C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwout bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Pete43
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Throwout bearing noise

I have a 2014 Z51 M7 with 18k miles on it. I bought it new in 2013. I changed the differential oil a week ago. When I was backing the car out of the garage, I pressed the clutch and it made a bad grinding noise and the shifter vibrated bad. It did this every time i pressed in on the clutch for about 7-8 times as I was driving it. Each time it got less noisy. It seems ok now.
What could this be caused by? Sounded like the throwout bearing was off center on the pressure plate spring fingers? Doesn't the driveshaft go through the throwout bearing into the pilot bearing in the crankshaft? It seems like jacking on the jack puck under the front of the door might have twisted something? I jacked each side till I could put a couple of 2x12's under the tires to fill the diff. (The diff oil was nasty)
And would this be covered under the drivetrain part of the warranty? The first 3 years of the warranty will be out in Oct.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I would take it to the dealer and at least get it documented before the warranty expires.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The propeller shaft goes through the throwout bearing and the tip of it rides in the pilot bearing.

No way you "twisted" anything through a jacking puck
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Pete43
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Throwout bearing noise

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought the aluminum frame could handle being jacked up without twisting something but I thought I would get some opinions on it. I hate taking it to a dealer, but I guess I'll have to...

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Throwout bearing noise

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing noise