C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution for brake bleeder fluid seepage during track use

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:29 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,515 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Solution for brake bleeder fluid seepage during track use

Some Corvette owners have found an issue with brake fluid seepage from the brake bleeders after track events. The following is a response from one of my contacts within Corvette quality control regarding this condition:

We have some of our Corvette owners who track their vehicle and they have brake fluid seeping from the brake bleeders after a track event. There is a simple answer for this condition. When the brake fluid is changed to DOT4, there is left over brake fluid in the brake bleeder. Once the brakes heat up, the brake fluid left in the bleeder boils and seeps out from under the rubber cap. To correct this condition, the remaining brake fluid should be flushed out by using brake clean and air pressure. Once the bleeder is clear of brake fluid, they can reinstall the bleeder.
I presume you are also following the recommended track use directions found in the owner's manual, but am posting them as a reminder for those tracking their cars.

Brake Fluid

Replace existing brake fluid with a qualified high performance brake fluid from a sealed container. Brake fluid with a dry boiling point >279 °C (534 °F) is qualified. If high performance brake fluid is used, replace it with GM approved brake fluid before driving on public roads. If high performance brake fluid is in the vehicle and the age of the brake fluid is over a month old or unknown, replace the brake fluid before track events and competitive driving. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:34 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I like how they want you to change back to GM fluid. Always trying to get us!

I had some brake fluid seepage. And it would happen every session. No bleeding in between sessions. I have since changed those calipers myself since the dealer would not replace the caliper.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:06 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I thought this is common knowledge : ) It happens on every car.

Anyhow, if you don't have air, you can use a water sprayer and use it to flush the brake fluid out of the bleeders; this is what I used to do before I got a compressor. It will still boil at the track, but what bleeds down will be diluted and will not damage the caliper paint.

Last edited by X25; 08-31-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

For those of you having issues with brake fluid 'seeping' from the bleed adapters at a road course, and I'm not just talking about the 1-2 ml that would remain in the bleeder after a flush, please see my response in this thread, post #17:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ad-course.html
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Interesting.

If there is some residual fluid in the "tunnel" of the brake bleeder nibble, then a little water and drying them out may suffice. Perhaps that is the issue.

IMO If not, then the only place it could be seeping would be along/ through the treads of the brake bleeder nipple. Baring that the brake line rubber/ steel/ crimps are A-O-K.

I believe I had read some have applied plumbers tape to the threads before tightening.
Else, over tightening which may have deformed the caliper or nipple seat could be the issue. Blue print or replace seems the option there.

I guess the last area to suspect would be the seals at the caliber pistons. Baring the caliper is sold.

Interesting good luck resolving.

Let us know.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
I like how they want you to change back to GM fluid. Always trying to get us!
Doesn't say that you have to use GM Fluid it says GM approved fluid which is any of the standard DOT 3 fluids you find on the auto parts store shelves. They say that because not all Race Fluids are DOT rated and if they didn't say that some knucklehead who had different brake fluid in his car and was in an accident on the road would then try to sue them because they didn't tell him to change back to DOT rated fluid.

Bill
Old 08-31-2016, 11:26 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,515 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Here's some additional feedback that I received today...

Re-torquing the caliper bleeders when the caliper is hot can damaged the caliper. It is also possible to damaged the threads and seat for the caliper’s bleeder. Torquing the bleeders should only be done when the caliper is at room temperature. The torque values are listed in the service manual that dealership service departments use.

In my experience, the bleeder seepage is usually due to a small amount of fluid remaining in the bleeder column after it’s tightened. It gets hot, expands, and weeps out of the top of the bleeder. Flushing with a small amount of water or a mild brake cleaner helps. Brake cleaners cannot come into contact with the carbon-ceramic discs from the Z07.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

When my z51 calipers leaked. Dealership replaced one when I had clear evidence on both. I added a small portion of thread tape on each bleeder and never had an issue beyond that. I just added z06 brakes and did the same for preventive measures.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:25 AM
wggs18
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I spray a little bit of water on the bleeder valve after bleeding! Always does the trick!!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I feel bad for Bish and he's the guy with the real issue here. This would be utterly frustrating. Easily solved if he had the iron brakes and just move on to an AP Racing setup. But having invested in the CCMs, I'd be pretty darn frustrated with GM. Coating your whole caliper and wheel in brake fluid is not the same as 1ml of fluid boiling out the top of the bleeder nipples. Anyone who has tracked their car and maintained their own brakes knows that instantly.

Last edited by spearfish25; 09-05-2016 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Solution for brake bleeder fluid seepage during track use

Quick Reply: Solution for brake bleeder fluid seepage during track use