C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

No kidding.. I will try to evaluate the effect of a bit higher suspension height over last time, but there are just too many variables (ambient temps, tires' freshness, my own freshness, direct sunlight vs. clouds, tire pressures, etc.) that I'm not even sure if I can have a conclusive answer, unless there's a major change in times. I do have less preload, but also more height; I'm trying to see which one is the bigger evil : P

Agreed on the street tires; I don't bother anymore, unless it's something that holds up like the Goodyear G:2s or Hankook RS-3s.

The next track day seems to be March 4th (if it doesn't get canceled like the previous ones); we'll see.

Last edited by X25; 02-13-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Coming from bikes, I forgot cars don't have independently adjustable ride height from preload. Still seems odd to me that I worked on suspensions for long (before bikes) without independent ride height adjustment.

I'd imagine suspension geometry has a best height on this car and that's where you want to be.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:09 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

btw: for us mortal drivers, I'd suggest trying tuning one section at a time. It's easier to figure some stuff out on a single section and compare the time there than a whole lap at a time. For me, if I come out of turn 6 faster, just because I really nailed it this time, there is a huge straight. I might very well end up with a faster lap top (or similar) despite being slower the rest of the track.

If you're very consistent, you probably don't have that problem. There is one section on my home track I use to figure stuff out.
The following users liked this post:
X25 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:38 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by village idiot
Coming from bikes, I forgot cars don't have independently adjustable ride height from preload. Still seems odd to me that I worked on suspensions for long (before bikes) without independent ride height adjustment.

I'd imagine suspension geometry has a best height on this car and that's where you want to be.
Coilovers on my Miata has independent ride height adjustment by way of turning the shock body, but these don't have such a setting. It might have to do with Bilstein not providing such an option to LG; I'm not sure.

On my Camaro, I was able to significantly drop my ride height with no impact on geometry, by simply switching to 19" wheels with lower profile tires from stock 20" wheels; that was sweet.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

A lot of that, in the science experiment keeping everything replicable, requires a consistent driver

My laps still vary too much for me to know what I like I wish I ran laps within .5 seconds every time
Speaking as a crew guy......can't do anything about the driver, just yourself and the work on the car. If the car is repeatable...nothing you can do with the driver other than replace them.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Speaking as a crew guy......can't do anything about the driver, just yourself and the work on the car. If the car is repeatable...nothing you can do with the driver other than replace them.
Before my lawyering days, when I was an engineer for a factory that supported a GT3 team, they asked us for year end advice. Our response was, "fire the driver, pit crew, chief, and truck driver. You can keep the owner." (truck driver over-tightened the car and bent the chassis, not even kidding)

My current problem is that while I'd love to fire the driver, the owner wouldn't stand for it. One of the quirks having the the owner and driver be the same person

Last edited by village idiot; 02-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

what an awesome thread : )
The following users liked this post:
X25 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

No worries, Driving a car on track is no different than any other skill. It can be learned.

Racing is addicting and so are Corvettes.

All that matters is that it is fun and gets the blood and Adrenalin pumping!!!!

Life is too short to waste on the mundane

See you at the track

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 03-22-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Keeping this thread going....

To avoid melting rubber boots anywhere near brake calipers, I wrap anything near calipers that could melts with this (anything similar to this actually works nicely):

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Kamran; 03-24-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:08 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
Keeping this thread going....

To avoid melting rubber boots anywhere near brake calipers, I wrap anything near calipers that could melts with this (anything similar to this actually works nicely):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VTYPFG..._1490407143619
Thanks for the suggestion. Once I install the 2017 ducting, I will actually need to do this since the new style does not protect the boots. That said, I will just use the regular DEI wrap with metal zip ties. I think it works just as good, and is a bit better weather-proof in my experience : )

Since I removed and reinstalled the coilovers, I would like to get alignment done again before hitting the track. Unfortunately, my technician had some urgent matter to attend to (busted hot water pipe at his home), so he couldn't do it, today. As a result, I will be attending next Monday's ORP track day with the Miata. I have a new appointment on WED. If it works out, I'll be attending March 31st Friday with the Corvette; can't wait!

On a side note, since I did not touch any adjustment bolt, the alignment might still be OK despite the height change. We'll see where it is next week.

Last edited by X25; 03-25-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Kamran
Pro

Yeah, I saw someone posting on the track reliability thread that they had to replace their grease boot under warranty because they had melted.

We put a paint mark on the bolt and body to monitor if the alignment changes during trackdays. If it does, I might look into camber plates.

I am thinking of next Friday's too, if I can get my oil changed in time. It's the last Ridge day.
Then there's April 8th with T2.

I know Corvette guys may not like running with a bunch of Japanese cars, but TSS has three days at very reasonable price, which I've signed up for all three. Lots of FRS's there.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Kamran
Pro

Since it's the start of track season, many new owners may be thinking harness bars. If you are in Wa, Dan at VetteWorks is local to us and a genuinely helpful nice guy. His son is a mechanical engineer, and uses Solid Works (a Finite Element software) to analyze a lot of parts he fabricates. He is always happy to lend a hand or talk you through whatever you may want to customize. He also has templates to cut exactly what and where to cut the OEM plastic liners inside your car to install parts.

Dan Hagerty
Vetteworks Motorsports
3290 B St. NW Ste B
Auburn , WA 98001
PH-253-223-4968

Here is a complete list of parts you'll need to order if you are installing Sharkbar and harness.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kamran; 03-25-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

We put a paint mark on the bolt and body to monitor if the alignment changes during trackdays. If it does, I might look into camber plates.
If you're running hard with sticky tires and ad riding some curbs into the mix, your alignment is probably going to suffer. We have the only camber kit available for the C7 if you decide to go that route. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark@AMT Motorsport:
Chets LS3 (03-28-2017), IN54NITY (03-26-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:47 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got to attend a track day at RMP. I was quite a bit rusty, and the event was full of incidents, that didn't let me practice enough. Anyhow, I was still able to drop my time from 1:56s to 1:53s, but I know I have a few seconds more to drop (which is quite apparent from the video, where I missed some of the apexes, started accelerating late, braked too much, etc.).

I have to say, car performed very well, and I had good traction; I just need more time at the track, which was made impossible by red/black flags, and the canceled last session due to a flipped car. I attended only in the afternoon, anyway : P

Looking forward to going back again to improve on my time.

Last edited by X25; 04-01-2017 at 03:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by X25:
daleong (04-02-2017), RPOC7R (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Kamran
Pro

Good seeing you out there. Yeah too many knuckle heads out there. I think the new management doesn't quite know how to run a clean day! Guys signing up for whatever level, or guys running when they had not been signed off to run solo. You missed it in the a.m. but a guy in ZR1, quite impatient behind a train, trying to pass on the dirt and later trying to pass multiple cars going into corkscrew! I was about to pull of the track, but it was red flagged anyway! It was a really crazy day.

My only complaint with the car, thanks to EPA, is the torque dip around 3,500-4,000 rpm. I wish GM wasn't so **** about tuning it, to get rid of the dead spot. There are two places I'd like to be in 3rd, but I have to down shift into 2nd for about a second to get rpm up then shift into 3. Otherwise car is dead in 3rd, and quickly goes nowhere. I tuned my FRS so I could stay in 3rd very nicely. I can't believe I've got to downshift into 2nd in the GS!

The tuner for my FRS, Bob (Drift Office) was actually there yesterday trying to organize a Skill Day for his customers. I was very tempted to talk to him about a tune for the GS. I was actually able to set a NA FRS track record with his tune at the Ridge, based on the log kept at FT86 forum. Very tempting, but I know it'd be the kiss of death as far as warranty.

Last edited by Kamran; 04-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Hopefully they'll figure out how to manage these days next time. I'm not sure why they replaced Fred; he's been pretty good except replying to his emails.

What was your lap time with FRS? How did you like your new car at the track? Have you beaten your FRS times yet? : )

I know Bob; I use his dyno for my car. I wanted him to tune my Miata, but he doesn't do Miatas : (
Old 04-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Kamran
Pro

FRS wasn't fast between corners, but I could keep the rpm up, with 7500 redline, and the tune. FRS exit speed and straight line speed is pretty much the same as corner speed! Lol
Previous FRS record was 2.02, and my time was 2.01, consistent laps. I think the record for the FI FRS is only a 2-3 seconds faster. Keep in mind that is for street set up. No race cars. GS is much faster between corners. I'm not checking my lap times with GS yet because car is not ready yet. I'm still running PSS run flats and OEM brake pads.

Last edited by Kamran; 04-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Old 04-01-2017, 07:43 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

was your steering ratio set to track mode? It seems very loose.

I don't get why the C7 isn't tight as ****, especially in track mode. You should never have to go more than 90 degrees.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

FRS wasn't fast between corners, but I could keep the rpm up, with 7500 redline, and the tune. FRS exit speed and straight line speed is pretty much the same as corner speed! Lol
Previous FRS record was 2.02, and my time was 2.01, consistent laps. I think the record for the FI FRS is only a 2-3 seconds faster. Keep in mind that is for street set up. No race cars. GS is much faster between corners. I'm not checking my lap times with GS yet because car is not ready yet. I'm still running PSS run flats and OEM brake pads.
I was wondering, since my friend you saw yesterday with the blue Camaro SS used to have a BRZ, and wanted to compare. I think he did 2:02 bone stock + 235 NT01s, but could not get below 1:57 after he installed supercharger, due to foray of mechanical failures (belt, cracked header, etc.). I love those cars except their engines : )
was your steering ratio set to track mode? It seems very loose.

I don't get why the C7 isn't tight as ****, especially in track mode. You should never have to go more than 90 degrees.
I think it was (but I'll double check vehicle configuration menu next time). That turn before the corkscrew is very sharp, and every car I've ever driven there understeers.

So is our steering variable steering ratio, or just variable boost? It honestly feels more like the latter, but I always assumed they had variable ratio.

Last edited by X25; 04-01-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
I was wondering, since my friend you saw yesterday with the blue Camaro SS used to have a BRZ, and wanted to compare. I think he did 2:02 bone stock + 235 NT01s, but could not get below 1:57 after he installed supercharger, due to foray of mechanical failures (belt, cracked header, etc.). I love those cars except their engines : )
I was tracking mine with a full trunk (spare tire and tools, etc), plus I had a trailer hitch for towing my track bike when I did 2.01. I think if I had shed some weight (including the hitch), I could have shaved 1/2 second, and possibly another second if I had coil overs. But I wasn't trying to set a record, since I was just playing with a friend with a Viper (guy that was pitted next to me), and it just happened, after checking, that I was doing a second better than record as it was. 1.57 is what I've heard for the FI record FRS at the Ridge.

Bob tried to convince me to go the FI route, but I've blown way too many engines to go near one anymore with a ten foot pole.

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 Arctic White track build