C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH76
Have they resurfaced this track yet?
Its supposedly getting sold and the new buyers are repaving + redoing the layout. I've been advocating hard for removing two of the double apexes and getting something different in there. Aside from being hell on brakes, it's the same turn over and over and over again.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The time has finally come; I'll be in Spring Mountain WED-THU 18-19 for the level 2 event; who else is coming? I am looking forward to it, but also a bit nervous about it, since I haven't driven anything with an oomph for months; it's been right at freezing temps here for a while now.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 PM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm sure you will have a good time. I think for you it will start really slow though. First day will be ok.. but the 2nd day will be more enjoyable. Will be eagerly awaiting your report after!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Looking forward to the event! Here's hoping it doesn't become a bruised ego with my rustiness.

In other news, I just ordered Eibach springs for my coilovers at the same rate!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0700/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0750/overview/

Eibach produces some of the finest race car springs in the world. When other springs sag, or need frequent replacement, top race teams from F1 to WRC, from Le Mans to NASCAR, inevitably turn to Eibach. To produce springs with unparalleled precision and repeatability, Eibach uses the world's finest Hi-Ten spring steel, produced to exceedingly precise tolerances. Eibach uses state-of-the-art technology in every step of the manufacturing process.

Eibach motorsports race spring features include:

* Ultra-lightweight for reduced unsprung mass
* Maximum deflection, in combination with smallest block heights
* Exceptional block resistance and durability
* Precision planparallel and square end configurations under unloaded and loaded conditions
* Lowest side loads with load center ideally located relative to spring axis
* Precision tolerances--the tightest in the industry
* Highest linearity and guaranteed rate consistency
* Each spring individually tested and rated
Why? I have owned a few coilovers, and this car is the one that settled the most; as much as 20mm. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the springs themselves. I know for a fact that different brand springs react differently. I actually love my current setup, and the LG G2 coilovers have worked EXCELLENT so far. If I can remove the high preload from them, it would be perfect setup in my opinion. If these springs sag 10mm less, I'd only need half the preload!

It is a very cheap experiment to do. Looking forward to comparing the spring weights, and the results. Between these tests and my Miata almost getting finished with its race-Öhlins coilovers, the next season can't come soon enough : )

Last edited by X25; 01-12-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
The time has finally come; I'll be in Spring Mountain WED-THU 18-19 for the level 2 event; who else is coming? I am looking forward to it, but also a bit nervous about it, since I haven't driven anything with an oomph for months; it's been right at freezing temps here for a while now.
See ya there! I'm kind of in the same boat, this past Sunday was the first time I've driven my C7 in weeks. It was the first SCCA Solo event of the year and unfortunatley it was 25* in the morning and by the time I ran it was in the high 30 to low 40 degree temps. I'm still running on the OEM runflats and while I've had great experience with them heated up, they are garbage cold. I was all over the place and people I usually beat by 0.5-1.0 seconds ended up beating me by 2.5-3.0 seconds.. And then two days later it's in the mid 70s, Texas go figure
The following users liked this post:
daleong (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:47 AM
daleong
Pro

You guys have any last minute questions before you go?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by daleong
You guys have any last minute questions before you go?
Can we bring our own helmet? I hate using loaner helmets : )
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, you can bring your own. I would assume in the Level 2 everyone brings their own. Nobody brought their own in my Owner School, but we were all rookies. I had a helmet, but didn't bring it.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
Yes, you can bring your own. I would assume in the Level 2 everyone brings their own. Nobody brought their own in my Owner School, but we were all rookies. I had a helmet, but didn't bring it.
Cool, will do. Do the school cars have any race harness in them? It would be nice to bring HANS; I like my neck : ) I'll bring it just in case.

I'm flying right after the school on Thursday; I started wondering if that was a mistake, as in, if I should've stayed for Friday as well and enjoy around; oh well..
Old 01-12-2017, 02:26 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I doubt they have harnesses, as they basically run these things stock except for they use Hawk brake pads. They run them for 10K miles and sell them, so they aren't going to put any additional money and equipment into them.

I did school on a Thurs/Fri and spent the weekend in Vegas. Much better than doing Vegas first and then the track.....but folks do it.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:39 PM
daleong
Pro

No harnesses. Just standard seatbelts... I would not bother with bringing your HANS.

That being said, I have been thinking about investing in the Simpson Hybrid restraint system where you don't have to have 4 or 5 point belts to have a HANS system.

I didn't want to lug my helmet on the plane when I went, so I just took my balaclavas and used theirs. I picked the helmet that was in the best shape for the entire course.

Class was over by about 4pm on the last day.. several guys had 7pm-ish flights out of Vegas that evening, so they had to haul *ss out of there to make it.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:01 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by X25
Check this out (from 3:40): https://youtu.be/n2wbtmG8eqo?t=221

It turns out T1 lower control arms will be made available for individual purchase! This is what I should've done in the beginning, but it was not available at the time : ) This should help Grand Sport guys on removing the excessive play on control arms.
guys,
I know I haven't been following this thread and you are all doing some nice things to your cars. But when I hear a GM spokesman on the video saying that these are brought to you by the same engineers who brought the track ready Corvette C7 Z06? I wonder why they have ignored the overheating C7 Z06 issues and still put a smiley face on it?

it will be 2018 before the Z06 will have dual intercoolers similar to our already developed LG Motorsports coolers?

I have raced GM cars for over 28 years and they have never had a track ready car, ever.

They have hurt on track innovation because they have gotten all of the sanctioning bodies to not allow any Corettes or Cadillacs other than the 2 factory cars.

We have had C7 Sway bars, A Arms, Special Spindles, air intakes for all the cars that GM makes. Without our parts, there is No factory track ready Corvette that can compete with our products.

Am I bragging a bit? Yes but we have backed it up in Pro Racing many times, BUt the Track/Street parts that GM is bragging about are a giant step below our parts. BUT they still Bragg like they are the best thing since sliced toast.

Ok, Enough of my rant.

If you want about 3 levels above what they are offering, then give us a call. If you only want to play around for fun, then stay stock.

Have a great time at your track days. No matter what or where you drive, you will have fun for sure.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

And on a side note, we are working on our LG Motorsports Park track as we speak,. 3 Mile track just north of the Dallas metroplex. only 24 miles north of Down town plano.

Here is the track layout

The following 2 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
IN54NITY (03-26-2017), w00tw00t (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Indeed, there's still much to be desired to get these cars ready for track. That said, I think GM is still the company with best cars for track use south of $150K. I am grateful that companies like LG Motorsports exist, so when we run into issues, we can fix it : ) After all, even the most track-ready version of any car manufactured (except ACR-X?) is very much biased for street use, and it makes sense considering their target audience.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Curious why you went with the Z51 with no magnetic ride?

Is it easier to swap for more performance parts etc?

This question is meant to understand your set up more, not in any way to be a negative of not getting the Magride.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
dowroa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
curious why you went with the z51 with no magnetic ride?

Is it easier to swap for more performance parts etc?

This question is meant to understand your set up more, not in any way to be a negative of not getting the magride.

Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by w00tw00t view post
@x25 - sorry if you already covered this previously ... How are you planning to manage ptm / ah / errors etc. When you switch to coilovers?
I bought z51 without the mrc option exactly for this reason; there's nothing to simulate or fix!

As i've mentioned before, if you're planning to modify the suspension with coilovers, z51 w/o mrc seems to be the best starting point, since you don't need to deal with errors, and you won't need to pay for hardware you'll eventually replace. In other words, in my personal opinion, there are only two cars to get from c7 lineup for track duty: C7 z51 base, or c7 gs z07. One will need suspension investment, but cheaper overall, while the other will be much more expensive overall, but will retain a good part of that in trade-in value as well. Your pick : )
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593175750

Last edited by dowroa; 01-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
X25 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
guys,
I know I haven't been following this thread and you are all doing some nice things to your cars. But when I hear a GM spokesman on the video saying that these are brought to you by the same engineers who brought the track ready Corvette C7 Z06? I wonder why they have ignored the overheating C7 Z06 issues and still put a smiley face on it?

it will be 2018 before the Z06 will have dual intercoolers similar to our already developed LG Motorsports coolers?

I have raced GM cars for over 28 years and they have never had a track ready car, ever.

They have hurt on track innovation because they have gotten all of the sanctioning bodies to not allow any Corettes or Cadillacs other than the 2 factory cars.

We have had C7 Sway bars, A Arms, Special Spindles, air intakes for all the cars that GM makes. Without our parts, there is No factory track ready Corvette that can compete with our products.

Am I bragging a bit? Yes but we have backed it up in Pro Racing many times, BUt the Track/Street parts that GM is bragging about are a giant step below our parts. BUT they still Bragg like they are the best thing since sliced toast.

Ok, Enough of my rant.

If you want about 3 levels above what they are offering, then give us a call. If you only want to play around for fun, then stay stock.

Have a great time at your track days. No matter what or where you drive, you will have fun for sure.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

And on a side note, we are working on our LG Motorsports Park track as we speak,. 3 Mile track just north of the Dallas metroplex. only 24 miles north of Down town plano.

Here is the track layout

Lou:

Will that be a track wide enough for cars? Motorcycle friendly? Time of completion?
Do you have a plan as to how it will work? Is it going to be a membership like ECR and MSR? I have a feeling my firm will need a membership and some advertising space

Either way, I'll be calling you guys up for some suspension work when the warranty is up

BTW: you never responded to my pm

With regard to cooling, as a former powertrain development engineer, I saw the C7Z06 and thought "man, I'm shocked they can cool that thing." When I found out they couldn't, additional air inlets were absolutely my first thought. You guys nailed that. I can't believe GM didn't.
And it looks great- like a Z06 should from the factory.

Last edited by village idiot; 01-14-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
Looking forward to the event! Here's hoping it doesn't become a bruised ego with my rustiness.

In other news, I just ordered Eibach springs for my coilovers at the same rate!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0700/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0750/overview/

Why? I have owned a few coilovers, and this car is the one that settled the most; as much as 20mm. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the springs themselves. I know for a fact that different brand springs react differently. I actually love my current setup, and the LG G2 coilovers have worked EXCELLENT so far. If I can remove the high preload from them, it would be perfect setup in my opinion. If these springs sag 10mm less, I'd only need half the preload!

It is a very cheap experiment to do. Looking forward to comparing the spring weights, and the results. Between these tests and my Miata almost getting finished with its race-Öhlins coilovers, the next season can't come soon enough : )

After a long research, I've decided to return these springs. These are not any better than HyperCo springs, and will likely settle as much as the original springs. I will be waiting for Anthony's solution for the 0.5" height increment. Looking forward to it : )
Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by village idiot
Lou:

Will that be a track wide enough for cars? Motorcycle friendly? Time of completion?
Do you have a plan as to how it will work? Is it going to be a membership like ECR and MSR? I have a feeling my firm will need a membership and some advertising space

Either way, I'll be calling you guys up for some suspension work when the warranty is up

BTW: you never responded to my pm

With regard to cooling, as a former powertrain development engineer, I saw the C7Z06 and thought "man, I'm shocked they can cool that thing." When I found out they couldn't, additional air inlets were absolutely my first thought. You guys nailed that. I can't believe GM didn't.
And it looks great- like a Z06 should from the factory.
Lou has been very busy with the new building and plans for the track so he has not been online as much as he typically is. I'll PM you his contact info for the track membership programs.

Yes cars and bikes both will be running once it is all done.....he is a race driver you know..think he would build something he wouldn't drive on?

We, and our customers, have been very happy with the cooling system results. The package fits nicely, works, and adds as little weight as possible to the front of the car.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Love the layout; the whole thing looks like fun.

It's actually makes me think a lot of MSR-C, without the stupid rattlesnake and a bit of ECR (center left, straight to double apex), but not the same damn turn 4x a lap. Once a lap is plenty

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 Arctic White track build