C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z07 brakes vs standard for GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Ok, I'm hijacking the thread, but I think I can get some suggestions.

I retired my 911 racer, and bought a 1016 Z51. I love the car, but find the MPSS tires to be too much a compromise for track.

I just want a predicable set-up that will allow consistent 9/10ths laps. I'm used to Hoosiers on the track.

At this point I'm looking at a second set of track wheels but still have a drive to the track and drive back option.

I think the Michelin Pilot Sport Cut 2 looks like the best tire option for me... I'm not price sensitive... but I do need predictability on track.

I'll need a second set of wheels for these tires. They must fit my stock brakes and fit the MPSC2. Cosmetics/technology not important.

I have until next season... suggestions?
R888s, and have Tirerack cure them for you for another $15. I got 3 track days out of mine before they really fell off which was acceptable. They are still a solid 8.5 out of 10 even after their peak is over.

All the tires get greasy when you abuse them. But the MSC2 is pricey and greasy!

That said, I don't have all the experiences with different track tires that X25 has, although I tracked with MPSS on 2 different cars and they are a great street tire but not up for true tracking. That I can say.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
In my experience, MPSC2 tires have been awful. They take time to warm up, at least 2-3 laps before decent traction, and then you have about 3 laps before they start getting greasy. I've also had similar, inconsistent experience with R888s.

In terms of consistency, the best tire I know is the NT01s. They wear like iron (when compared against its competition), yet provide decent traction even at lap 1, and do not overheat unless you're doing something very wrong with your setup. You can have it in 275 / 305 or 275 / 325 sizes at 18"/19".

Another very good tire is Trofeo R. I went through two sets of it on my Camaro, and they provided very consistent peformance until they corded. They have a much shorter life, though, and I needee decent camber to make most out of it. Hopefully they would need less camber on Corvettes due to different length control arms. Their traction is better than MPDC2 and NT01. You can have them in 295 / 325 size at 18"/19".

If you want to have only one set of wheels, RE71Rs are also great. They are quiet and work great in rain and for street use, yet transform into serious track tire when warm at at the track. They probably have better traction than NT01s, but also much shorter life, despite their 200tw rating (vs. 100 tw of Nittos) during track use.
Thanks, as I just want a drive to the track and drive back option, the NTO1 sounds like a good option. My main objective is predicable breakaway... not max cornering.

I may go to the GM Factory "track" alignment, but I primarily use the car as a street/touring car, so I don't want to screw up drivability.

Also, if you have a suggestion on wheels... Tire Rack has an OZ wheel for about $450, which sounds reasonable.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Koan
I'm in the same situation. I don't want the ceramic brakes, but do want the FE7 suspension. I also want to get 19" wheels all around so I have more choices with tires. What are the specs for 19" and what brands are made in those sizes?
Are people successfully tracking the C7 Z06 yet? I see a new cooling package from LG Motorsports.

Thanks,

soon to be newbie
Originally Posted by Jakeman11
Consider this - Spring Mountain Corvette Racing School uses Z51 Vettes and they have the Z51 stock breaks on those cars. You may consider calling them and see what they say about breaks and their experience.
There are plenty of people successfully tracking the C7Z. The overheating problems are not as bad as the publicity makes them out to be.

As for SM they also have ceramic brake Z06s for the Z06 owners to drive. They hold up just fine. The only complaint I have about the CCM brakes is the replacement cost and the fact for that cost they didn't last 20 to 25 track days Vs the 13 I got. One thing I think that reduced the rotor life is I tried one set of Carbotech XP10s which seemed to accelerate the rotor wear. Pads not specifically designed for CCM rotors may be best avoided. The XP10s performed about the same as the stock pads and the cost was $100 less but increased wear of the rotors may have cost me a lot more than the $100 I saved.

Bill
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Thanks, as I just want a drive to the track and drive back option, the NTO1 sounds like a good option. My main objective is predicable breakaway... not max cornering.

I may go to the GM Factory "track" alignment, but I primarily use the car as a street/touring car, so I don't want to screw up drivability.

Also, if you have a suggestion on wheels... Tire Rack has an OZ wheel for about $450, which sounds reasonable.
The GM track alignment doesn't seem to hurt street driveability but wear may be increased. When I ran the Cup 2 tires I found they performed as well as the A6s I had on my CCW wheels. However, they had a wear pattern that caused a section of the tread to delaminate which basically peeled the rubber down to the cores in that section. The rest of the tire was fine except for this 2 inch section just off center on the rear tires.

If you have the CCM brakes and choose to go with CCWs you will need to run a spacer between the CCM rotor and the wheel since the wheel doesn't fit inside the depressed area in the center of the front CCM rotor. The iron brake cars don't have this issue as the rotor mating surface is flat.

Bill
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I just pulled my from pads on my 2016 Z07 and they are absolutely shot! I have one day of mild autocross, one HPDE day at Road Atlanta, one full USCA event (Autocross/Speed Stop/Road Course), and another single day of HPDE at Road Atlanta.

I think I am going to upgrade to Pagid RSC-2 pads for better initial bite which should be easy on the rotors, per Pagid.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:18 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There are plenty of people successfully tracking the C7Z. The overheating problems are not as bad as the publicity makes them out to be.

As for SM they also have ceramic brake Z06s for the Z06 owners to drive. They hold up just fine. The only complaint I have about the CCM brakes is the replacement cost and the fact for that cost they didn't last 20 to 25 track days Vs the 13 I got. One thing I think that reduced the rotor life is I tried one set of Carbotech XP10s which seemed to accelerate the rotor wear. Pads not specifically designed for CCM rotors may be best avoided. The XP10s performed about the same as the stock pads and the cost was $100 less but increased wear of the rotors may have cost me a lot more than the $100 I saved.

Bill
Just traded my C7 Z51 for a Z06/Z07. Assuming I decide to keep the ceramic rotors, is there a cost effective 18 inch front wheel that will clear, or am I looking at needing to special order a set for track use? I'd like to continue running race scrubs for the long term cost effectiveness, so I need to decide while I am in the break in period.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by NT4HIM
Just traded my C7 Z51 for a Z06/Z07. Assuming I decide to keep the ceramic rotors, is there a cost effective 18 inch front wheel that will clear, or am I looking at needing to special order a set for track use? I'd like to continue running race scrubs for the long term cost effectiveness, so I need to decide while I am in the break in period.
CCW said the 18"x10.5" wheels they made for me would clear the CCM brakes. If I had a Z06, I'd definitely opt for 18"x11", or even wider, though. I think you'd indeed need to get a custom wheel.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was hoping there might be another (cheaper) option, but I'm afraid you are right. Did it take long to get yours? I'm in the break-in period, so I have a few weeks before I can go back to the track anyway.

Also, do you happen to have any more information on the narrow annulus rings?
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NT4HIM
I was hoping there might be another (cheaper) option, but I'm afraid you are right. Did it take long to get yours? I'm in the break-in period, so I have a few weeks before I can go back to the track anyway.

Also, do you happen to have any more information on the narrow annulus rings?
Thanks!
Girodisc makes them:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...zo7-ccm-s.html

Regarding wheels, it didn't take too long. I think it was 2-3 weeks.
The following users liked this post:
NT4HIM (09-01-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 PM
DMAX86
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ceramics.... No question about it
Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Is the only difference between the Grand Sport brakes and the Grand Sport Z07 brakes in the rotors? In other words are the calipers the same in either configuration?
Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Calipers and pads are different as well. The rotors are larger, so the calipers must have a different offset to reach around the larger rotors. Also, CC pads are different than steel pads.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:53 AM
copjsd
Pro

Originally Posted by Koan
Calipers and pads are different as well. The rotors are larger, so the calipers must have a different offset to reach around the larger rotors. Also, CC pads are different than steel pads.
Thank you for your reply! So I'm still curious if the Grand Sport calipers are of the same track-worthy design as are the Grand Sport Z07 calipers., e.g. the Grand Sport Z07 calipers have ventilated pistons and no external dust seals to be crystalized by the searing heat...do the Grand Sport calipers?

Last edited by copjsd; 02-10-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by copjsd
Thank you for your reply! So I'm still curious if the Grand Sport calipers are of the same track-worthy design as are the Grand Sport Z07 calipers., e.g. the Grand Sport Z07 calipers have ventilated pistons and no external dust seals to be crystalized by the searing heat...do the Grand Sport calipers?
Regular Grand Sport calipers are identical to the regular Z06 calipers (which I also installed on my Z51). They do have ventilated pistons, etc., but they are smaller than the Z07 calipers since the rotor size is 14.6" with the steel rotors.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM
copjsd
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
Regular Grand Sport calipers are identical to the regular Z06 calipers (which I also installed on my Z51). They do have ventilated pistons, etc., but they are smaller than the Z07 calipers since the rotor size is 14.6" with the steel rotors.
Thank you for clearing that up!!!

Quick Reply: Z07 brakes vs standard for GS