Lemons race once), and Laguna Seca. My company's HQ is in Mountain View, CA, so I was thinking, next time I need to attend meetings (likely will happen in March), I could just drive down with my car in tow, and then do a track day or two once the meetings end. I would also love to carry both of my cars, and try them both, but 2-car trailer pretty much means a heavy duty truck, not to mention an ugly (long) trailer. Well, a man can dream.. : )
Thanks! I believe some guys fly in for the track days here and rent a Radical along with full support crew. No, can't imagine what that costs...

You know a Ram HD and double enclosed trailer really isn't that far fetched...
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! I believe some guys fly in for the track days here and rent a Radical along with full support crew. No, can't imagine what that costs...

You know a Ram HD and double enclosed trailer really isn't that far fetched...
There are two dealers in Idaho with close to 20% off on RAM 2500s; it might happen one day : )

Last edited by X25; 12-13-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Old 12-14-2016, 06:15 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

after TWS last weekend in 35F weather, I think I'm done until probably March at the earliest.

I keep teetering on the edge of trailer or not to trailer. Currently I drive back and forth but that's really the extent of the driving I do on public roads with the car.

I have a Tacoma that "can" (6500lb capacity) tow the car, done it before I wouldn't want to tow anything very far because the engine is a little weak.

I'm positive that I commit I'll go crazy and end up with a F250 or something crazy that I really don't need.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by X25

You don't happen to need a photographer for this imaginary/future COTA trip do you?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
after TWS last weekend in 35F weather, I think I'm done until probably March at the earliest.

I keep teetering on the edge of trailer or not to trailer. Currently I drive back and forth but that's really the extent of the driving I do on public roads with the car.

I have a Tacoma that "can" (6500lb capacity) tow the car, done it before I wouldn't want to tow anything very far because the engine is a little weak.

I'm positive that I commit I'll go crazy and end up with a F250 or something crazy that I really don't need.
The struggle is real. I keep almost pulling the trigger in a 1-ton truck, only to come back to my senses, thinking I shouldn't commute my mere 2.8 miles drive to home with a tank weighing 4 tons!

I'd highly recommend a full size truck with a V8 or similar. My RAM 1500 with Hemi V8 works great! I tried various different trucks / SUVs to tow my cars, and despite what the tow ratings would suggest, V6 trucks never worked well, hunting for the right gear at every uphill.

For the dream of towing two vehicles, though, I think I'd need an HD. Until I commit to towing two vehicles, though, regular full size trucks are superior in every other way in my opinion
Originally Posted by four0nefive
You don't happen to need a photographer for this imaginary/future COTA trip do you?
I'd love to have a get-together; it'd be so much fun! It will happen.

Last edited by X25; 12-14-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 Arctic White track build