C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door wont open after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Driver door wont open after dead battery

Car has been on blocks for about 3 weeks while I did a meth/A&A Supercharger install. I was so worried about failures from that install yet low and behold its my drivers door. I had to remove the front fuse box to install new plugs but it went back in with no issue. I also disconnected the negative terminal when I realized the rear pass marker was staying on for ome bizarre reason. Needless to say with a fully charged battery everything is perfect but door wont open?? I have a brand new Diehard battery I bought but was going to return because my battery showed 100% full. Any ideas or fuses? I checked 1 and 2 in the rear box.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Also note I can hear the latch "act" like it is releasing and the window will valet down alittle for a second and then go back up.

No seat belt is stuck
Old 08-21-2016, 08:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

No idea what the problem is or why it happened.

It sounds like it "wants" to work if the window is indexing and it sounds like something is clicking in the door.

I'd open the door with the mechanical release and close it a couple times just to exercise the latch, and then try the normal door release again to see if that cycled the latch and got it working properly.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

payed that you were right BE but this damn car will not allow the driver door to open. Everything seems normal and can manually open the door from the interior but the electronic buttons will NOT work. Is it completely coincidental that after a meth and SC install this happened I don't know but none the less it is frustrating. Its under warranty so I can have the dealer look at it but this sucks. I don't even see any fuses dedicated to the door. Hit the lock/unlock button and it will light up. Press the exterior button enough and it will inch the wind all the way down. PLEASE HELP !!! So excited to take my newly blown car to get tuned and cant open the door.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

So you cannot open the hatch with the key above the license plate, then open the door with the manual pull? Then try indexing your windows and make sure you battery is fully charged.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Hawk03
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery again. I had the same problem, I had the battery cable removed and the drivers side door closed on me. Had to open the latch manually to reconnect the battery and when I did, the doors would not open, even though it sounded like they would unlatch and the window would index. Had to manually open the door threw the trunk. Removed battery cable again untill I finished what I was doing. Reconnected the battery and everything worked normal again.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
payed that you were right BE but this damn car will not allow the driver door to open. Everything seems normal and can manually open the door from the interior but the electronic buttons will NOT work. Is it completely coincidental that after a meth and SC install this happened I don't know but none the less it is frustrating. Its under warranty so I can have the dealer look at it but this sucks. I don't even see any fuses dedicated to the door. Hit the lock/unlock button and it will light up. Press the exterior button enough and it will inch the wind all the way down. PLEASE HELP !!! So excited to take my newly blown car to get tuned and cant open the door.
When you say you can open the door from the inside do you mean using the button on the door panel or do you mean using the mechanical emergency door pull on the floor? It makes a difference knowing which one you used. There are several parts involved in opening the door. The outside switch pads, the inside switch button, the door module inside the door and the latch module in the B pillar and all of the wiring involved. Along with that you have two mechanical ways to open the door. The inside emergency lever on the floor and the inside emergency pull in the rear hatch area. Since the car is under warranty I would take it to the dealer and let them figure out where the problem is. A lot of times they will see an error code (not visible on an OBD reader) and know what is wrong from the moment they connect with the car.

Bill
Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Thank you everyone for the feedback. So here is the long and short lol. While doing blower/meth install battery dies. I charge it and driver door wont open by exterior or interior button. I can use the manual pull on the floor with no issues. I first thought it might be because the front was jacked up and maybe alittle flexed so I put it on the ground with no results. I also went and bought a new battery thinking maybe mine was faulty as the starter always seemed to drag alittle so I installed the Diehard and still nothing. Window will index no problem and I can hear the latching mechanism engage but door simply will not open by the buttons. It will likely go to the dealer after the tune but I am prepared to hear "you modified the electrical system" or "you put a carbon fiber kit on the car" your warranty is gone.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:53 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

It was said above buddy unhook the batt again and let it stay unhooked for a 30 min plus. Hook it back up and see what happens. My drivers doors did the same thing plus my conv top really went crazy.

I let it set unhooked for a few hours, hooked it back up and both worked like it should....
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

So disappointed. I let it sit for about an hour and reconnected it. Still everything but drivers door. Damn it. I just disconnected it and will hook it back up tomorrow
Old 09-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

So disappointed. I let it sit for about an hour and reconnected it. Still everything but drivers door. Damn it. I just disconnected it and will hook it back up tomorrow
so what was it?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
so what was it?
Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Gentlemen it is still an outstanding issue. My car has been down for almost 2 months getting worked on. I am going to get tuned in the next few days and then it is off to the dealer. I do have one last trick up my sleeve though. I have beat myself up over this. I cant believe the door just stopped working. Needless to say when installing the Alky kit I was under the dash tucking in wires, zip tying control boxes, etc... I am wondering if maybe just maybe I disconnected something under there or disrupted something. Tonight I am going to go back under the dash and see if I can find anything. I am hoping it is something stupid. We have an awesome dealer in Abel Chevrolet near me. The Service Manager is a die hard Corvette guy and a forum vendor/sponsor. He told me to bring it on down.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Gentlemen it is still an outstanding issue. My car has been down for almost 2 months getting worked on. I am going to get tuned in the next few days and then it is off to the dealer. I do have one last trick up my sleeve though. I have beat myself up over this. I cant believe the door just stopped working. Needless to say when installing the Alky kit I was under the dash tucking in wires, zip tying control boxes, etc... I am wondering if maybe just maybe I disconnected something under there or disrupted something. Tonight I am going to go back under the dash and see if I can find anything. I am hoping it is something stupid. We have an awesome dealer in Abel Chevrolet near me. The Service Manager is a die hard Corvette guy and a forum vendor/sponsor. He told me to bring it on down.
I know on my car the OBD II port would not work at all but 2 diff chev dealers close to me said it was good. So I had to drive the car over 90 miles to a chev dealer that does a lot of vette work and sells a number of them.

They told me a wire was not in one of the hook up's good making it not work. So this may be what happen to you on your car. I got it back took them about 1 hour to do the fix got it back then I could run the trinity-1000 tune on the car.. Robert
Old 09-14-2016, 01:46 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Robert I am hoping that's the case. My only concern is the fact everything else works perfectly on the door so maybe it is one pinout. If I come up with a solution I will be sure to post up

Get notified of new replies

To Driver door wont open after dead battery

Quick Reply: Driver door wont open after dead battery