C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 3rd-no go

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:25 AM
trakmnky
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd to 3rd-no go

Anyone else have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd under full throttle?

Under normal driving conditions it shifts fine.

Car is 2014 C7 with 7spd manual, Z51 and E-Force.

Have owned many many manual trans cars and Chevy really blew it with this one. They should have stayed with a 6spd or even a 5. That extra gate is just a PITA.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:21 AM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by trakmnky
Anyone else have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd under full throttle?

Under normal driving conditions it shifts fine.

Car is 2014 C7 with 7spd manual, Z51 and E-Force.

Have owned many many manual trans cars and Chevy really blew it with this one. They should have stayed with a 6spd or even a 5. That extra gate is just a PITA.
Same problem here. Plenty of discussion around the board on this too.

D
Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Lots of people miss 3rd under full throttle. I was having big issues with it at the track myself. I upgraded to the MGW shifter and it was 100% worth it. Haven't missed 3rd since.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

I can hit it fine IF I LIFT. If I use the "no lift shift", which works fine for every other shift, I miss third almost every time. It doesn't go in first, third, or fifth, it's just not in any gear.

I'm really considering a MGW shifter.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 PM
trakmnky
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the mgw is in my future.

Will try a little more searching on this as well. Didn't turn up much the first time though. Must have been using the wrong key words.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 PM
bigdaddyj25
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the mgw is in my future.

Will try a little more searching on this as well. Didn't turn up much the first time though. Must have been using the wrong key words.
Spot on Blue Bomber........... I was having the same issues but switched to MGW short throw and I rarely miss it now it ever.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:53 PM
trakmnky
Intermediate

Default Shift ****

Originally Posted by bigdaddyj25
Spot on Blue Bomber........... I was having the same issues but switched to MGW short throw and I rarely miss it now it ever.

What is everyone using for a shift ****? The MGW **** looks really functional but a little cheap as well.

Looking for something shaped like the race **** but in aluminum, carbon or leather. Most of what I'm finding is just the round plastic ball. Can't believe MGW doesn't offer or partner with someone that offers a larger selection.

Have spoken to two friends running the MGW in their mustangs and highly recommend as well.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

What is everyone using for a shift ****? The MGW **** looks really functional but a little cheap as well.

Looking for something shaped like the race **** but in aluminum, carbon or leather. Most of what I'm finding is just the round plastic ball. Can't believe MGW doesn't offer or partner with someone that offers a larger selection.

Have spoken to two friends running the MGW in their mustangs and highly recommend as well.
On my initial MGW install I used the stock shift **** and it was fine. I have since switched to the MGW race **** and like it. It has a shorter throw if you want, or you can adjust it up to make it a little higher. I like it because it has a little more grip and my hand doesn't slide off when banging through the gears when your hands get sweaty. That said, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the upgrade to this **** and would drive a car with one if possible to see how it feels in your hand before buying.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I didn't like the look of the MGW *****, so I opted to use the stock ****. Looks much better IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd to 3rd-no go

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd-no go