C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Besides the LT4 what am I missing with a GS vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Besides the LT4 what am I missing with a GS vs Z06

looking for a M7 vert. I'm leaning towards ordering a GS and throwing an ECS blower, meth and headers on it, vs jumping into a Z06. Most likely looking to avoid the Z07 package as well, I have no need for carbon rotors and disposable tires. While I've done spring mountain and had a gutted out C5 with a 427 C5R setup for road racing, I don't have the time nor energy to dedicate to a track car, so I'm purely looking for extremely aggressive non-track use.

Yes walking into the dealership a base stingray/GS will bore me, a Z won't do much better, my last blower car was 800 at the wheels, the turbo car before that 700. So I need something to keep it exciting.

I'm just wondering is the GS simply a LT1 vs a LT4 with identical suspension, gearing etc. or is there more to the story under there?

Last edited by undertaker; 07-28-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Why order a GS and add all the $$ to it when you can jump into a Z for possibly less $$. Not sure the Z can or would "bore" anybody...Have you driven one yet? If you have a real need for speed, then dont cut corners dude...Get the King of the hill and go from there. That way you have a car already BUILT properly to hand that kind of power and more. Getting to 800 at the wheels in a Z would cost far less then trying to do so with a GS. Just my opinion because you asked. Good luck either way.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I can see a few reason why he wouldn't want the z06 over the GS. He may want more power, which a ecs blower and meth will get him. He doesn't want the aero from the z06. It's a track car not a straight line winner over 130 mph.

However at the end of the day I would ask yourself do you plan to keep the car or sell it one day? If the answer is sell it then just get a z06 or ZL1 as you will have more value when you sell it over a s/c vette you will have to probably part out the s/c and alky kit to sell it anyway.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Isn't there more to the LT4 than the supercharger? I assume the bottom end is built stronger, among other things.

Last edited by djnice; 07-29-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Why order a GS and add all the $$ to it when you can jump into a Z for possibly less $$. Not sure the Z can or would "bore" anybody...Have you driven one yet? If you have a real need for speed, then dont cut corners dude...Get the King of the hill and go from there. That way you have a car already BUILT properly to hand that kind of power and more. Getting to 800 at the wheels in a Z would cost far less then trying to do so with a GS. Just my opinion because you asked. Good luck either way.

From what I've seen in my small amount of research, it seems the tiny little 1700 cfm blower on the Z06 is close to maxed from the factory. As to the Z being more properly built than the GS, thats what I want to know, it seems the same Z07 would be available, although I have no interest in it. But like C6's is the gearing different between a Z51, a GS, a Z06, like it was between a Z51/GS, Z06 and ZR1.

Getting a Z to 800 at the wheels means replacing the blower, unless you want to deal with a heat soaking mess and a one hit wonder. If I"m already in for a blower why waste the extra 10-15k at the dealer on the Z. Headers are equal, meth is equal.

Power not withstanding what makes a Z that much better, than a GS?

Yes a C7Z would probably be fairly exciting, but C6Z's totally put me to sleep, too darn quiet and refined, I never got into the C6's because I prefered the nasty viceral feel of the C5Z's.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Isn't there more to the LT4 than the supercharger? I assume the bottom end is built stronger, among other things.
The LT4 is definitely much more robust than the LT1, because GM knows it has to handle much more power output. Here is some info from GM that details some differences:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...owerhouse.html

Hot Rod Mag's deep dive:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-2...e-z06s-lt4-v8/

And finally, Corvette Magazine's comparison of the two engines:

http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/9...k#.V5zusJMrImp
Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Gretz
The LT4 is definitely much more robust than the LT1, because GM knows it has to handle much more power output. Here is some info from GM that details ".........
just like an LS9 is far more than just an LS3 with a blower thrown on top it it!!

Get notified of new replies

To Besides the LT4 what am I missing with a GS vs Z06

Quick Reply: Besides the LT4 what am I missing with a GS vs Z06