C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stingray torn apart

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:41 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My Stingray torn apart(photo included)

So this is what replacing a torque converter looks like.

Last edited by david.a8.z51; 09-24-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Ouch.... hope she gets all put back together and no more problems!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:40 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Ouch. Makes me glad I got an M7, but I suppose it will look similar to this when it is time to do the clutch... hopefully years away. Good luck. But with the number of A8 and torque converter replacements I bet they have the routine down pretty good by now, so you should be fine.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by david.a8.z51
so this is what replacing a torque converter looks like.

I feel your pain brother! Ours went through the same surgical procedure..

Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Is there potential scratches on the black rims and yellow painted calipers?

Yes, looks like it is a big project for this repair.

Good luck with the repair.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 09-24-2016 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-01-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 02:57 PM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Luckily for me, my technician is a life long friend and married into my family. People who know him call him Mr. Goodwrench. He's really good and careful. I've been allowed to witness much of the process. All is back together now and awaiting some more test driving on Monday. Very promising so far.

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Is there potential scratches on the black rims and yellow painted calipers?

Yes, looks like it is a big project for this repair.

Good luck with the repair.
No.

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
Ouch.... hope she gets all put back together and no more problems!
thank you!

Originally Posted by officermartinez
I feel your pain brother! Ours went through the same surgical procedure..

Painful!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-24-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM
blynch67
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy Crap!
GM is paying for all of these repairs now, but they're eventually going to pass these costs on to the next model years to recover those excessive warranty claims.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 PM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by blynch67
Holy Crap!
GM is paying for all of these repairs now, but they're eventually going to pass these costs on to the next model years to recover those excessive warranty claims.
They have to get it back somewhere. No doubt.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:59 AM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Oh I remember!

I feel your pain, had mine done a few months ago, my pics are in this forum somewhere. My repair differed in that they replaced the stator components inside the torque convertor, but same effort.

I sincerely hope it works for you - it didn't solve the problem for me. It felt great for a few thousand miles and then the issue resurfaced, along with a few more symptoms that weren't there to begin with.

SO when you get it back drive it, drive it, drive it. Like I said, I hope it works for you. Please let us know here, there are a lot of A8 owners very interested.
Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 AM
yonks8365
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jrizzuto
I feel your pain, had mine done a few months ago, my pics are in this forum somewhere. My repair differed in that they replaced the stator components inside the torque convertor, but same effort.

I sincerely hope it works for you - it didn't solve the problem for me. It felt great for a few thousand miles and then the issue resurfaced, along with a few more symptoms that weren't there to begin with.

SO when you get it back drive it, drive it, drive it. Like I said, I hope it works for you. Please let us know here, there are a lot of A8 owners very interested.
Best of luck.
I had the stator replaced as well and my car was great for 2 months or so but then the problem came back unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
jrizzuto (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 11:22 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Best of luck.
I don't understand why they wouldn't replace the converter. It's a known defect. It leaks down. The revised converter is the same version in the new ones. Totally different part number.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by yonks8365
I had the stator replaced as well and my car was great for 2 months or so but then the problem came back unfortunately.
Why didn't they do a replacement. Of course the problem came back. That converter is trash. Should have replaced with the new part #.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:45 AM
jrizzuto
Pro

well the reason they replaced the stator is because the stator is the part inside the convertor that was bad to begin with. Some lack of an extra check ball allowed the overnight drain of fluid. So replacing the stator and whatever seals involved was "supposed" to do the trick.
Obviously they were wrong. For those who had their convertor or stator replaced and say its fixed, I urge them to drive the car...put some mileage on it. The issue will return, and in my case, a few more symptoms added in for good measure.
P.S. I do not hold my dealer service department responsible, they did a flawless job. But they can only do what GM tells them to do. In this case GM does not have a real fix.

I still wonder if they replaced the entire trans with the new model they put in 2016s, would that solve the problem? Those of you with newer build dated 2016s may not have enough mileage on it to tell for sure. I'll have to see what my lemon law attorney can work out with them. All I know is I am not happy and $65k poorer. So disgusted you have no idea.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 PM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

well the reason they replaced the stator is because the stator is the part inside the convertor that was bad to begin with. Some lack of an extra check ball allowed the overnight drain of fluid. So replacing the stator and whatever seals involved was "supposed" to do the trick.
Obviously they were wrong. For those who had their convertor or stator replaced and say its fixed, I urge them to drive the car...put some mileage on it. The issue will return, and in my case, a few more symptoms added in for good measure.
P.S. I do not hold my dealer service department responsible, they did a flawless job. But they can only do what GM tells them to do. In this case GM does not have a real fix.

I still wonder if they replaced the entire trans with the new model they put in 2016s, would that solve the problem? Those of you with newer build dated 2016s may not have enough mileage on it to tell for sure. I'll have to see what my lemon law attorney can work out with them. All I know is I am not happy and $65k poorer. So disgusted you have no idea.
The new converter is the 16 and up model. Most everyone with the new part is doing fine. I know several personally. It's a whole different car and has never behaved so well, even when it was new. Best of luck to you! If there is anyone with the new version converter having issues, I would love to hear about it. I've not heard of one yet. Only issues I've heard of are with the old part # or stator replacement only. The only reason I asked why they didn't do a complete replacement is because that is the GM procedure now, along with a trans flush and fluid change. Apparently the stator fix wasn't cutting it.

Last edited by david.a8.z51; 09-25-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

The new converter is the 16 and up model. Most everyone with the new part is doing fine. I know several personally. It's a whole different car and has never behaved so well, even when it was new. Best of luck to you! If there is anyone with the new version converter having issues, I would love to hear about it. I've not heard of one yet. Only issues I've heard of are with the old part # or stator replacement only. The only reason I asked why they didn't do a complete replacement is because that is the GM procedure now, along with a trans flush and fluid change. Apparently the stator fix wasn't cutting it.
I really hope this works for you. It would be nice to see someone happy for a change. Wish it could have been me, but it is what it is. PLEASE keep us posted when you get it back.
I guess I should have insisted they replace the whole convertor and not just the stator.
Good luck.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 PM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

I really hope this works for you. It would be nice to see someone happy for a change. Wish it could have been me, but it is what it is. PLEASE keep us posted when you get it back.
I guess I should have insisted they replace the whole convertor and not just the stator.
Good luck.
I will. It actually is better than when brand new. That original converter was just a design flaw. It should be recalled.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I noticed the blue Vette has the entire rear bumper removed and the red Vette only has the Caron Flash bumper part removed. Does anyone know how to remove the CF part only?

Get notified of new replies

To My Stingray torn apart

Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I noticed the blue Vette has the entire rear bumper removed and the red Vette only has the Caron Flash bumper part removed. Does anyone know how to remove the CF part only?
Look up in here the DIY on removing the rear bumper. Really easy job. Robert
Old 10-01-2016, 11:48 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

So this is what replacing a torque converter looks like.
Sorry for your pain. I did that on my C5 on several occasions in the garage on jack stands. : (
Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

This is why I keep telling my wife "Don't throw your damn spare change in the cargo hold !"

Quick Reply: My Stingray torn apart