C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by stephen1254
Justin - Not to jump the gun here, but I notice you currently offer a number of rear end gear sets for earlier vintage Corvettes. Do you distribute gear sets to installation shops around the country? Just trying to figure out where I'm going to need to travel to to get an installation done when C7 gears are available - I'm in SW Florida.
Where you at in SWFL?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Where you at in SWFL?
Venice
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by stephen1254
Venice
Cool. Im down by Fort Myers.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 AM
!00%DISVET
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ZIP.

PM me or if you need a test Car let me know I have a twin turbo set up!!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by !00%DISVET
ZIP.

PM me or if you need a test Car let me know I have a twin turbo set up!!!!
That would be awesome. I don't need it right now but if we do I let you know. Can you send over your contact info.
The following users liked this post:
!00%DISVET (12-27-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave01GT
Anything in the works for spider gears? I've been through 3 differentials due to the spiders crumbling.

Cryo treating will not eliminate the problem.

The problem has a fix, and that is a Wavetrac differential. Wavetrac is working on a design that will eliminate the problem.

Last edited by Pumba; 12-06-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Not to fuel the flames, but look what I have.

This would be the 4.10 variety and a 3.90 sitting next to it. We should have it in a car testing maybe late next week. Will keep you all posted. I know everyone has been patient, we have been working on this for over 3 years. It will be sooner rather than later and the C6ZO6 will be following up.
Justin
Zip Products

Justin,

1) Who is manufacturing the gears?

2) Where are they made?

3) What is the gear material?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by Pumba
Cryo treating will not eliminate the problem.

The problem has a fix, and that is a Wavetrac differential. Wavetrac is working on a design that will eliminate the problem.

Yes, they have been inventing that for the last decade, do they have a release date yet?

So with that being said, yes cryo works very well, we have had diffs in allot of race cars with posi units in them and I have NEVER had one wipe a set of spider gears. For those that want to move up, we have the Quaife diff as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Zip Corvettes

Justin,

1) Who is manufacturing the gears?

2) Where are they made?

3) What is the gear material?

Thanks.

OE Manufacturer
Old 12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Dave01GT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, they have been inventing that for the last decade, do they have a release date yet?

So with that being said, yes cryo works very well, we have had diffs in allot of race cars with posi units in them and I have NEVER had one wipe a set of spider gears. For those that want to move up, we have the Quaife diff as well.
Quaife diff that will fit a c7?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Quaife differential that will fit a C7?

Dave,

I was at the PRI Show in Indianapolis this past Thursday and Friday.

I stopped at the QUAIFE booth and talked to Michael Quaife about their progress on designing and building a Quaife differential for a C7 Corvette. He stated to me that they have not been able to do any work yet, because there are no C7 Corvettes that they can disassemble to measure.

So, a Quaife differential for a C7 is quite a while away.

Last edited by Pumba; 01-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Dave01GT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave,

I was at the PRI Show in Indianapolis this past Thursday and Friday.

I stopped at the QUAIFE booth and talked to Michael Quaife about their progress on designing and building a Quaife differential for a C7 Corvette. He stated to me that they have not been able to do any work yet, because their are no C7 Corvettes that they can disassemble to measure.

So, a Quaife differential for a C7 is quite a while away.

That sucks. RPM/wavetrac is supposed to have something out this month is what I was told in the summer.. I have 2 spare differentials that they could use lol.. It's really not that hard to find them.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Anything in the works for spider gears? I've been through 3 differentials due to the spiders crumbling.

Dave,

The following are some pictures of a C7 differential where the spider gears have failed:

This is the differential assembly with the side cover removed

This photo shows the differential, with the axle shafts

The three pictures above show the broken spider gears and the damage they do to the differential housing.

The above two pictures show the pieces of the broken spider gears and the pieces of a broken gear versus a new gear.

Cryogenically treating the C7 spider gears is not going to eliminate this failure for in high horsepower cars.

Last edited by Pumba; 12-12-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Zip Corvettes

Dave,

The following are some pictures of a C7 differential where the spider gears have failed:

This is the differential assembly with the side cover removed

This photo shows the differential, with the axle shafts

The three pictures above show the broken spider gears and the damage they do to the differential housing.

The above two pictures show the pieces of the broken spider gears and the pieces of a broken gear versus a new gear.

Cryogenically treating the C7 spider gears is not going to eliminate this failure for in high horsepower cars.
Pumba,
Not trying to get into to a contest with you here, but we build ALLOT of Getrag diffs. So when you say High HP what are you talking about? I have not seen a C7 with a failure yet on the spider gears, I have seen a R&P fail in one. The C7 does have a different vendor then the C5/C6 had it could very easily be a hardness issue that could be related to a batch of gears. Just like it was in the early production of C6 ZO6 axles. If the gear is to spec, then they should be fine depending on how much power you are talking about, but at that point the entire diff would be in question. Don't think for one second that you can't break one of the little spider gears inside a Quaife or Wavetrac or what ever flavor of part you are wanting to use. We just sent 1300+ Hp through a C6 ZO6 diff and it so far is living just fine. You couple the right HP and the right tires and you have allot more to worry about then spider gears. That picture looks like the inside of the hydraulic diff, so does Wavetrac even make the new carrier for the hydraulic unit?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have not seen a C7 with a failure yet on the spider gears. - As DAVE01GT stated in his post, he has had three C7 differentials fail because of spider gear loss of integrity. Perhaps he will tell us how much power he is applying to the differential, and what tires he is using.

The C7 does have a different vendor then the C5/C6 had. - You are correct, the C7 has a different vendor for their differential. Linamar, a Canadian company, has replaced GETRAG.

That picture looks like the inside of the hydraulic diff, so does Wavetrac even make the new carrier for the hydraulic unit? - Some of the C7 Corvettes have an Electronically controlled differential. This unit was the standard differential. You can tell the difference by the longer of the two axle shafts. See the picture below. The long axle shaft with the extra, larger spline is from the electronically controlled diff. The other shaft is from the standard diff. The short axle in the picture is common to both units:

Any other questions?

Last edited by Pumba; 12-12-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Zip Corvettes

Any other questions?
Pumba,
Not really asking you any questions. I asked about that one because in the picture of the side axle gear I couldn't tell which one it had. Wavetrac called me today to give me updates on their part numbers and said they had a C7 application but didn't know which one. I am going to assume it will be the standard. I have had a C7 Diff apart but the ELECTRONIC Controlled and the Standard since mid/late 2013. Like I said earlier, I have not seen in any and I don't really count what you see on the internet most of the time. It very well could be a hardness issue just like the early ZO6 had. I ran our C7 really hard right out of the gate and it has had no issues what so ever. I know of a very early failure on a C7 but it was due to an extreme situation and it was not the spider gears that failed. The only reason I posted to your reply is because you commented on one of my posts about cryo not working. Your in Michigan, ask Mr. Buttermore how his differential has done for him.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:12 PM
08pacecar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So will there be a date when we can put 4.10 in are c7. I would love to put gears in .

Get notified of new replies

To C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears

Old 12-20-2016, 10:13 AM
kdejac
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible to just swap the C7 M7 rear gears with the A6/8 rear end gears?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by 08pacecar
So will there be a date when we can put 4.10 in are c7. I would love to put gears in .
Not a date but as soon as we can, we are working on it.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by kdejac
Is it possible to just swap the C7 M7 rear gears with the A6/8 rear end gears?
Nope. you could the entire diff but not just the gears.

Quick Reply: C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears