C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Transmission Defect

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 AM
ESR58
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Transmission Defect

Hi All,

After a few weeks of hearing a whining sound when I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd, I brought my C7 into the local dealership for an in-warranty (thank god) tranny inspection. They determined that something was wrong and went back to GM who wanted to dissect the tranny as opposed to replace it. It took them 6 weeks to get the 'tools' to disassemble the transmission and determined that there were some defective pieces and fused pieces. Now GM is trying to determine if they are going to fix it (dealership claims damage to be in excess of 6k) or replace the tranny. This ordeal is now going on 2 months.

My question is - am i the first/only C7 worldwide to have this issue? A defective 7 speed manual transmission?

GM makes it sound like this has never happened with a C7 tranny, hence their insistence on dissecting and dissembling. I don't want to be the guinea pig and want the new tranny! Frankly, I am blown away by the fact that it took 6 weeks to get tools - as if they did not exist and had to be fabricated.....

Now my C7 sits in the dealership. Weeks to fix it? Weeks to order and install a new tranny? Do I even want it fixed - in fear of another defective part occurring "after" I am out of warranty?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Can you better define whining sound? What's your mileage and what was the production date of yours?

Mine is 3/14 production, 13k miles.

Been driving clutch for 30+ years, 2nd vette, so it's not like I don't know how...

Asking b/c I can't always reproduce it on demand, but I too sometimes get an odd noise on downshift. Seems like I have to be in the 2500-3k rpm range, and have heard it on any downshift except 2-1

the noise I get isn't metallic, isn't a rattle, isn't a squeal or squawk...its....unique...short duration. If it was a higher pitch or frequency, might might be in the "buzz" category? Or perhaps a lower pitch variation of the noise you get if you lock the brakes, just before abs releases them again

Last edited by aj98; 09-17-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 PM
ESR58
Cruising

GM has determined that my transmission was defective and the downshifting whining noise is pretty consistent to replicate. Local dealership was able to detect it before we went on this 'journey'
....Vehicle only has 12k miles on it.

If your still under warranty - you may want to get it looked at.

Last edited by ESR58; 09-17-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:22 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Mileage is similar....It just started a couple weeks ago; lack of consistent reproducibility is the problem - it does it for drive session, but on restart, all sounds normal again.
Couple days later, did it again, but now I can't get it to repeat.

Taking it in for the roof squeak TSB later this week, intend to ask them about that as well.

Still have about 8 months on factory warranty, then extended after that, so should be ok in that regard.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ESR58
Hi All,

After a few weeks of hearing a whining sound when I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd, I brought my C7 into the local dealership for an in-warranty (thank god) tranny inspection. They determined that something was wrong and went back to GM who wanted to dissect the tranny as opposed to replace it. It took them 6 weeks to get the 'tools' to disassemble the transmission and determined that there were some defective pieces and fused pieces. Now GM is trying to determine if they are going to fix it (dealership claims damage to be in excess of 6k) or replace the tranny. This ordeal is now going on 2 months.

My question is - am i the first/only C7 worldwide to have this issue? A defective 7 speed manual transmission?

GM makes it sound like this has never happened with a C7 tranny, hence their insistence on dissecting and dissembling. I don't want to be the guinea pig and want the new tranny! Frankly, I am blown away by the fact that it took 6 weeks to get tools - as if they did not exist and had to be fabricated.....

Now my C7 sits in the dealership. Weeks to fix it? Weeks to order and install a new tranny? Do I even want it fixed - in fear of another defective part occurring "after" I am out of warranty?

It took GM 7 weeks and lemon law threats to get my A8 replaced. GM really drags things out.

Last edited by red 1; 09-17-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

So I made the appointment...

When I told them about the noise and included a copy of this thread, they looked at me like I had a 3rd arm growing out of my forehead.

will update as needed...
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 AM
ESR58
Cruising

I did not get satisfaction from Chevy until I contacted the GM executive offices and got leadership visibility. From that point forward, they directed and tracked the activities to a satisfactory conclusion.

Post Mortem: I got the new Transmission (overnighted to dealership), its installed and I am picking it up today. Lost most of the summer but fingers crossed that this issue and the other smaller issues (replaced dashboard, roof grommets) are the end of my problems. Frankly disappointed with all of the issues for a 70k+ car. Do I really want to spend 100k+ for a Z06?????

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Transmission Defect

Quick Reply: 2014 Transmission Defect