C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 Suspension kit, which replacement shocks to use

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:05 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default T1 Suspension kit, which replacement shocks to use

The problem:
This kit comes with shocks with following part numbers: Front 22873513 Rear 22873509. Both of these parts are marked as discontinued(!) When you check with dealers, they tell you that 23202880 and 23202881 are replacement parts. However these parts also happen to be the part numbers currently shown by parts catalog for Z51 FE3. So in other words, are we supposed go back to stock FE3 shocks when they wear out??? Even though it's supposed to be discontinued, when you buy the $2880 T1 kit, it comes with those specific shocks.

Contacting Chevy Performance Parts:
This doesn't make sense at all, and I contacted Chevrolet Performance Parts 1-800-450-4150. I literally got no help at all, and for a very long time, they did not even understand what I am talking about (and even asked my VIN to 'figure out' what I need). In the end, the second person I was talking to has connected me back to a GM customer service rep, who prompted me to 'talk to the dealer', despite mentioning that I already did.

Checking with (a forum sponsor) dealer:
Anyway, I contacted TrunkMonkeyParts, and asked what I should do, asking that they should not just tell me to buy those new part numbers, which are also the ones listed on parts catalog for FE3 Z51.

Interestingly, they told me that the recent T1 kits also started shipping with those new part numbers! Now I am wondering if those shocks are any different than the shocks that came stock with my '16 Z51. Yes, the part numbers of the shocks that came with my car are completely different: 23313991 (more expensive than the new one), and 23313992 (not found online).

Verdict:
I am disappointed; that is all : )
Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

GM has a long history of rolling part numbers. Part numbers roll for a lot of reasons (design change from simple to major, parts change due to a part going obsolete or because a subcontractor can't procure all of the original parts that make up the final part, etc). Usually the ideal is to minimize change and part number roll just to make it easier to manage a complex product that has a lot of part numbers in it. GM seems to revel in it though. A lot of times discontinued just means the part number has been superseded.

Bill
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
GM has a long history of rolling part numbers. Part numbers roll for a lot of reasons (design change from simple to major, parts change due to a part going obsolete or because a subcontractor can't procure all of the original parts that make up the final part, etc). Usually the ideal is to minimize change and part number roll just to make it easier to manage a complex product that has a lot of part numbers in it. GM seems to revel in it though. A lot of times discontinued just means the part number has been superseded.

Bill
The main issue here is that the new part number for T1 is also the new part number for regular Z51, and T1 is supposed to be less compromised than shocks of a mainstream Z51, which is shocking.
The following users liked this post:
LT5Vette (08-25-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:29 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up losing my trust in GM regarding this, and ordered a set of LG's G2 coilovers. How GM decided standard shocks should be fine for a race kit is beyond me.

I'm definitely keeping the lower control arms with the better bushings, though. I'll keep sway bars, too, and see how they fare with my new setup.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 AM
C7fasttoy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest to consider this as a question to Tadge on next opportunity.

Get notified of new replies

To T1 Suspension kit, which replacement shocks to use

Quick Reply: T1 Suspension kit, which replacement shocks to use